Dump Truck Load Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfsdno

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A local small town lumber mill is selling their 'scraps' ... leftovers from milling... Some pieces still have bark, some are ends of boards, etc.

A double axle dump truck, full and delivered, $225.

Sound like a good deal? Are these scraps too small for good burning? I believe they are all oak pieces.

Thanks, Roger

there is a mill in my area that sales slabs for $125 delivered single axle dump truck. all oak sounds like what you are talking about. I bought a truck load last year the stuff is green. lasted about 30 days.

Not knowing the dimensions of the pile on the truck, can only speculate: sounds high.

Note that red oak has high MC when green, so plan on a year or two to dry enough to be burnt cleanly.

Having done some milling in my lifetime, I suspect that you may be getting a lot of wood that is thin and wide. As such, do not expect it to have the same burn time as rounds or split wood.

Okay, that does not seem so good.

Option #2 is the other larger mill (about 30-40 miles away) has the 'ends' of the logs they cant use and will fill my 16' flatbead (has 30" tall sides) for $50. I saw the pile and there are some big 20"-24" ends.

Better deal?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Roger

Its impossible to answer your question without the dimensions of your flatbed. Length is 16', height is 2.5', what is the WIDTH? If I were to assume 6', then your potential load is 240 cubic feet, or 16 cubic feet less than 2 cords.

BUT I doubt the mill is going to tightly stack that wood they give you, so you might get around a cord.

What's it going to cost you to transport and process it? Figure that out and decide if its worth your time.

Sorry, yes it is 6' wide.

Your probably right, they will scoop and dump. Lots of empty space.

I think they will let me load it but I would have to keep to smaller stumps that I can lift.

Thanks for all your advice! Roger

I think option 2 would be the best deal considering the amount of work that may be involved on either one, atleast you should have decent wood when your done, slabs and scraps from the mill are ok even considering the burn time if there cheap enough, recently cut up a bunch of slabs they was all like 10 ft in length.

I recently found someone who will deliver 6 bundles of hardwood slab wood in a tandem axle dump for $160. Sometimes the mills will give it away or sell it for between $5-20 per bundle. Bundles tend to be between 1/2-2/3 of a cord per bundle or about as much (or more) than my truck will (should) hold.

I don't like buying wood, but I consider $25 per pickup load dumped at my house a good deal. Your deal is more like $37.50 per bundle, still not a bad deal if it is the same amount of wood I'm getting.

I like burning slab wood. I wouldn't want to burn only slab wood, but it is nice to supplement with. You probably won't get extended burn times and you end up with a little more ash
because you have more bark. It ends up being a little more handling, but it tends to be less splitting

Back