E-classic 2300 OWB Advice / Help / Anything

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Central boiler sent out every owner of this stove a thermostat housing to be installed inline. It is to stop flow to the home until the water temp is 170 minimum. If your boiler still has fire brick on the sides you are to remove it and run temp @ 185 or higher to stop corrosion and from what your saying about wet wood you need to look into it soon

That can not be right, it would be steaming.

I know someone who has one, runs it pretty much full time and her boiling point is 190. And uses uncovered softwood.

Water boils at 212 degrees. Water can steam at a much cooler temp like in your shower for example. The only thing that helps stop corrosion is have it under pressure. 185 degrees will do nothing for corrosion. It will however keep your firebox hotter and heat your house more quickly.

I hope CB didn't send these units out w/out proper testing first. Since the EPA is clamping down there was a rush here in Pa to :
1. Get rid of all old units before June of last year
2. Start selling the new units b/4 anyone else.
Unfortunately when there's a rush to market there may be issues that should have been addressed first. It's one thing to test a unit in a controlled atmosphere. It's quite another when it goes out in the real world.
The gassers are a great idea. I hope these issues are fully resolved for you guys. To me a good unit is one that your only worry is remembering to throw wood in it.

Water boils at 212 degrees. Water can steam at a much cooler temp like in your shower for example. The only thing that helps stop corrosion is have it under pressure. 185 degrees will do nothing for corrosion. It will however keep your firebox hotter and heat your house more quickly.

My water boils at 191 degrees. She is a bit higher so I rounded down.

Apparently the laws of physics don't apply or vary from unit to unit ?

:msp_biggrin:

The laws of physics in this case is Barometric Pressure.

I was a couple of degrees low, but it will vary slightly.

Pressure in a boiler stops corrosion in the water jacket. It will do nothing for the wood side. Higher temp is for less creasote in the firebox. I have a friend with a classic that ran it at 140- the goo would hang in strings from the door:dizzy:. He now only runs 170 :msp_biggrin:. Don't be afraid of the E-classic series I'll have nothing but at my place:in-love:

Pressure in a boiler stops corrosion in the water jacket. It will do nothing for the wood side. Higher temp is for less creasote in the firebox. I have a friend with a classic that ran it at 140- the goo would hang in strings from the door:dizzy:. He now only runs 170 :msp_biggrin:. Don't be afraid of the E-classic series I'll have nothing but at my place:in-love:

The same as with stoves, a friend of mine went over to an elderly neighbour who had been running his stove too cold 'to save wood'

Most of his wood had turned to creosote and blocked his chimney.

Do the CB's need a chemical pack depending on water chemistry? Mine do.

Latest posts

Back