Dying Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poncho

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old globe willow that has been spewing sap and losing leaves for a month.... dying I believe. any help?

Mr Maas, I have a gut instict that you are correct, it almost sounds like the sap 'spewing' is a result of it getting crushed out by lack of water? Dunno but am curious about this. Would shading them for a bit help them recover?They are definately water lovers.

:)

I don't know about sap oozing or being crushed out, but it could be insect secretions, like honeydew or something if it's falling from above in little droplets. And depending on where it's coming out, it could be bacterial wetwood, some type of fungal canker, or Frothy flux, like in this picture from the site I linked.

fflux-hr.jpg

Most of the problems are stress induced, most often by lack of water or fast temperature changes.
I bet plant provenance is also a big problem with landscape plants in AZ. There can't be too many tree nurseries around, so most of the stock is shipped in from different areas. Plants from different climates are under stress continually.

K. I can see where something like 'frothy flux' type thing could easily be mistaken for sap, interesting, is it something that attacks willows though? I do understand about a bit about non-indiginous plant introduction, that they need to have specific conditions or as close to as possible to origional habitat conditions. Some, like our favorite 'Broom' bush ,are an enviromental disaster to behold btw. I am not familiar with the location, but I wonder if all of Az is desert is with no water? I am wondering how many of those fungal (?) and bug things could be eliminated just by the climate where they plant is (s are?)? I am also interested what one's best procedure for diagnosing diseases is other than the obvious, like joining such a site as this. Are there rules of thumb that will help a person see if a sickness in a plant or tree is bug/fungus/soil imbalance/poison so that there is a good place to start or is there so much variety (as in each specific species) that this is stupid and too big for generalizations?
These are questions from a terminally curious (or stupid, depending) person who is out to absorbe tree knowlege, thankyou in advance, hey, a man has to start somewhere, sometimes many times :)
Congrats to Carolina btw!!! :greenchainsaw:

Serge :D

A guy in the business has an advantage over the layman, in part because he gets to see so many cases. For example, there have been numerous calls recently about Oak, Maple and other leaves turning brown on th edges and curling up. It's been wet and cool this year so Anthracnose is tearing it up. I've looked at a lot of anthracnose. I could get a call and only hear, I have an Oak...", interrupt and tell them they have Anthracnose, don't worry, goodbye.
Last year it was something else, next year it might be different again. After a while it starts repeating, and all of the sudden you're an expert.
The highlight of your year, then, is if something new comes along. But one's diagnostic process is refined to the point at that time, the solution comes pretty easy.

Ah yes I understand, I guess my real Q was is there a type of index or procedure to diagnose, as in an on-line type thing? Is this something learned in courses or are there existing resources that can be accessed by the masses for our benefit? If such a thing does not exist maybe it might be a worthwhile project for a really, really bored person? I have looked around on google for much time and have not found anywhere where there is a complete definative answer, but, now that I think of it I have not gone to Wikkipedia yet, it could already exist, nm, I go now with thanks.
:)

No, way too many variables. To just identifying the tree is hard. even though there are actually "keys" designed to do that. You're looking for a key to id, and then diagnose a tree health problem. It's just not possible.
To get an idea of what you're up against, google a plant ID key, and try to actually use the key to ID a plant. It's hard. Now imagine what it would take to include all the variables involved in diagnosing a tree health problem.

K Mike, that is what I thought. Last week I did the tree id thing for someone here and found those indexes and search sites, you are right, they are a bit of a bear to deal with. I can see now why it becomes plant specific. Thanks for your kind replies I continue unabated :D

Back