EAB The Three F's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny's Selected Seeds in Vermont. Now they employee owned, but Rob Johnson is still on developing new cultivars. I think plant breeding is his true calling. We get all our seeds there, wait, Albion, Maine. Sorry. But done typing.

yep. I hitchhiked up to the original farm decades ago, just to meet those guys and get my seeds. Bar none best yankee land specific seeds you can get. They were a real small operation back then. Was a fun little side trip for me.

I think...remembering..my two favs were some 55 day sweet corn (very handy living in maine...) and japanese small trellis melons. You could eat the rind on those things, like an apple, and about that size.

They were developing a dryland rice then, but eventually they gave up on it, I checked back on that some years ago via email and some of the people there remembered that.

yep. I hitchhiked up to the original farm decades ago, just to meet those guys and get my seeds. Bar none best yankee land specific seeds you can get. They were a real small operation back then. Was a fun little side trip for me.

I think...remembering..my two favs were some 55 day sweet corn (very handy living in maine...) and japanese small trellis melons. You could eat the rind on those things, like an apple, and about that size.

They were developing a dryland rice then, but eventually they gave up on it, I checked back on that some years ago via email and some of the people there remembered that.

I know of the company but I have never ordered my seeds from them. I'll have to give them a shot. I wonder if the corn you mention is called King Cool. Saw that stuff this year, was going to try it but didn't. They say it will take a 20 degree F frost.

I'll have to try the melon too. Sounds great.

I know of the company but I have never ordered my seeds from them. I'll have to give them a shot. I wonder if the corn you mention is called King Cool. Saw that stuff this year, was going to try it but didn't. They say it will take a 20 degree F frost.

I'll have to try the melon too. Sounds great.

I've had really good luck with Harris Seed. Ordered all my seed from them last year and was not dissapointed. Some really sweet corn varieties... and you shoulda seen the zinnia's I got... flowers the size of my opened hand, and kept blossoming to the first heavy frost.

I've had really good luck with Harris Seed. Ordered all my seed from them last year and was not dissapointed. Some really sweet corn varieties... and you shoulda seen the zinnia's I got... flowers the size of my opened hand, and kept blossoming to the first heavy frost.

Harris and Stokes Seeds are awesome. But, Johnny's has the highest shipping standards and customer service in the industry. They have an inclination toward Hierloom types. Keep in mind, open pollinated is sustainable. Could be good in a pinch. I like hybrids. All the seeds from the different suppliers come from brokers who get it from the same breeders. Last time I checked, there were only two hybrid tomato breeding programs in the United States. One in California, and I think one in North Carolina. With open pollinated, it's more Mom and Pop. Street level quality for the homegrown Brothas and Sistas.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a gardener, just a few tomatoe plants and leaf lettuce next to the back porch, but my neice is. I'll keep this as short as I can.

I picked a nice coffee can of those big white and black grubs for my sons fishing bait. I filled the can with the mulch leftover around the splitter and put the can in my coal cellar, and forgot about it. When I cleaned the cellar I found the can months later, all the grubs had vanished, and what was left behind was a nearly full can of grub poop. My neice being an urban rooftop gardener is always coming out to my place and getting dirt and clippings and such. She took the worm poop and said she never grew such good herbs in her window box. She wants me to make more. She'll have to get with my son though cause he loves them for bait.

I'm not much of a gardener, just a few tomatoe plants and leaf lettuce next to the back porch, but my neice is. I'll keep this as short as I can.

I picked a nice coffee can of those big white and black grubs for my sons fishing bait. I filled the can with the mulch leftover around the splitter and put the can in my coal cellar, and forgot about it. When I cleaned the cellar I found the can months later, all the grubs had vanished, and what was left behind was a nearly full can of grub poop. My neice being an urban rooftop gardener is always coming out to my place and getting dirt and clippings and such. She took the worm poop and said she never grew such good herbs in her window box. She wants me to make more. She'll have to get with my son though cause he loves them for bait.

The best thing I ever found was spent mushroom casing. I get mushroom kits from PA. Should be mushroom compost everywhere out there. Thanks for the post.

Yeah, my family has bought from Harris Seed for a long time. Good job with the Zinnia's.

I'll be driving past the biggest mushroom mine in the U.S. in about an hour. They do sell lots of mushroom compost around here. Used to be the mines bought a lot of hay also. It was good for the farmers because they wouldn't even bail it. They would load hay into those trash compacters right in the feild and drop the containers off at the mine. Mushrooms are big business round these parts.

Most of the farmers are gone. The land is there and the owners are scrambling for Marcelus gas wells. They plant soybeans one year and corn the next. I've seen close to a dozen springs and or ponds that have been destroyed by the fertilizers that these bigtime farmland leasing operations have put down. I haven't seen a crayfish in my local creek for about 10 years now.

I'll be driving past the biggest mushroom mine in the U.S. in about an hour. They do sell lots of mushroom compost around here. Used to be the mines bought a lot of hay also. It was good for the farmers because they wouldn't even bail it. They would load hay into those trash compacters right in the feild and drop the containers off at the mine. Mushrooms are big business round these parts.

Most of the farmers are gone. The land is there and the owners are scrambling for Marcelus gas wells. They plant soybeans one year and corn the next. I've seen close to a dozen springs and or ponds that have been destroyed by the fertilizers that these bigtime farmland leasing operations have put down. I haven't seen a crayfish in my local creek for about 10 years now.

You're a good guy. Come back anytime.

Gotta Go walk the Belle Dozer.

Gotta go walk the Saint Bernard. She can't wait for Ralphy. Do you exercise your Dog? More threads coming soon.
Don't forget to join and support your Local Rifle Club.

this thread made me think

of why I only seem to log onto this site about quarterly any more. HTF you get up to 150 posts when the month you join the board ain't even half over yet? (this question is either rhetorical or self-answering)

<sigh>

of why I only seem to log onto this site about quarterly any more. HTF you get up to 150 posts when the month you join the board ain't even half over yet? (this question is either rhetorical or self-answering)

<sigh>

Rock and Roll man. I'm good for business.

The EAB seems to be hammering some of the Ash around here. Ash is one of my favorite fire woods but I prefer blow downs for fire wood over masses of trees down due to foreign invasions.

Another foreign import causing trouble. Just look at El Ninio and his whoring sister El Ninia and the trouble they are causing with the weather and such.

I haven't had much luck fishing with "wood shrimp". I wonder if the type of wood they come from has any effect on how well they work for bait ?

Survivor Man, aka, Les the Canadian would eat 'em and live another day to survive another adventure.

The EAB seems to be hammering some of the Ash around here. Ash is one of my favorite fire woods but I prefer blow downs for fire wood over masses of trees down due to foreign invasions.

Another foreign import causing trouble. Just look at El Ninio and his whoring sister El Ninia and the trouble they are causing with the weather and such.

I haven't had much luck fishing with "wood shrimp". I wonder if the type of wood they come from has any effect on how well they work for bait ?

Survivor Man, aka, Les the Canadian would eat 'em and live another day to survive another adventure.

The southern oscillation (El Nino/La Nina events) is nothing new. There are debates over whether they're becoming more frequent and extreme, but it's not like a "new" thing, nor is it really imported, any more than the NAO or the AO or the polar or subtropical jet streams or any other numerous cyclical and random weather phenomena.

Don't have EAB here yet, so don't know about it. Got ashes of course. I take a few, not many, because I know it will get here eventually and I'll take them then.

With that said, I much prefer those giant white grubs I find inside of standing dead tulip poplar for fishing. The bass here love 'em. I call 'em woodshrimp.

I moved to Georgia in 1966 from Mobile. I didn't know shrimp was anything but fish bait till I moved here. Got here and found folks eating fish bait. What a shock.

Latest posts

Back