EAB confirmed in Kentucky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I cross posted this in the plant health forum but since it is going to radically affect how we in KY gather firewood... here's the bad news.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/808552.html

Two counties... Jessamine and Shelby. Jessamine is two counties away from me. No mandatory quarantine of firewood yet, but it's inevitable.

Ian

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed those triangular shaped, purple thingamabobs hanging in the trees around here. The ID plates on the trees say that they are some sort of test for the EAB.

No EAB here. Fingers crossed.

Our biggest scare at the moment is the Asian longhorn beetle, which has devastated trees in the Worcester, Mass. area.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, there was a big publicity campaign telling tourists and second home owners not to bring firewood across state lines.

OUCH !

We don't have many Ash trees in my area but I know that isn't the case in a lot of places.

Dutch Elm Desease came through here when I was a kid and devastated huge numbers of street trees There was no campaign at the time, that I recall, to inform property owners or tree cutters of how to manage it. If it weren't for some Oaks, Hackberry and Maple trees this city would have lost nearly every tree in sight.

I'd hate to think what our landscape would look like if Oak Wilt was to make it to here.

:censored: I've got 6 ash trees that are infected with EAB,sure I like free and easy firewood BUT these were descent trees last year.

i'm in southern Indiana.....the DNR set out traps on my road and they didn't catch any.....they where north of indy....guess they jumped over us and went to ky...

Latest posts

Back