Dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering how everyone with a dump trailer deal with the battery not lasting more than a few dumps on a charge. I was wondering if anyone has done what I have. I ran a welding lead wire under the truck with a a twist lock disconnets at the end so I can diconnect the wire from the truck to the trailer.will post a pic tomarrow. what solutions have you guys come up with ?

I ran a 2ga wire from the battery to the hitch area. I used connectors that a tow truck uses for jumper cables. Made a lead for the trailer also. Now it's charging the battery while you drive. Works great.

Scott

I have a 12' 10,000 lb Bri-Mar and like it alot. It is very heavy duty and will dump anything I have put in it so far.

Looking for some input on dump trailers. I think I'll be buying new. Firewood sales have been GREAT so far, sold the flatbed dump to a guy who's wanted it for a while, and I'd rather have a dump trailer. Will be hauling logs,rounds,
firewood,mulch,scrap, etc. Thinking about a 6x10 tandem, 10K, stake pockets,
D rings, tarp rail, combination tailgate. My question is, low profile or deck over?
I have a skid loader trailer. Pull vehicle, no problem, 06 Chevy CCSB
Duramax/Allison & '97 Dodge Cummins 5spd.
Thanks in advance for your input!

GOD BLESS our VETERANS!!!

I have a Carson 6x12x4 dump trailer for wood deliveries. It works great, is a 10k gvw unit (nameplate) but is rated @12k. We need another dump trailer as well. One to load, one for delivery. Who has the best price out there on a new unit? I have looked on eBay and it seems the best prices are all in the s/e or east coast. Stuck here in the the land of fruits & nuts ( California!) Any insight appreciated.THX:bang:

I ran a 2ga wire from the battery to the hitch area. I used connectors that a tow truck uses for jumper cables. Made a lead for the trailer also. Now it's charging the battery while you drive. Works great.

Scott

Depending on what your'e tow vehicle is, the battery charge lead on the trailer wiring package is usually fuse-protected. When using dump trailers I always blew the the factory fuse. Go to NAPA (or any other good parts house) and get the equivalent CIRCUIT BREAKER to replace the fuse. I have done this on Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. All seem to have the same issue. Also, I replaced the group 27 battery w/ a 4-D battery as well as beefed-up the wire gauge to #10 all the way to the trailer connector.This mod requires some welding/fabrication to accomodate the bigger battery, but is well worth the time and effort. One more suggestion.. get rid of the POS r/v 7-way flat connector and replace it w/ the universal big-rig 7-way round-pin connector. You can get em at any good parts house or truck stop. I know it's a bit of work, but as I pull utility trailers everyday, I strongly reccomend these modifications as I don't have to fart around w/ elec problems anymore!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I have 3 dump trailer and wish I had at least one more. If you are going to do mainly firewood 10ft or 12ft is to small. You need at least a 14ft. I have 2 14ft trailers. They will each hold 2 cord loose thrown with 4ft sides. They are nice because they have ramps and tie downs. One has a hydraulic jack. That is a really nice feature and worth he money. Both of the 14ft trailer are 14k. The other is a 12'x7' deck over with 40" sides. It hauls 1 2/3 cord loose thrown. It is my favorite to deliver out of. I also deliver and stack at houses. Most places get 1/3 of a cord. It's nice to dump the trailer up and let the wood slide back to you. The bark mess says in the trailer and you never have to get in the trailer. I like the high one for this because you don't have to bend over to grab wood it's at waist height. The problem with the high trailer is loading. If you don;t have a machine(front loader) it sucks. If you want to haul a skid loader or tractor it's to high. It's a tough choice. Get one with a 14k rating. If it's made right it will weigh between 4kand 5klbs.

Scott

I use a Carson 6x12x4 12k gvw that we loose load (mounded) .The math works out to 2.5 cords loose. When we deliver the customers are happy when they stack, saying that they get a fat two cords. We cut @14-16 inches. I am asking why you suggest a 14' trailer to deliver the same load. Is it because you cut longer.. hence more air space. We cut clean wood w/ no stubs, and the customers are are very happy w/ the stacked results. Am I missing something here?????:bowdown:

Someday I hope to own a dump trailer. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading and learning from you guys.

So, a question for you two fat guys: Are you comparing the scissor to a double cylinder, or a single? Have you used both?

Just my opinion, but if you look @ the BIG BOYS toys (re com'l big rigs) they all use a massive single-cylinder system. It uses a scissor-type system that evenly applies the lifting force to the center of the load. My 40,000 lb dump TRUCK uses this design. My 12,000 lb dump TRAILER uses the same design. 10 years without any issues. A friend bought a 2-cyl dump TRAILER that has been undergoing reconstructive surgery more than it has worked!! The single-cyl scissor design is far more superior if the trailer is made w/ the right stuff.If you use a single cyl on a POS frame, then watch stuff bend!!!!

Scott

....as well as beefed-up the wire gauge to #10 all the way to the trailer connector.

Yep. For charging, 10 gauge is PLENTY. 2 gauge is way overkill - a waste of money.

Now, if you want to RUN the trailer dump from your truck battery, 10 gauge isn't going to do the job, and the 2 gauge will get it done.

For charging, you want an isolator so you can't drain your truck battery by running the trailer too much.

I have a 6x10 low dump trailer. I do not have barn doors, and wish I did. I have also found times when I wish for a 12'. A friend of mine has a 14' and uses it just like I do, for a mobile dumpster on jobsites. A 14' is a little more difficult to maneuver tight, but holds a lot more.

One note: On his 14' the axles are far back and it ends up with a lot of tounge weight on the truck. Check where the axles are located as far as how it will load your truck.

Once you do get a dump trailer you will love it and find lots of uses for it.

I use a Carson 6x12x4 12k gvw that we loose load (mounded) .The math works out to 2.5 cords loose. When we deliver the customers are happy when they stack, saying that they get a fat two cords. We cut @14-16 inches. I am asking why you suggest a 14' trailer to deliver the same load. Is it because you cut longer.. hence more air space. We cut clean wood w/ no stubs, and the customers are are very happy w/ the stacked results. Am I missing something here?????:bowdown:

I don't think your math is working out. If you trailer is 12ft long and you cut your wood exactly 16" you can get 9 rows stacks on your trailer. Your rows are 6ft wide and 4ft tall. That makes them 24sqft on the front. You need 96sqft on the front to make a cord. Nine rows times 24ft equals 216 front sqft. Divide that by 32(1/3) of a cord gives you 6.75 Divide that by 3(there are 3 4"x8'x16" stacks in a cord) That give you 2.25 cords if you stack that trailer full. Now if you cut your wood 16" I really doubt your getting 9 rows stacked because there us going to be a tad bit of space between the rows. So if you have a back gate it wouldn't close. So stacked that trailer is really gong to hold 8 rows. That would be 2 cord exactly. If you use the match that 180 cubic feet is a loose thrown cord then your only going to hold 1.6 cords. You'll get a little more then that because you'll mound it some. If you customers are happy with that then that is great for you.

Scott

Yep. For charging, 10 gauge is PLENTY. 2 gauge is way overkill - a waste of money.

Now, if you want to RUN the trailer dump from your truck battery, 10 gauge isn't going to do the job, and the 2 gauge will get it done.

For charging, you want an isolator so you can't drain your truck battery by running the trailer too much.

Your right 10ga is enough for charging. I have other people that borrow the trailers. So sometimes they come back with no charge. If I need to dump the trailer right away then I can just hook up and dump. Or if the battery goes dead on anything around the farm the dump trailer get borrowed from till we get a new one. So the 2g works best for me. But if your going to just charge the 10ga is enough like you said.

Scott

i have a 10' ,i wish i had a 12' like i wanted but , this last spring i chould not find one any were, it took me weeks to find this 10' , i hate the swing out door there's alway something in the way , the 14' would be nice but would need a 3/4 ton truck to pull . i mounted a battery holder on side , so i have two batterys . also a side dump would work better, but no one around here sold them.

Dump Trailer

A 14'x14,000lb will haul everything with a F250 7.3 Powerstroke. Remember to have the correct hitch,and ball. I use a 16,000lb pintle; you do not want to shear the ball if it is rated at 10,000lb when you stop.

attachment.php

Nice Trailer and Load of Wood!

We use 2 dump trailers...the small one is 10'X 6'8x2' sides. with a 10,000gvw perfect for deliveries. it has a divider in the center for 1/2 cord deliveries. we deliver between 2 and 10 cords per day and it is easy to back and maneuver and fast. We also have a 14'X6'8'X4' sides with 14,000 gvw for larger deliveries and picking up logs. I would like a larger 5th wheel with 20,000 gvw to add to my collection. DUMP TRAILERS ARE THE BEST INVESTMENT for our firewod business.

Your right 10ga is enough for charging. I have other people that borrow the trailers. So sometimes they come back with no charge. If I need to dump the trailer right away then I can just hook up and dump. Or if the battery goes dead on anything around the farm the dump trailer get borrowed from till we get a new one. So the 2g works best for me. But if your going to just charge the 10ga is enough like you said.

Scott

Makes sense to me! :cheers:

I was wondering how everyone with a dump trailer deal with the battery not lasting more than a few dumps on a charge. I was wondering if anyone has done what I have. I ran a welding lead wire under the truck with a a twist lock disconnets at the end so I can diconnect the wire from the truck to the trailer.will post a pic tomarrow. what solutions have you guys come up with ?

If it is only lasting a few dumps on a charge, you must have a bad battery. I use a marine battery that I've had in the trailer since new. The trailer gets used several times a week and will last months without having to be recharged.

I simply charge it when I service it at the shop. I charge the battery right in the tray while lubing it and checking air pressure etc. The slow 2 amp charge is better for it than the fast charge.

Just my opinion, but if you look @ the BIG BOYS toys (re com'l big rigs) they all use a massive single-cylinder system. It uses a scissor-type system that evenly applies the lifting force to the center of the load. My 40,000 lb dump TRUCK uses this design. My 12,000 lb dump TRAILER uses the same design. 10 years without any issues. A friend bought a 2-cyl dump TRAILER that has been undergoing reconstructive surgery more than it has worked!! The single-cyl scissor design is far more superior if the trailer is made w/ the right stuff.If you use a single cyl on a POS frame, then watch stuff bend!!!!
I find it interesting how different trucks etc.. can be from one part of th country to another. Most of our single axle dumps and small trailers are set up with a single stage cylinder and scissors like you describe (mine included). But Semi dump trailers out east here and tri axle dumps typically use a single telescoping cylinder mounted in a dog box all the way at the front of the body. No scissors of any kind. Just pure pto muscle to shove that thing up.

I find it interesting how different trucks etc.. can be from one part of th country to another. Most of our single axle dumps and small trailers are set up with a single stage cylinder and scissors like you describe (mine included). But Semi dump trailers out east here and tri axle dumps typically use a single telescoping cylinder mounted in a dog box all the way at the front of the body. No scissors of any kind. Just pure pto muscle to shove that thing up.

my single axle has twin teloscopic lifts on a 18' body, nothing stops it:hmm3grin2orange:

Dumps

I switched over to a marine battery and this works out much better!
Only so much time in a day for wood and the last thing you want to do
is have to be in need of a charger.
I have been very happy with my Griffin Trailer. Thanks-CK

Back