E10 Burns Dolmar 5100 Jug, Fact or Fiction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a test cell?

4 million powerheads, do they put every saw they manufacture through one?

A test cell is a glass enclosure in which every powerhead is put in and runned while checked. Yes every powerhead gets runned in a test cell before leaving the factory. I think Husky and Dolmar as well do the samething..

Well e10 does not care what saw it is in! I have seen them all brands that is scored from it!

It's not the E10. It's because the carb isn't adjusted for it (only a slight H adjustment requried), and/or, it was running way to lean to start with.

Last edited:
Well e10 does not care what saw it is in! I have seen them all brands that is scored from it!

E10 has never scored anything. The over reving from it may have but not the E10 itself. If you have a saw at the max rpm on fuel without E10 and then its put on E10 the rpms go up, or goes lean. Has to be adjusted for it.

E10 also draws water which is a huge pain in the azz. The water problem is much greater than the lean problem with E10, I hate that stuff but were stuck with it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Moving from 50:1 to 40:1 or lower only leans out the fuel mixture even more. The will be less fuel and more oil making it leaner. Also it will increase the viscosity of the fuel ever so slightly which makes it more resistant to flow again ever so very slightly minuscule making it leaner still. I used to ride with a guy who jetted his dirt bike by adding more oil when we rode at higher elevations and it seemed to work. Most people for some reason think that a ratio of 40:1 is richer then 50:1 and that is not the case. The purpose of the 2 stroke oil is only to lubricate not to add to the combustion.

Makes sense. I'll stick with the mix and concentrate on running my saws richer than I used to. Thanks.

Starting 2010 the EPA will indeed be sending moles (undercover) to shops to get limiter caps removed and mufflers modded. If the dealer does it the fine will be so hefty the shop will probably have to close up.

Also come 2010 OSHA will be sending moles out to jobsites. If your the owner of a tree company and you have a man sawing without chaps doing a job for your company the fine to your company will be huge.

If you own a landscape business and one of your guys is trimming without eye protection and spotted by OSHA you the owner will be fined bigtime.

OSHA and EPA have won the war, simple as that, the sons of bit-ches..

Yep, it's sad. An LCO in Syracuse, NY was fined big time for running trimmers without guards.

E10 also draws water which is a huge pain in the azz. The water problem is much greater than the lean problem with E10, I hate that stuff but were stuck with it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I know what you mean. I'm having all sorts of problems with that in a 1971 Volvo with that early Bosh D-jet fuel injection system.

The saw mix was with fresh fuel that hadn't been sitting long enough to have absorbed water, unless it came from the pump that way. I guess that from now on I'll let the gas sit in a glass bottle for a while before mixing it.

Yep, it's sad. An LCO in Syracuse, NY was fined big time for running trimmers without guards.

We got warned last year about EPA and OSHA. Seems something about 2010 they are being cut loose to go create pure hell for everyone.

We were told if a EPA guy slips in the shop and asks to have the muffler cut and the shop does it chance are good that shop will go out of business due to the fines.

Can't win, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I know what you mean. I'm having all sorts of problems with that in a 1971 Volvo with that early Bosh D-jet fuel injection system.

The saw mix was with fresh fuel that hadn't been sitting long enough to have absorbed water, unless it came from the pump that way. I guess that from now on I'll let the gas sit in a glass bottle for a while before mixing it.

Well don't feel bad. I saw some fuel several times last year in units that had been sitting for months on it, half water , half fuel. I even posted a pic of one such unit.

We say 3 months on a fresh batch of mix. Use it or pitch within 3 months.

Far as E10 ruining your saw though thats not so, it may be the cause due to over reving but thats an adjustment issue, not E10. In Va its E10 or nothing and surely Dolmar knows some states have only E10 to offer..

We got warned last year about EPA and OSHA. Seems something about 2010 they are being cut loose to go create pure hell for everyone.

We were told if a EPA guy slips in the shop and asks to have the muffler cut and the shop does it chance are good that shop will go out of business due to the fines.

Can't win, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's interesting that with the given economy the gov is going to fund these organizations, which in the past, haven't had enough manpower for enforcement. Perhaps they feel fines are going to save the worlds economy.

Im very irritated with the governments over involvement in everybody's business.
I think my next day off Im going to rich up my saws, and maybe start planning a muffler mod. F them!

I've bought 2 new saws from the local dealer. And both times they were set rich, I guess they tune every saw that goes out, and so they should I guess. I've never touched them since, they are both on the limiter caps to full rich, and are running on the rich side.

It's interesting that with the given economy the gov is going to fund these organizations, which in the past, haven't had enough manpower for enforcement. Perhaps they feel fines are going to save the worlds economy.

Im very irritated with the governments over involvement in everybody's business.
F them!

+1

And then they say, "Removing the limiter caps and tampering with the needles is a violation of federal law and you may be fined up to $2,000 blah blah blah"

Chain saw cops?? Wouldn't put it pass them. Can you imagine a badge with a chain saw on it? Orwell overlooked that one.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, because I have a good dealer. He set up and tuned my 5100.....Granted a tad rich but I'm sure he did that for good reason.....Although when tweaked just right, is a real gem....I leaned mine out a tad here and there and got it purring like a kitten and it's a fine machine when setup right!

I'll admit the 5100 is on the edge of insanity and may need treated with a little more care in the tuning/setup so as not to fry it but hey I like insanity so the little hot rod Dolmar suites me just fine! :greenchainsaw:

e 10

E10 isn't going to fry your engine unless it was already running lean on 100% petro.
Makes me wonder how/if the dealer adjusted the carb when he set the saw up originally.

I agree the e10 did not hurt your saw. If the e10 hurt anything it would be
carb/ fuel line Etc. If the saw is fryed I would say It was to lean and on the
dealer if he set the carb! Dont let him :censored: you!

Back