EAB South East Pa. ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I only know what I read, and from what I hear there have been a few of the bores cough on pheromone traps a couple of counties over from me last year 2013.

What I'm reporting today is a visual that I'm seeing in Delco/Ches. Co. June 2014 and that is a large amount of heavily distressed Ash trees. I don't know if this is related to the sever winter we just had, or fungus rust problem. Any help would be appreciated. I also have posted about the sever problems with White pines in my area, could be related to the Dupont herbicide issue that got hushed up rather quickly

If they have positively identified it within 50 (maybe even 75???) miles of you, I'd assume it is there. Whenever they have a "new find", when the trees start getting cut everybody can see that they were infested longer than it was known to be in the area. If you are cutting any of these distressed trees, scrape come bark off of the upper branches to look for it.

Ash have been taking some big hits from ash yellows, which stresses the upper growth, showing die back similar to EAB infestation. Traditional borers seem to be hammering ash harder the past couple years, esp on these stressed trees.
EAB and old time borers have distinct exit holes out the bark.
EAB holes are bout 1/8"d and are a distinct D shape. Other borers exit holes are round.
D shape hole is positive confirmation.

Back