Early 60's David Bradley gear drive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbabcock

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
My dad had a 1960/61 Sears David Bradley gear drive saw that we used up in Maine while clearing the woods. The only things I remember about it (I was 6 or 8 years old at the time) were that it was heavy, had the chain oil and fuel fills on top, had an 18 inch very wide bar (perhaps 6"), was blue and while and according to dad, had really impressive torque. He sold it many years ago, but I was wondering where I might find information on it. How much power did it have? What did it weigh? How would it compare to the Huskys that I currently run? It turns out that the guy he sold it to is still around and used it for work at his place down the road. I'll contact him next summer and see if he still has it. Maybe I'll make him an offer for nostalgia's sake.

Your old man's David Bradley would be nothing like your curent Huskies. It would cut much slower and almost nothing would be able to stop the chain. When hooked to winch attachments, these saws would pull a very impressive amount of weight. Your new Husky would run at least double the rpms!

Back