East coast faller's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do 70,000 plus bf per month and pulp cordage. I'm a one guy show with a Husky 390 and a 25 year old Franklin forwarder. I try not to take off work at all. I've got 5 kids to feed ya see and I eat a hell of a lot too. Theres plenty of weather/break down days for vaction time anyway. My goal is 1 million feet this year plus a thousand cords ( my year starts and ends with break up). I'm somewhere around 800mbf right now.

Interesting. I want to take over the mill with his son but good fallers is the biggest problem. Sadly it's not the market but work ethic that will kill his mill. Maybe that's my calling

Well if markets on fir here in the northwest keep it up you guys maybe to get some of our guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Roy, what's the name of your FIL's mill? I'm from gladwin and me and brother handcut all our timber. The average mill pay for our area is $100-105 per mbf on the doyle scale which is hard making a living working for that unless they keep you in stellar timber all the time. There is good hand cutters around but most are buying there own timber and making a lot more money by doing so. In the last few weeks I received three phones calls from mills I have sold to in the past looking to get wood produced. Until they up there pay they are going to have a hard time finding anyone good to produce for them. Hope things work out for your FIL mill hate to see any mill tank.

Keen, where you been? is that 105 and you haul it? i couldn't do that. some mills are paying 150 here but you have to haul it. thats about as low as i could do it for.

Playing in the cold man, hows things going down south? 100 to 105 on the landing. Its ok in big timber but if they have you cutting small timber the scale hurts.

Playing in the cold man, hows things going down south? 100 to 105 on the landing. Its ok in big timber but if they have you cutting small timber the scale hurts.
i can't complain, tho i do lol. it was really wet, now its really cold. it will be very wet again soon. such is logging.

Only spend roughly 3 maybe 4 months a year in big nice wood but roughly 350k last year one year we did just shy of 700k maybe five years ago. The rest of the year is in 20 to 40 year old plantation Doug fir thinnings that I thank god we have a harvestor for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keen,
There're up near Pellston. He said that's about right for Doyle but he doesn't use it. Not enough big lumber to scale with it. He uses scribner and does it loosely. His dad started the mill in '45, my FIL's been buying/marking for about 25 years or more. The mill is the only job he's ever had.

Latest posts

Back