Earthquake!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWME

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just had a 4.6 magnitude earthquake here in southern Maine. The epicenter was about 8-10 miles south west of me. I was standing in the shop and heard a HUGE thud and then the rumbling and the floor of the building heaved up and then back down again. The building rocked back and forth a few times after that breaking something in the rafters. I scooted for the door and will have to wait to assess the damage tomorrow morning.

Firewood portion of this is that one of my stacks fell over in the yard. We got tossed around pretty good for that to happen.

Last edited:
We're glad you escaped unscathed. I understand that thing was felt over a pretty large area.

Great to hear you are okay!!
But......how did the MS460 you have fair through this?!???!!

I thought my Uncle had farted but nope, it was an earthquake... :D

Looks like they messed up the release of the names of guys involved in the prostitution ring by not giving ages or addresses etc etc. Some poor guy has the same name as one of the "johns" listed and is getting calls etc. Wish they had just pealed off the bandaid and let it bleed instead of ruining reputations for people not involved.

Last edited:
I'm west of Winnipesaukee and we felt it good too. Seemed to last forever. We don't get much for earthquakes around here usually, so it took a bit for it to even sink in why the house was shaking. Funny thing is..... the dog was barking well before my wife or I felt / hear anything.

Used to live in Northern Maine, I remember an earthquake that hit back in the 80's I believe. Was a 6.0 magnitude as I recollect. Epicenter was somewhere out in the Gulf of Maine. Freaky thing to go through. I was in the shower and I remember the rumbling and vibration of the house. Hopped out of the shower, naked as a jaybird and ran down to the basement. It was the dead of winter and I thought I had a roaring chimney fire going. Remember my wife staring at me like I was nuts, standing there, naked by the wood stove, like a zombie dripping water. We finally heard on the radio that Maine had an earthquake. Glad you were ok and hope your building is not badly damaged.

I'm west of Winnipesaukee and we felt it good too. Seemed to last forever. We don't get much for earthquakes around here usually, so it took a bit for it to even sink in why the house was shaking. Funny thing is..... the dog was barking well before my wife or I felt / hear anything.

Interesting! All told I would say it lasted about 6 seconds here. I will never forget the sound or that first shock wave that rolled by. I thought a tractor trailer had just piled up on the side of my shop building!

Got to love our Dogs. They are our eyes and ears:msp_thumbup:

Dusty Rhodes, this earthquate was probably the same that we felt back in Northern NB. If I recall it was 5.5 and happened in early morning hours. Both dad and I both scrambled in the kitchen thinking it was a major problem with the old oil burner furnace in the basement:msp_sad:actually my dad had replaced the furnace with electric baseboard two years before...LOL

CWME it is quite a feeling to hear and feel an earthquake. I'm in a way glad to experience it without any damage but I feel for people that went thru major earthquakes.

Hope you do not have any damage.

Last edited:
Happend 5miles from my house, im up in bangor though and didnt feel anything. My mom called and said it felt like all the trees around the house fell down haha! :p

Wow! Glad you are ok short a little restacking. I've been thinking about that here, all the glass jars sitting on shelves and Garden Goddess's knicknacks... I should build some sort of holders and doors for the shelves. I have never been through one that I felt, so can't really imagine it.

Whoa!!

4.6 is enough to spill your beer and is getting serious! Good to hear nobody got hurt and all is well.
Been through a couple rumbles in the low 5's out west and they will definately get your attention.
Usually though, they are a precursor to a good thumping out there though, so ya wonder what's coming next.

Time to head south to the border with New Hampster, and make sure some drunk hasn't loosened the bolts playing a prank..
Those guys get bored towards the tail end of leaf peeper season and tend to get into mischief.

I'm hoping the 4.6 was the main event, and not a wiggle before the big one.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Used to live in Northern Maine, I remember an earthquake that hit back in the 80's I believe. Was a 6.0 magnitude as I recollect. Epicenter was somewhere out in the Gulf of Maine. Freaky thing to go through. I was in the shower and I remember the rumbling and vibration of the house. Hopped out of the shower, naked as a jaybird and ran down to the basement. It was the dead of winter and I thought I had a roaring chimney fire going. Remember my wife staring at me like I was nuts, standing there, naked by the wood stove, like a zombie dripping water. We finally heard on the radio that Maine had an earthquake. Glad you were ok and hope your building is not badly damaged.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Just read this, do you replace coffee stained monitors and keyboards?

I was in the shower and I remember the rumbling and vibration of the house. Hopped out of the shower, naked as a jaybird and ran down to the basement. It was the dead of winter and I thought I had a roaring chimney fire going. Remember my wife staring at me like I was nuts, standing there, naked by the wood stove, like a zombie dripping water.

No, we don't need pics as proof...

Got the stack of wood cleaned up tonight. It was slated for moving to the basement anyway. Inspected the shop building this morning and I can't see any damage. I must have been hearing the tin roof creaking with the shaking we got.

Say what you may, but there has been wierd weather this past 10 yrs.

Latest posts

Back