Eat your hearts out (whinning not allowed)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For free today I was given (wait for it) a Mac 610 Timberbear. A real man's saw a treasure.:jawdrop: Ya'll can start shooting me now, I just couldn't resist telling I was so happy. NOT! Free is Free, and it runs.

For free today I was given (wait for it) a Mac 610 Timberbear. A real man's saw a treasure.:jawdrop: Ya'll can start shooting me now, I just couldn't resist telling I was so happy. NOT! Free is Free, and it runs.

Not a bad saw, I would totally run it.

To me, the last real saw MAC made...

Not alot of chain speed, pretty heavy, hard to pull, LOUD...but vibes are livable, and power is very nice.

It will pull a 20" .375 bar without complaining at all.

aux. manual oiler is a nice feature you dont find on alot of saws anymore...

It's also a good idler too..fun little saw to use...just loud.

aux. manual oiler is a nice feature you dont find on alot of saws anymore....

This is a feature I wish all saws still had... whether they have an auto oiler or not. I like having a manual oiler. Especially when runnin' long bars 28" and longer... :)

The auto oiler on a PM605/610/650 series, when working properly, will put out a lot of oil if you want it to.

Gary

There's an Eager Beaver and a Timber Bear (same seller) on our local Craigslist.

How would you old-timers say they compare to a Homelite Super XL?

I'm guessing the power is similar, but the XL would be lighter, tougher, more dangerous (no chain brake), and vibrate more and break down less.

This is a feature I wish all saws still had... whether they have an auto oiler or not. I like having a manual oiler. Especially when runnin' long bars 28" and longer... :)

The auto oiler on a PM605/610/650 series, when working properly, will put out a lot of oil if you want it to.

Gary[/QUOTE

I had the same thought-would pay extra for that. Must be a conspiracy to save motion lotion:rant:

There's an Eager Beaver and a Timber Bear (same seller) on our local Craigslist.

How would you old-timers say they compare to a Homelite Super XL?

I'm guessing the power is similar, but the XL would be lighter, tougher, more dangerous (no chain brake), and vibrate more and break down less.

I was going to comment on this question, but didn't want to be lumped in with the old timers....

Im not old timer (22) but Id take a ProMac 610/TimberBear over a super XL any day of the weak, and on Holidays.

More chain speed, more low end grunt to me, and more user friendly. Has a good anti-vibe setup that really doesnt deflect in the cut, my only complaint is the gas tank is small.

Doing serious cutting, non-stop, Id venture 10 minutes to a tank full...You fill it up, and suddenly you are like..bogging, already?

I guess I'll have to eat a little Crow

Cleaned it up, fresh 50:1, handed it to Josh with a sharp chain. This old thing cuts, and pulls great, ugly as sin, and loud, but cuts excellent for what it is. Josh decided to keep it so I wouldn't get hurt. What a generous Son:)

OK boys, here's your geezer moment...I know/knew men who were pros, one of my close friends worked for electric utility contractors since he was 18 until recently...45 or so years of experience. In the day, they preferred Homelite over Mac, mainly for the durability factor...XL's were the weapon of choice.

Latest posts

Back