dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
This might not be the right forum, but I done made myself a study an come to figure that the firewood fellers proberly use dump trailers. I need advice on a new dump trailer I'm thinking of taking a loan out on. I'm thinking for size 7'x12'...if I get one it's going to be behind my truck everyday, empty on the way to work, and loaded to the gills with log length logs on the way home making deliveries. Gonna have to be tough cause I'm gonna be puttin it to work going down bumpy log roads, dirt roads, bumpy highways and all kinds of rough stuff. Anyways, I was thinking Bri-Mar or Load Trail. I'm thinking a ball hitch would ride the best, not a pintle. Either gooseneck or tagalong style. Proberly don't need it to be a gooseneck but it'd make it harder to steal and easier riding. 14k gvw sound good? I think that something with two taillight/brakelights would be mint so I got backup if one goes out on a haul. Would like one with a spare tire mounted too. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks, Doug

If you're going to load it that heavy, I think most ball hitches are rated to 10,000lb gvw pulling so you'll have to go with a pintle hook. Personally I prefer a pintle hook. Especially when going down bumpy roads.

I don't have a BriMar, mine is a different brand but just look at the thickness of the steel used. If your stuff is going to be dropped in by a loader, you'll really want to make sure that bed is thick or it'll get bent out of shape really quick.

Look at the piston setup as well. I went with the dual piston as opposed to the single, but I probably would have gone with the scissor lift with the single piston if I could have found that one.

There are a TON of different brands out there. Good luck with your search.

I cant tell you what brand to go with but i would go with a pintle hitch. They are a good hitch and will keep every one from wanting to borrow it. I have a pintle hitch bolted to my bumper were the license goes and the recever under my bumper. I dont have a dump trailer but that is my next thing to get.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand you mentioned. I would put a wanted ad on CL looking for one, but trailer dealers are slow right now, so a good deal may be had when shopping.

A pintle rides pretty good when you have a smooth pintle hook on your truck. The ball/pintle combo hitches ride way rougher. You will feel the trailer move around on any 3/4 or 1 ton truck though.

Last edited:
If you can afford it I would go 14,000 GVW make sure it has a scissors hoist. I would go goose neck they pull nicer. I have both bumper pull and gooseneck dump trailers and I like the gooseneck ones better.

I think useing the pintel is better because you still have the whole pickup bed to put all of your stuff or more wood. Gooseneck def. would tow better though.

Thanks for the good advice!

I see load trail has two gooseneck trailers that are appealing, one is 14k gvwr and the other is 9990 gvwr, not sure on which one I need? I will be loading it full of mainly oak logs about 7'x12' of green logs, not quite sure about how heavy that will be.

Thanks for the good advice!

I see load trail has two gooseneck trailers that are appealing, one is 14k gvwr and the other is 9990 gvwr, not sure on which one I need? I will be loading it full of mainly oak logs about 7'x12' of green logs, not quite sure about how heavy that will be.

Just do a Google for "Log weight calculator". I'd post it but it might be a rule violation if I did.

I'd vote gooseneck if you don't need (much of) the truck bed, and if you need that little bit of extra backing maneuverability. Also brakes on both axles would be a lot of extra insurance for not much extra cost.

Watch your gvwr of the trailer; over 10,000 lbs may require a commercial driver's license to haul it. In California lots of these types of trailers are rated at 9995 lbs to avoid a CDL requirement (when in fact it's sporting two 7,000 lb axles, tag on the trailer says 9995, so it's not commercial). If you're doing it "for hire" (for a comercial enterprise of selling firewood), you could get into biannual inspections of your "terminal", random drug testing requirements, etc.

Depends on your state laws. From your original post it sounds like you've got a good awareness of the safety issues involved, which will always go a long ways at scales or inspection points, but proceed with caution. Also think about things like your insurance (does your regular pickup truck policy cover a commercial trailer hauled in commercial enterprise?)

My advice is do not go with a low profile, you will want the extra height of a deck over, it will dump better.
If your going that heavy (14k) you may as well get the goose neck.

I happen to have an All Pro mfg, 7x14 Low Pro 14k dual ram, spare, that has 8' sides made of metal. 4' was original, but the original owner had the extra 4' put on to haul debris. Pintle is bolted on, but you can change it out in minutes, adjustable height, which is nice to take it off completely for security.

It ought to have a new floor put in if you wanted to haul dirt,rocks, but I'd ride it the way it is for logs. I'd also take the four foot extension off the sides.... Good tires. Frame and dumping chassis is very solid.

I just rebuilt my 6x12 with a new floor and dumping chassis, the frame was in very good shape, new tires and wheels, and Ospho and paint, because I needed it for my investment house renovation. Its all I really need to haul my ASV RC-30 around with.

7x14 For sale 2700. If I do the floor and the sides, and fully paint, 4k. I am four miles off I-95 on the beach, come for Daytona 500 or Bike week and take it home with you.

Not sure of the company that makes it but, there are ones that dump to the side as well as to the back. I'm thinking a side dump might be handy for logs when it is raining and the delivery needs to be alongside a driveway and your only other option is to trench their lawn while backing up, risking getting stuck and unhappy customers. As far as lights to back up, most times that circuit is purple and unused, the easiest fix is to buy a cheap set of clear driving lights and mount them on the fenders in metal mesh, powering them off the dump battery on a separate switch in the control box, that is what I did on mine and it works wonders, having them at the widest point helps to avoid running into things in unfamiliar territory as well.

If you are going to be hauling every day you want a gooseneck for many of the reasons listed above. Easier to tow/hookup, harder to steal, friends who want to borrow can't tow it. Much easier to get in and out of tight spots. If you are traveling bad roads it is is only a matter of time before you hit a dead end or have to turn around without much space. I know a few guys who have caved in the sides of their trucks with bumper hitches when making tight turns.
The down side with big dumpers is that they are pretty heavy dry. My 8x14 gooseneck weighs 4400# dry, But can hold 9500# cargo. I still have lots of room in the pickup box to put other stuff.

I've pulled my neighbors Homesteader. It's a 12k lb with dual cylinders and it's 6'x12.5'. It is a tag along but pulled nicely. If I was going bigger than that I would go gooseneck. I didn't have any problems with 6 ton of rock in it behind my SRW dodge 3500. I left the quarry grossing 25,xxx lbs. It is a 2 5/16" ball.

PJ trailers seem to be real good and heavy duty, but the only length for my application they offer is 16'. Which I don't think would be terrible. I also seen Big Tex Trailers they look pretty good too. I can't find a trailer with a price on it, I'm wondering what about they go for.

I agree with a few post back saying about going with a deck over instead of a low pro. I went with deck over and you do get a better dump.

If you are considering getting a longer than 12' trailer, just be sure you can turn it around or back into wherever you are delivering. I have a 12' and I probably wouldn't be able to go any bigger. Some of the places I deliver are pretty tight.

Gooseneck does ride really nice, but I don't haul mine all the time so it's easier for me to just hook and unhook. I don't loan my trailer out at all. I used to do that with my previous trailer but had it brought back too many times with it beat to heck or flat tires. I just tell people to rent one now.

I agree with a few post back saying about going with a deck over instead of a low pro. I went with deck over and you do get a better dump.

If you are considering getting a longer than 12' trailer, just be sure you can turn it around or back into wherever you are delivering. I have a 12' and I probably wouldn't be able to go any bigger. Some of the places I deliver are pretty tight.

Gooseneck does ride really nice, but I don't haul mine all the time so it's easier for me to just hook and unhook. I don't loan my trailer out at all. I used to do that with my previous trailer but had it brought back too many times with it beat to heck or flat tires. I just tell people to rent one now.

good point on the maneuverability, I think a 12 footer might be best. It will be lighter so better fuel mpg and less chance of going overweight. I'm definitely thinking that gooseneck is the way to go, the trailer will pretty much be on the back of my truck 5-6 days/week and I want the smoothest thing I can get. Deck over does make more sense too. proberly 14k gvw is best. I definitely want a scissor boom deal too I think that will be best to lift heavy weight on rough terrain. I think I will try loading in the bed of my truck at first to see how it goes and how reliable the customer source is and then from there make a decision on whether or not getting a dump trailer will be worth the payments.

Speaking from experience, I would try to find one previously owned by a carpenter/ contractor. I purchased a 2004 Cam Superline 12'X6', 12,000GVW single piston back in August from a carpenter who was retiring. You should be able to find one similar on Craig's list for $3,000-$3,500. Beats having a loan & they really don't depreciate much lower.

Back