EAB Spread Rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the proverbial "they" have found that these little green guys can fly much further in one year than they originally thought. I know it was well past our county several years before they confirmed it.

Yup!

Old friend of my eldest brother has been cutting wood fer years.

He said; "noticed the "D" shaped holes years before the warnings of the infestation"

I live in central Minn. No sign of it around here and I hope it stays that way. I have a nice ash stand in my creek bottom. If the ash trees go, the only other tree that seems to grow down there is that, F'n buckthorne!

Sadly it is only a matter of time.

After you see the signs it will be too late.

May be able to afford to stave them from a few 'yard trees' but even treating a few is going to cost some bucks.

EAB was confirmed about 20 miles south of me this past summer. I said my sad goodbyes to the large Ash around us. At end of summer, NH announced the beetle hadn't spread beyond the initial detection zone. Huh?? They've weakened the trees and are using pesticides and natural predators to attack beetles and larvae. Contained, maybe. But what happens as the bugs approach the borders from outside the state?? I suppose if the natural predators can do enough damage they can minimize EAB's effects. In China EAB doesn't kill off the imported American Ash trees because the bugs don't get so prevalent. So there's a chance. But I'm not putting my money on the bipeds' efforts yet.

I was telling them folks at the milling section.

Them logs are some big bucks sittin' on the hoof.

EAB population increases 5,000% every year.

If your number is accurate, that's the offspring from ONE borer in ten years. That's a lot of bugs. I doubt there'd be an ash left on the continent by now if it were correct.

It's in Upper Michigan as of this last summer.
I live in the Thumb and it wiped out all my Ash trees.

It's been here longer than that. We had lots die 2 years ago and I believe the DNR has been setting the EAB traps for at least 3-4 years.

Yup!

Them nasty little larvae eat near every bit of the sap wood.

Tree is girdled and dies a quick death.

We are within 150 miles of the epicenter,
Rather than worry, why not make lemonade out of the lemons?

Latest posts

Back