Easiest Way to Sell Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikefunaro

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm just jabbing at the creamsicle crew stihl has started to use metal on the 70cc and up saws...441 and so forth, 261 and 361 and 362 are plastic unless you get an arctic model...the husky are metal on the 346/550 and up...

I also give husky a nod for having pro-constructed models available at consumer/prosumer/firewood friendly prices. Think about the 555, 359, 365, plenty of pro built saws that don't totally break the bank vs big expensive clamshell models like the 391...

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
just curios but why do say that? they don't turn no faster do they? is it not just a difference in port design?
if you mean newer saws in general then yep, I agree. i'll prolly still have the old 10mm 044 when all the rest of um are gone.:laugh:
By design, a strato saw burns less fuel mix..
What cools the two cycle engine?
That being said, the fuel savings alone will pay for its own replacement..

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
By design, a strato saw burns less fuel mix..
What cools the two cycle engine?
That being said, the fuel savings alone will pay for its own replacement..
I could expound, but that would be a terrible read...
But I will say, the ported 562 is such a pleasure to run, I really don't care how long it lasts... It's the smoothest, best balanced freaking light saber I've ever run... Of course it's got about 50 tanks on it right now, but DAMN!!!
Ya just gotta use one to understand...

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
I see hedge, so its a EPA thing, not for performance then.
I feel that way bout the 461, it is all together different than a 460. a dang nice saw to run, hey they get it right once in a while lol.
Yup... It's all about what comes out the exhaust... The 461 is a really great performer... Smooth in the vibe department, but good torque.. We like to poke fun of engineers, but they just doing the best they can within the confines of that blasted EPA...
461= winner
562= winner

BDM53ENT

BDM53ENT

ArboristSite Operative
I guess I will go ahead and get some rocks thrown at me, its been a rough day anyway :p

The best way to NOT sell any modern saw is tell them to research it. They find out that no matter the brand they need their muff modded, head ported pooted and polished, the squish squashed, the twin unobtaniums sphincterized and crankshaft stroked with kryptonite bearings to make any power. Save them the trouble and tell them to buy 50 year old Homelite or Mac thats ALL metal, aluminum and magnesium.

I will now go hide in my underground doomsday shelter :ices_rofl:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
I could expound, but that would be a terrible read...
But I will say, the ported 562 is such a pleasure to run, I really don't care how long it lasts... It's the smoothest, best balanced freaking light saber I've ever run... Of course it's got about 50 tanks on it right now, but DAMN!!!
Ya just gotta use one to understand...
I feel the same way and mine is STOCK! This might be the only saw made that doesn't need porting! But I sure do enjoy running ported saws! Actually I'm surprised I've had it two years and not ported it...
:givebeer:

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Strato development was driven by the need to meet emissions rules. Just like with everything else a corporation will not spend a penny on R&D unless they think they need to, and that is usually in response to an aggressive competitor or regulations. Like many industries chainsaws had consolidated into commodity products made by a couple of manufacturers that were fat and lazy. They each had their comfortable share and so they could cut development costs and rake in the profits as long as no one rocked the boat too much. Usually in that mode the main focus of whatever development money is spent is on reducing costs. That's a very common situation and doesn't lead to technology advances.

It takes something to disrupt the fat, dumb and happy party in order to get the development ball rolling. With the new regs smaller companies saw an opportunity (Zenoah) while others decided they would rather go out of business (McColluch).

Reducing emissions means improving efficiency, and that in turn is generally related to improving performance, just as it was in the automobile world with EFI, and now variable valve timing and direct cylinder injection. Remove the pressure of meeting tighter emissions targets and the manufacturers will reduce their development budgets and increase management bonuses.

The strato design is an elegant and effective solution, requiring only one additional moving part (the air valve) and directly addressing the scavenging loss problem. Strato allows different port timings which improve power output. One example is that the angle between exhaust and transfer opening can be reduced because this doesn't result in as much unburned fuel lost out the exhaust port. The GZ4000 is a far stronger saw than the G3800, much more than the 2cc would account for. I doubt the slightly reduced volume of mix passing through the case will be a problem from a lubrication point of view, and I'm not sure that the cooling is reduced overall as there is a greater volume of air moving through.

The other half of the emissions problem is the terrible mixture control of traditional carbs, and this is now being addressed with feedback carbs.