Ebay cheap saw with melted case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have just purchased a MS180 of ebay. Very cheap and very pleased with it for what I paid. Started first pull, loads of compression runs sweet. Purchased as a non runner so nice that it runs. Sold as spares and repairs due to heavy melting behind the clutch. Have taken it all apart and the casing is very heavily melted. Clutch looks fine. Taken the clutch off and run it. runs great. When I put the clutch back on with sprocket it runs ok but as soon as I put the brake on it stalls.

Firstly any idea what caused the problem to start with and any ideas why it stalls. It runs freely by hand when the brake is off and the roller bearing is fine. Have posted photo of melted area.

Not paid very much for this saw so not un-happy with it considering it runs perfect with the clutch off so good engine.

View attachment 93080

If it stalls with the brake engaged then the clutch is dragging causing the heat build up. New clutch springs?

Would the tension springs have caused the original problem do you think? it was only a few months old this saw had very little use so would of not thought the springs were worn, and all 3 were still in place.

Would the tension springs have caused the original problem do you think? it was only a few months old this saw had very little use so would of not thought the springs were worn, and all 3 were still in place.

I have a 180 myself. Difficult question if its a newish saw but the springs keep the shoes closed up and are overcome by the rotational speed of the clutch which then engages giving drive. By the sounds of it the previous owner has overcome the binding and stalling of the clutch by over revving it causing the heat damage you describe. The only other thing i can think of is a clutch choked with debris which cannot work as it should.
Someone else might post another sugestion.

Cheers Andy.

Imagine this scenario (not saying it's the truth, just one possibility):
Homeowner saw, newbie owner. Brake is activated. Owner squeezes trigger, engine moans, chain doesn't move. Huh. Pull throttle again, still no cuttie. !Q%!&$*(^%& !
Hold throttle open, wait for the engine to clear its throat and run clean. Smoke starts coming out from under the bar cover, but engine still won't rev high enough to turn the chain. You now own a spares saw with melted plastic and limp overheated clutch springs from holding the throttle open with the brake engaged.

you may have hit the nail on the head. When I took delivery of the saw and took it out of the box it was like pulling a brand new saw out. Shiny and unmarked. So I got this brand new saw now with a rough melted bit behind the clutch. Im thinking could try to grind it all down smooth, if not then its a shame as it will end up a spares saw.

I have 3 025's and 1 021. All with the clutch side of the cases melted out. Motors were fine. I have no Idea how anyone can run these with the chain brake on and not know. I touch the throttle on any of my good saws with the chain brake and they don't move. The only thing you have to worry about is the chain oiler gets melted out. Once that happens it's a goner. The gear is surrounded by plastic.

I would start laughing, but I've gone home with 3/4 of a load due to a brake engaged..:jawdrop:

Ooops...at least I didn't try to power out of the problem..hehe

It's got to be a case of bad clutch springs or rim bearing...

Latest posts

Back