EBAY Chain - Did I get the wrong chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeJape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After some questions a week or so ago, I was directed towards the Stihl RMC chain as a good option for cutting dirty old wood for a cleanup project. I didn't have any luck finding this at the local dealers, so I ordered a loop on EBAY. The auction said to specifiy RMC, RSC, or RMC2 chain. I put this note in the paypal comments:

Note: Please send .325 .063 RMC chain w/ 67 drive links - 26RMC-67

I recieved the chain today, in a Stihl box with yellow warning label on the back. There is no designation on the box as to what kind of chain it is, except for the handwritten 26RM67 that I found under the shipping label. I took a photo of the chain. I think that this is a safety chain. However, it does have a yellow painted link on it.

What do I have here? Should I complain to the seller?

- Jason

Last edited:
I'm not up on the lingo and r's and s's and whatnot 'cause my dealer knows me and knows I don't want safety chain, which is what you got.

It's good for dirty conditions.

You're AOK.

Who cares if a chipper chain is safety or not?

Fred

OK - next question:

Do ya'll think I got ripped off purposely (yellow box, yellow paint) - or could this be an honest mistake? Is there some reason why an EBAY seller would benefit from selling safety chains as non-safety chains - perhaps to ditch chains that come with new saws that nobody wants?

I will ask him for a refund/exchange and see what happens.

- Jason

Mr.,

You are probably right in all respects. My problem is that I think I might have gotten ripped off on purpose - which always burns me up.

What would have been nice is if my saw dealer had the chain. He seemed to know a lot about the saws, but was only familiar with the full chisel chains. He told me that all of the RM and RMC chains were safety chains, so I decided to look elsewhere. I should have been more persistant and asked him order what I wanted but I didn't feel like arguing.

I suppose you get what you get on EBAY sometimes. :dizzy:

- Jason

The yellow painted link is just the standard yellow replacement tie strap that's used to mend any Stihl chain (all the tie straps that come extra with a roll are yellow, so you don't mix them up with used tie straps that may be bent or kinked from breaking the chain.)

As far as chain type goes you have RM-2 chain there, which is the slowest cutting chain Stihl made. It is good for dirty conditions.

Jacob,

Thanks for the information. This makes me more inclined to believe that it was an honest mistake, since the seller did offer RMC2 chain as an option. He probably makes the chains from a roll and sells them.

- Jason

The yellow painted link is just the standard yellow replacement tie strap that's used to mend any Stihl chain (all the tie straps that come extra with a roll are yellow, so you don't mix them up with used tie straps that may be bent or kinked from breaking the chain.)

As far as chain type goes you have RM-2 chain there, which is the slowest cutting chain Stihl made. It is good for dirty conditions.

Every shop that cuts their own loops around here use different color painted links depending on chain; that box is just a bulk box for use when you make your own loops; shops usually fill in the description of the chain that is enclosed on one of the ends.

FYI - I contacted the seller and he apologized for the error and offered to send me two RMC chains as replacement.

We will see what happens!

- Jason

Latest posts

Back