Easy starts, no strain on my shoulder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Since I've gotten lots of tips from this forum, I wanted to try and contribute one. I've come up with the following method for easy starts with my Husky 445, even on the coldest of days, even after a long idle period.

Instead of yanking the starter cord really hard in the usual fashion, first I slowly, gently pull the starter cord out all the way several times. I usually do this 5-6 times. It puts fuel in the carburetor in a way that's very gentle on your arm, and very gentle on your starter cord.
THEN, I pull the starter cord hard, making sure the compression button is down.

Using this method, my Husky has never taken more than 3 pulls to start - ever. 90 % of the time, it starts on the 2nd pull. About 20 percent of the time, it starts on the first pull if I can blip the throttle fast enough.

I do this for 2 reasons. Since I'm getting on in years, I don't like straining my shoulder. I also don't like putting more strain on the starter cord than necessary.

For about 45 years I just put up with having to pull really hard, many times to get small engines to start. But it never made much sense to me to put such mechanical strain on the rope, much less jerking the saw or the mower or the blower all over the yard.

Now I only pull once. Maybe twice. And the compresson button means I don't even have to pull with a great deal of force.

Nothing is as frustrating as something that won't start. I've read that some tree pros have become so enraged at a balky saw they've thrown it to the ground from 60 feet up, even though it cost $500.

It's a good feeling knowing that my saw will start as reliably as a new car, that the cord will last forever, and that I'm not going to put unnecessary strain on my shoulder.

Regards,
Tom

Since I've gotten lots of tips from this forum, I wanted to try and contribute one. I've come up with the following method for easy starts with my Husky 445, even on the coldest of days, even after a long idle period.

Instead of yanking the starter cord really hard in the usual fashion, first I slowly, gently pull the starter cord out all the way several times. I usually do this 5-6 times. It puts fuel in the carburetor in a way that's very gentle on your arm, and very gentle on your starter cord.
THEN, I pull the starter cord hard, making sure the compression button is down.

Using this method, my Husky has never taken more than 3 pulls to start - ever. 90 % of the time, it starts on the 2nd pull. About 20 percent of the time, it starts on the first pull if I can blip the throttle fast enough.

I do this for 2 reasons. Since I'm getting on in years, I don't like straining my shoulder. I also don't like putting more strain on the starter cord than necessary.

For about 45 years I just put up with having to pull really hard, many times to get small engines to start. But it never made much sense to me to put such mechanical strain on the rope, much less jerking the saw or the mower or the blower all over the yard.

Now I only pull once. Maybe twice. And the compresson button means I don't even have to pull with a great deal of force.

Nothing is as frustrating as something that won't start. I've read that some tree pros have become so enraged at a balky saw they've thrown it to the ground from 60 feet up, even though it cost $500.

It's a good feeling knowing that my saw will start as reliably as a new car, that the cord will last forever, and that I'm not going to put unnecessary strain on my shoulder.

Regards,
Tom

NIce tip!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

Getting old is not for the timid.

I have several hard pullers with no compresion release. Left arm, elbow and wrist are also bunged up. I came up with a holder for the saw.

attachment.php

And some have 'D' handles.

Hurting with compression release?

Thats pretty bad. I rarely use mine on the MS362 I have. Usual method is between the knees, pops on 2, starts on the next pull. If its real cold or I don't feel like doing it that way I place the saw on the ground, left hand on the front handle, right foot holding rear handle down(size 13s so its a challenge to get a toe in the rear handle), I then make a quick pull straight up towards my chest, not back and over the shoulder. This eliminates awkward rotation of my shoulder and is really quite easy on me.

Latest posts

Back