dump trailer's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Hawke brand trailor. One nice feature is that it has scizor lift hydraulics instead of a straight push.

Regarding the battery, it is charged when the truck is running - at least that is what they told me when I bought it, and it hasn't let me down...

That depends on your light configuration. 6 or 7 pin.

I just ran a 2 gauge wire from the battery to the back of the truck. I used tow truck type jumper cable plugs. I hook it up when I hook the lights up. Works great.

Scott

We have two 18'x8x7 big tex goose neck dumps. They are awesome tandom axle dully 20,000lbs. Pull them with one tons and don't have a problem pulling off large jobs fast. I would love if they were gas powered.

I got a BriMar 6x12 , 10K GW. I didn't want to go any bigger because from what I've heard anything over 10k in combo with the vehicle rating you need a cdl?
I guess if you're not using it for work it might not matter , sorta like towing a camper 5 times bigger than the tow vehicle?

Logs should slide out the back of a regular dump just fine. Guys bring a lot of logs to our mill in dump trucks. Raise the bed till the logs slide back and hit the ground then pull forward.

yeah. I don't know if the grapple will hold those large chunks. I was thinking about a set of forks

Forks are great for picking stuff up off the ground but won't do pick it up out of a trailer. A grapple will pick that stuff out of there just fine. Either style too, the bucket style grapple or a rotating grapple.

I have an ASV RC30 which is just slightly bigger than a walk-behind skid and have the bucket style grapple. (Actually have a root grapple with tines instead of a solid bottom.) I unload trailers loaded like that all the time.

Ive got a 14 ft corn pro, gooseneck w/ 14,000 gvw. it works for everything just about. can load the skid steer in it, we can fit our stumper and mini skidsteer in it to do a job. we use it to load stump chips in it, w/ the mini loader, it just reaches over the sides to dump it in.. hauld wood, stone everything. i just need to get a better battery in it or figure out a direct hook up. my old truck would trickle charge the battery when plugged in to the lights, but my new truck now doesnt charge it.

I've got a 20ft with 4 ft sides 20 k axles and it will dump anything you put in it but not as fast as a pto dump. My grapple truck has an 18 ft dump on it with 5 ft sides. I can pull my trailer up beside the grapple and load it up then load the grapple body. so that makes 38 ft of dump pulling up to most of our jobs, needless to say my chip truck and chipper are for sale.

I not nowif I doing this ok but Idon't care abaut side dump trailers mine dump as good as any other trailer. Mine is 8 x 16, I can put the whole tree on it, or a good sized tree, and I do not have any trouble to dump it. All the trailers above, they are good to do the job, if you know how to do it nice and easy. The only trouble I got sometimes, is that I forgot to charge the battery, so if you have some advises about it, I'm listening.

You have a problem that you need to fix before Mr. DOT gets a hold of you.

1. Wire the emergency break away brake controller into your dump hoist battery.
2. Run a special (+)charge wire back to the battery from your truck. This should run through the trailer plug in. I prefer to run the wire on my trucks hot from the battery with a 30 amp in-line circuit breaker and an ignition controlled relay to shut off the power when the truck is turned off. This will prevent overloaded circuits on your truck and it will protect you from fires and other short circuit problems.

Every time you go somewhere, the truck will charge the battery. If you goof up and run down the battery on your truck by leaving the lights on, you have an ignition-switched reservoir that will help you get started again (also helpful on those cold winter startups). Your emergency breakaway battery will always be charged, and you won't ever need to charge the hoist battery.

Last edited:
You have a problem that you need to fix before Mr. DOT get a hold of you.

1. Wire the emergency break away brake controller into your dump hoist battery.
2. Run a special (+)charge wire back to the battery from your truck. This should run through the trailer plug in. I prefer to run the wire on my trucks hot from the battery with a 30 amp in-line circuit breaker and an ignition controlled relay to shut off the power when the truck is turned off. This will prevent overloaded circuits on your truck and it will protect you from fires and other short circuit problems.

Every time you go somewhere, the truck will charge the battery. If you goof up and run down the battery on your truck by leaving the lights on, you have an ignition-switched reservoir that will help you get started again (also helpful on those cold winter startups). Your emergency breakaway battery will always be charged, and you won't ever need to charge the hoist battery.

Thats how we did our trailer because if we would dump more that once a day then the trickle charge system would not keep up.

Forks are great for picking stuff up off the ground but won't do pick it up out of a trailer. A grapple will pick that stuff out of there just fine. Either style too, the bucket style grapple or a rotating grapple.

I have an ASV RC30 which is just slightly bigger than a walk-behind skid and have the bucket style grapple. (Actually have a root grapple with tines instead of a solid bottom.) I unload trailers loaded like that all the time.

Those rounds of wood were at least 4ft across. How wide does the grapple open up

They're not 4' tall. You can grab them the other way. Mine will open up to like 38" or so.

Some of the rotating style grapples open to a full 4' wide.

No there not 4ft tall. But I didn't think the machine would be able to carry the load that far extended in the front. And are the grapple arms strong enough to hold that weight in. It was my first time using the ramrod. I was impressed with it's lifting power. I was wandering which one would be better if I had to choose one. What do u think?

Take a look at Pronovost dump trailers. My friend has one that is a three way dumper and has drop sides. It is first class and dumps a nice pile unlike many other dump trailers. I have a Pronovost snowblower and it has got to be the best designed and built piece of equipment I own. I've had 4 different dump trailers and they all had there pro's and cons. I felt that my 14' was to long and ate up to much GVW for the roads and terrain I use them on.
Personally I like direct push instead of scissor lift.
http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/remhra.html#routieres

No there not 4ft tall. But I didn't think the machine would be able to carry the load that far extended in the front. And are the grapple arms strong enough to hold that weight in. It was my first time using the ramrod. I was impressed with it's lifting power. I was wandering which one would be better if I had to choose one. What do u think?

I went with the root grapple but now kind of wish I had a rotating grapple. When I'm cleaning up logs after dropping the tree, with the root grapple, you have to be level and straight on to the log or grab a corner of it and then drag it to where you can get straight on to it.

With my ASV RC30 I can pick up those round you showed from the edge no problem. I do have about 300 lbs of counterweights hanging off the back tho. :)

Latest posts

Back