Ebay 024 queries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow i shall be going to pick up a Stihl 024 that needs a bit of attention. It needs a sprocket, (unsure what type until i get it as the seller seems like a bit of an idiot!) guide bar, chain and a bar nut as far as i know. The seller says it sometimes doesn't turn off, could this be a loose wire? How do i check that?

What guide bar should i get? Should i get it back to standard with a Stihl Rollamatic or buy a cheaper (£££ wise) bar such as an Oregon or JAKmax?

Also what chain should i get?

Anything else i could do to it? Obviously it needs a clean, which is the thing i am looking forward to the most... I have been thinking of fitting an elastostart, i know it's not necessary, but why shouldn't i?

Here is a pic of it, nothing special as you can see, but hopefully when i have worked a bit of magic on it then it will!

c748_1.JPG

Nice little 024 you got there to fix up. The Stihl Rollamatic in either E or ES is one of the best bars for that saw but Oregon and Windsor are also good choices. The 024 works best with .325 chain and if its Stihl the RSC is the smoothest and fastest cutting chain for clean wood. You need to match your bar and chain to the same gauge, not sure what is most common over there but .050, 058 and 063 are common ones here. You won`t know what it needs until you get it and try it out but you can check the fuel filter, gas lines and air filter for cleanliness and flow. Check the spark plug and check the gap and its physical condition, clean it and reinstall if Ok. Put in fresh fuel mix and bar oil after installing bar and chain, then start it up and see how it runs. Let us know how it works out for you.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks mate! :)

The guage is 0.63 for the 024/240's over here.

Unsure of what size bar to go for though.

Bar size

Optimum bar size for the 024 is 16" in .325", in my opinion. Anything more and you only decrease the saw's performace. I have 16" bars on both my 024s and they work very well.

Bar length is usually chosen for the type of use the saw will be engaged in the most. For a trimming saw where reach is important then a longer bar comes in handy,if bucking is its primary use then a longer bar is easier on the back but a small saw like the 024 cannot pull chain with the bar buried in big wood but for smaller wood 8"-12" it does well enough with a 20" bar for bucking. For all around general use then the 16 or 18" bars are better. My cutting buddy has a 12" bar on his and runs it one handed while tree topping and delimbing/tree removal jobs. Just remember the 024 is not a powerhouse so you have to let it run more freely and not put heavy pressure on it, keep the chain really sharp and it will cut about anything you would want to tackle.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks guys for your replies. I have the saw now, and i have posted pics of it in another thread. It seems a nice little saw, i haven't started it up yet, i spent all yesterday afternoon and night cleaning it. Hopefully get some gas in it and see if it runs. I'm in two minds whether to sell it on once i have completed the project of fixing the sprocket and fitting a new bar and chain. It also has a dodgey kill switch, so i have got to look into that aswell.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, David.

Back