Another Stihl chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went to my local Stihl dealer today to get a semi-chisel chain for my MS260. A 26rm67 to be precise.
Dealer asked what saw and bar. I told him "MS260 pro with a 16" bar. He typed it into his computer, then said don't carry any!!!? No one buys them, as everyone only wants full chisel.
Being in somewhat of a bind I reluctantly decided to buy a full chisel.
Went through the whole "what saw, what size bar" thing again. He typed it into his computer, then went to his storage room, and handed me the chain. I payed and left.
While driving I happened to glance at the box and noticed that it said 62 drive links. Upon further inspection, it's a 26RS62.
40cm (16") bar, .325 pitch, .063 kerf, 62 drive links.
That's my confusion. Aren't Stihl 16" bars with a .325 pitch usually 67 drive links.
I haven't gotten home yet to see if it'll fit, but I doubt it.
Are there different sized 16" bars that I've never noticed?

Went to my local Stihl dealer today to get a semi-chisel chain for my MS260. A 26rm67 to be precise.
Dealer asked what saw and bar. I told him "MS260 pro with a 16" bar. He typed it into his computer, then said don't carry any!!!? No one buys them, as everyone only wants full chisel.
Being in somewhat of a bind I reluctantly decided to buy a full chisel.
Went through the whole "what saw, what size bar" thing again. He typed it into his computer, then went to his storage room, and handed me the chain. I payed and left.
While driving I happened to glance at the box and noticed that it said 62 drive links. Upon further inspection, it's a 26RS62.
40cm (16") bar, .325 pitch, .063 kerf, 62 drive links.
That's my confusion. Aren't Stihl 16" bars with a .325 pitch usually 67 drive links.
I haven't gotten home yet to see if it'll fit, but I doubt it.
Are there different sized 16" bars that I've never noticed?

My 18” bar has 72 links, 16” bar has 67, I’m guessing that 62 links is a 14” bar chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t see that link you posted Harley. I was just assuming since my MS261 uses 26RM72 & 26RM67 for 18” & 16” respectively.
I saw where the 26RM62 fits a 16” on a MS250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the 62 and 68 link loops are oddballs for sure. Most folks at Stihl dealers are not real sure about things most of the time.
I agree and that's why I started making my own chain loops about 12 years ago. Case in point: a guy just came into my shop with a vintage Stihl 012 AV running a 16" bar. The dealer had just sold him a 50-link chain loop for it.

I had the same issue with semi chisel not stocked at one of the local dealers.
I stopped in to snag some 16” 3/8 semi chisel non safety chain for my 26o & 261 & they had to special order it. They had it in safety chain low kickback green tag but no yellow tag non safety.

Depending on your location, many dealers are focused on homeowner saws.

Like Harley said, you got a chain for the open tail 3005 mount bar. The closed 3003 bar uses more drive links.

My dealer doesn’t even carry anything in 404, not even a rim sprocket.

You’ll be happier with how the RS cuts vs the RM. Just be ready to sharpen it more. I prefer RM with lowered rakers for real work.

Latest posts

Back