Dust free teeth sharpener, dust collection etc..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went and looked at a used cabinet with a grinder on it, it had a fan and bag for dust collection, but it seemed pretty weak and did not abate the dust like I thought it should. Whats the best bench grinder setup to use with a shop vac? Do they make one with a hose attachment for a shop vac?

Post pics of yours.

No pics but............been sharpening cutters for 20 years.

A workshop vac will work superbly with DIAMOND wheels. It will greatly improve conditions with a green wheel; though you will still need a face mask and a disregard for your health.

All modern grinders have something to attach vac hoses to, they are not all the same. Not difficult with tape and odd bits of pipe.

I run 3 grinding wheels off one 1000w vac in a tiny shed with no face mask & its fine.

Identify the best diamond option(s) for your preferred tooth type & go for it.

I too run a green wheel and diamond for sharpening tungsten chains. Just use a normal industrial vac and it works fine. Very little dust on surfaces after a few hours of use.

I'm really afraid mainly of the tungsten binding agent cobalt, so I sharpen my stumpgrinder teeth in a 25"x21"x19" sandblasting cabinet sitting on my workbench. It has the full window top lid and the 2 built in rubber gloves. I have a 8" bench grinder mounted inside it equipped with green wheels. I have a shop vac hose running from the back of the cabinet through the garage wall to the outdoors where the shop vac is with a drywall/hepa bag in it. Believe me this is the best and safest way to sharpen teeth.
And when operating the stump grinder I always wear a face mask.

Last edited:
Whats the best bench grinder setup to use with a shop vac?

Safety guy here. You have to be careful that a spark from the grinder does not meet up with sawdust or paper filters in your shop vac, especially if you use if for general cleaning, sawdust etc.

Low probability. High consequences.

You might want to check out a fireplace vacuum with a fire retardant filter bag. Or build a fire resistant box/hood to surround the grinder and collect the dust, then vacuum the dust up afterwards (no sparks).

Philbert

Safety guy here. You have to be careful that a spark from the grinder does not meet up with sawdust or paper filters in your shop vac, especially if you use if for general cleaning, sawdust etc.

Low probability. High consequences.

You might want to check out a fireplace vacuum with a fire retardant filter bag. Or build a fire resistant box/hood to surround the grinder and collect the dust, then vacuum the dust up afterwards (no sparks).

Philbert

Good point , so now I'm going to install a fine metal screen on the suction end of my shop vac hose. Like a saws muffler spark arrester.

Back