ebay imports

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flushcut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Howdy guys, I was wondering if anybody had any trouble with customs importing a saw they had purchased off ebay? I am bidding on one from BC. The question is what are the duties, taxes, and the red tape if any? I tried the web site but like with any GOV.PAIN IN THE AZZ site I found no real answers. Thanks for any insight or hard fought knowledge.:cheers:

BC as in Canada should be fine. I've bought saws, truck turbos and other things from Canada and the shipping is just a little longer because they open everything I believe.

Shipping across the border,either way, will take about two weeks. I have bought and sold saws from the US and never had any problem. There is supposed to be a duty on everything over $20 value but I've never paid it yet. I think it's kind of a random thing.
I think if you dissasemble the saw a bit and mark it as ''saw parts'' you will have less trouble.
The post office in canada is a joke IMO. A saw you guys could ship across the country for $25 would cost me $60 here to go the same distance. Canada post is a monopoly owned by the government , so they charge whatever they want...........

Shipping across the border,either way, will take about two weeks. I have bought and sold saws from the US and never had any problem. There is supposed to be a duty on everything over $20 value but I've never paid it yet. I think it's kind of a random thing.
I think if you dissasemble the saw a bit and mark it as ''saw parts'' you will have less trouble.
The post office in canada is a joke IMO. A saw you guys could ship across the country for $25 would cost me $60 here to go the same distance. Canada post is a monopoly owned by the government , so they charge whatever they want...........

I get so frustrated by the difference in for shipping to our neighbors to the south, as opposed to what it costs to send the same item from the US to here in Canada. I truly believe Canada Post is cashing in on Ebay, as they know they have the only viable shipping option out of country.:angry:

With that rant out of the way, shipping saws back and forth has never been an issue for me. I've sold two saws recently to the US and they arrived just fine with no extra charges.

I get so frustrated by the difference in for shipping to our neighbors to the south, as opposed to what it costs to send the same item from the US to here in Canada. I truly believe Canada Post is cashing in on Ebay, as they know they have the only viable shipping option out of country.:angry:

With that rant out of the way, shipping saws back and forth has never been an issue for me. I've sold two saws recently to the US and they arrived just fine with no extra charges.

Something even worse is books. I'm a bit of a book collector and in the US they have something called ''book rate'' or ''media rate'' A book sent to me would cost say $10, to send it back would cost me at least $30.

Incredible.:help:

Something even worse is books. I'm a bit of a book collector and in the US they have something called ''book rate'' or ''media rate'' A book sent to me would cost say $10, to send it back would cost me at least $30.

Yah, but you get free health care, lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep! I know all about that. I have a huge collection of heavy equipment parts books and service manuals that I've been liquidating on FeeBay for a few years now. It makes it tough to sell a book that's going to cost $20 to ship.:mad:

Yah, but you get free health care, lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Good thing too, the way Canadians are taxed on every other level....lol

Shipped many things to Canada, no problems here. Occasionally I get the ones that request I write "GIFT" on the outside of the package.
We ship all over the world and in the many things we ship, I always have a problem with France and Italy, bet I've shipped 15 things to France, 13 of them had some sort of problem, so I no longer ship there.

Shipped many things to Canada, no problems here. Occasionally I get the ones that request I write "GIFT" on the outside of the package.
We ship all over the world and in the many things we ship, I always have a problem with France and Italy, bet I've shipped 15 things to France, 13 of them had some sort of problem, so I no longer ship there.

I've absolutely blocked Italy from my "ship to" list.......I shipped 4 things there and absolutely ZERO made it there. Customs must be brutally crooked there, or something!!!:bang:

My 090 came out of Canada. Shipping was a little much, but didnt take too long. Actually, I thought it went better than some stuff Ive had shipped from the west coast.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the general concensus is that it's all good, sweet so my first true CAD purchase (if I win) will finds it's way home. :cheers:

I have had a few saws sent to Aus from the US and Germany now and i have never had an issue. I ask the sender to write that the saw has been drained of oil and fuel and is clean on the paperwork and customs have never opened a box yet.

Back