Dura Disk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curbside

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There was some talk about the Dura Disk for Stump Grinders several weeks ago and several people were expecting theirs within days. How are you guys finding them? Do you like? Do they do what they say they can do?

I personally dont have the duradisk on my machine but I have had several long conversations with a guy who has used one for about 3 years. He says that grinding time is reduced by about 30% over any other wheel type.

yes, i was wondering the same thing....how are the Dura disk boys getting on? perhaps its so good, they are enjoying cutting so much they ain't got the time to share the experience....

You take a very cynical view Treeco, surely you must be urging our stump grinding brothers (and sisters, if there are any.....) forward with the newest and most dramatic innovations in our humble industry.......long life the man (or woman) who takes the chance and spends £100's of pounds to test the latest gismo.......but they do seem a little shy....perhaps it is indeed rubbish!:laugh:

duradisk

mtcates said:
I personally dont have the duradisk on my machine but I have had several long conversations with a guy who has used one for about 3 years. He says that grinding time is reduced by about 30% over any other wheel type.

MtCates, any increase in grinding speed would be a huge plus. my question is at what cost? im interrested in what it cost to operate say for each 100 hours of operation. cost of replacement teeth,bolts,etc.what about wheel durabilty? i have alot of hours on my carlton,never had to replace a wheel. to me it must be cost effective. for now im happy to let others do the testing. could be duradisk guys feel they made a huge mistake and dont want to talk about it... kinda like my bad stock trades i keep from my wife!

I've heard a bit about these too, however still have not seen any pics or information.. What machines do they make them for? Can you still run the same teeth as other wheels do????How much do they cost and how big of a pain to install? Let's hear it...

I am truely amazed at the lack of response from testers/users....lister...you are normally on it by now....come on....user response/experiences required...i am in favour of any and all developments for the benefit of stumpgrinding and anything that brings the process to the public imagination is certainly welcome, this type of product backed by such a big manufacturer sounds good...

http://www.mgt.sandvik.com/sandvik/...us17001.nsf/LookupAdm/BannerForm?OpenDocument

I did some research before this post. The link above shows a picture and info on the wheel.

There are no extra bolts.......The shaft of the tooth is the bolt.

The pockets that fit between the wheel and the cutter have very little wear and last a very long time. They rarely need replacing.

The teeth are about $10.00 US dollars each.

There are rock grinding teeth available for this wheel so you can actually grind through rock. This wheel technology is actually a spinoff of sandviks experience in mining machinery. They just applied it in another area.

You can get this wheel made for any machine by this company. http://www.newriverequipment.com/dd2a.php

There are 56 cutter teeth on the Carlton 7015 disk.

The cost of the wheel including all pockets and cutters, for my 7015 is $2,200.00. Thats just the part and not installed.

The cutters go back 7 inches on this wheel, so, assuming you have the power and sharp cutters, you can take up to 7 inches of wood on a pass. From what I have been told by a man who uses this wheel on a 60HP Carlton 7015, he says that he can cut about 6 inches of wood on a pass if the cutters are sharp. This is grinding Southern yellow pine. To take this much wood on a pass he has to slow the feed rate a little but the volume of wood cut makes up for the reduced feed rate. About 30% grinding time reduction is the result.

Now I have a 7015 myself but with the standard wheel. See attached picture. I can only take 3 inches of wood on a pass due to the fact that the cutters only allow me to take 3 inches,but I use a fairly high feed rate. I can grind ten, 24 inch pine or oak stumps to 6 inches below grade in about 25 to 30 minutes of actual grinding time. Even if I had the duradisk I cant see much of an advantage in time when the majority of my time is spent driving to and from jobs, loading and unloading the grinder, cleaning up the job if required, doing maintenance on my equipment, Billing and accounting, and the many other things associated with this business. Not to mention that the cost of running this wheel is going to be more $$$ than the wheel I run now. I cant see getting this wheel yet because the small amount of time it would actually save me in a week would be insignificant in the whole picture of things.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30374&d=1137718072

Last edited:
Is there any more updates on the duradisk.......there must be some feedback apart from the prohibitive cost...is it available commercially yet?

Thought I'd bring this thread up again to see if there is any feedback on the duradisk. I blindly ordered a duradisk on a new machine, hope it works out. If nobody has any feedback yet I'll leave some feedback in a couple of weeks.

Funny you brought it back up today. I also ordered one for a new machine and today was the first day useing it. I can't compare it to the original because I ordered the machine without a cutter wheel. I put it on a Vermeer SC60TX. I was very empressed and cut a 36" spruce stump in about 3.5 mins. I think I would be able to do it faster yet but still learning the controls. What really impressed me was the small wood chips. The disk really grinds it small. You also can take a huge bite into the stump. The wheel is very impressive and when you look at it you know its gonna cut.

My machine should be here next week, i ordered the carlton 4012 with the lombardini. I figured the dura disk would make a big difference on a smaller machine. I'll let ya know how it grinds next week.

Latest posts

Back