Dwarf apple tree...help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberfell

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for some insight and opinions on possible cause of wilting leaves, leave discoloration, and trunk split. Histoy: Dwarf apple tree planted last October (not sure of species). The trunk was chewed by a rabbit or the like over the winter. Homeowner sprayed treekote after noticing damage. He figured it would die before spring but it was looking great for a while now this. Any help appreciated, not sure where to go with this.

TF

The damage to the trunk is severe, from the photo at least 50% involved. Not only was the bark rubbed/chewed off, but the trunk is cracked. (My bet would have been on deer rub, rather than rabbit...but you never know.)

The tree could have leafed out on stored energy alone. The leaves look fungal to me and, whereas, the diseases that can hit malus sp seem almost limitless, a stressed tree is going to be more susceptible.

My prognosis from these shots, would not be promising. If you want to wait it out you could leave it alone for this year and see if it leaves out next year. The tree is young and if enough of the cambium is intact on the far side of the tree, may be able to regroup. I would anticipate dieback even if it does survive. The concern of course would be pathogens that could overstress this already damaged tree and become more than it can handle.

If you wish to "wait and see" I would STRONGLY urge protection of the trunk against whatever animal/mammal damaged it.

Sylvia

Yes, we have a plan intact for this winter to protect the trunk, lets hope we get there. Good point about it leafing out on stored energy alone, I hadn't considered that.

Any idea what caused the trunk to crack? I would doubt lack of water based on the high amount of rainfall we have seen this year. I also saw water sprouts on the trunk below the chewing.

With the amount of damage on this tree, I would let any epicormic growth that appears above the graft stay. This might become the new tree. They will also help feed the tree.

The cracked trunk could have been from the physical pressure of the damaging agent (still leaning towards deer rub as I don't see any teeth marks) or extreme dessication due to the extent of injury.

I would go ahead and get my physical protection up. If rabbits, they can chew at any time and if deer they will start rubbing as soon as the velvet comes off.

By the way, what are the glass panes next to the tree?

Sylvia

By the way, what are the glass panes next to the tree?

Sylvia

It's a homemade greenhouse made from an old window. Neat idea.

Do you see any evidence of sun scald? I am wondering if since it has such thin bark it may be susceptible during the winter, possibly leading to the cracks. It's also in the direct south sun. I confirmed it was a rabbit with the homeowner, the snow was littered with tracks while the damage was happening.

TF

Latest posts

Back