• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Early "Sand Cast" Stihl Contra/Lightning Saws or Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for 'sand cast' Contra/Lightning chainsaws and parts to add to my collection. To clarify what I'm talking about for anyone who may not know, this would be machines in the serial number range 82017-86585.

If you have one of these saws, or a partial saw, or parts you'd be willing to let go of (or know somebody who does) I will pay a fair price, or I also have some trade options that include a couple of 090G chainsaws, some 090G parts, an S1 filter housing assembly, an S2 chain, a few non-sand cast Contra/Lightning chainsaws, and a Champ Universal. I'm a serious buyer and looking for serious sellers.

I also keep detailed records of any sand casts I'm able to locate, even if it's not a machine I can add to my collection. If you have one that we have have not previously discussed, please reach out to me even if you plan to keep it. I am trying to learn and document as much about these early Contras as I can, and more data helps fill in the gaps. I would really appreciate it! I have a good list of questions I like to ask ranging from condition and parts identification to specific markings in various areas.

Please PM me if you have anything. Thank you.

Have you been finding any?
They do still pop up on occasion. Over the years I've managed to document quite a few, some with details, some hearsay, but there are obviously droves more out there since they're just a Contra/Lightning to the untrained or uncaring eye. That reminds me, I forgot to include the extra verbiage in my post about wanting information on any, even if the owner isn't willing to sell or trade for it.

I assume you have been in contact with Larry in Ohio. I believe he had several

Back