Ebay Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabeasawman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a NIB 365x-torq on ebay. Will it likely need any tuning before use?

Other than putting the bar and chain on and filling it up with gas and oil, is there anything to do?

What does a dealer usually do to a saw before he sends it out the door?

I have bought new from both Stihl and Husqvarna dealers. In all cases they have started the saw and did a quick tune and checked the oiling. There was one exception, my 562xp tuned itself.:msp_thumbup:
I have no experience buying a new saw from Ebay and it surely varies from seller to seller.

Last edited:
Bought a NIB 365x-torq on ebay. Will it likely need any tuning before use?

Other than putting the bar and chain on and filling it up with gas and oil, is there anything to do?

What does a dealer usually do to a saw before he sends it out the door?

A good dealer will fill with mix and oil, fire it up, let it warm up a little, adjust mixtures with a tach, verify it is oiling proper, and hand you the saw. Some test in wood, some even let you test in wood.

A good dealer will fill with mix and oil, fire it up, let it warm up a little, adjust mixtures with a tach, verify it is oiling proper, and hand you the saw. Some test in wood, some even let you test in wood.

My 261 and 460 I bought new, unfired, not even with bar and chain installed, at my request. I didn't want them messing with it. They told me"dont worry about the warranty part of things". :jester:

My 261 and 460 I bought new, unfired, not even with bar and chain installed, at my request. I didn't want them messing with it. They told me"dont worry about the warranty part of things". :jester:

That 460 is a beautiful saw too. :)

I did the same with my 365xt. I knew the dealer and service guy and they said "no problem". I used a new gallon of 89 octane mixed fresh that day with quality oil. I let the saw run at idle for a while and varied the throttle some for the first few minutes. I barely cut any wood for the first 1\2 tank of gas then cut up a large cherry. Never really raced the motor, just cut like I would normally using a 20" bar. I have not had to make any carb adjustments yet. I am very pleased with it so far.........congratulations. My dealer said they handle all warranty paper work but I still went on-line to Husqvarna's site and registered it.

So ..............., should the saw be expected to be ready to go carburetor-wise straight from the box?

Most saws I have run straight out the box were 'okay' carburetor-wise, but ran better with some tuning. Variables such as different fuels, elevation, etc all play a role in tuning a saw. So to answer you question, your saw will most likely require some tuning for optimum performance in your operating conditions.

I'm not sure about Husky, but my Stihl dealer here gets the saw, or trimmer, or whatever I'm buying, and hands it to me in the box with anything that comes with it. I take it home and do it all myself.

They know I know what I'm doing, so they just hand it all to me and let me have at it. My idea of breaking a saw in is filling it up and cutting with it like I would if it already had cut for 50 hours. I treat the new stuff no different, and so far I haven't had any issues with it hurting things.

They know I know what I'm doing, so they just hand it all to me and let me have at it. My idea of breaking a saw in is filling it up and cutting with it like I would if it already had cut for 50 hours. I treat the new stuff no different, and so far I haven't had any issues with it hurting things.

Does knowing what you are doing include carburetor adjustment?

Please, let's not start a discussion on new saw break-in, I have read all of that in the FAQ, and don't want to get yelled at for repetition.:laugh:

If you arnt comfortable to tune the carb in a saw you will have to learn. Not usually the low speed but the high will need tweaking quite regulary, changes in atmospheric pressures, temp ect.
Just because a dealer tunes it wont make the tune stay for next five years, especially with different conditions. Some cases they need tweaking throughout the same day

What does me being a moderator have anything to do with my answer? I don't get to have an opinion because of it? News to me...

Anyways... just cuz you live in Cali don't mean there aren't decent dealers down there.

Gary

I stll rekcon if your getting a saw on ebay, wether or not the tune is ok out of the box should be the least of your concern....

Just wondering where you got a 365 X torq from, everything I find is the the same old 365 that is actual 65cc saw, I called my closest dealer and he called his dealer rep and said the 70cc version is no longer. Even the ones on Baileys are the 65cc version. I even got a model number for the 70cc and gave it to my dealer and he said it no longer exists! I would love to buy one but cannot find one of the old new stock. I hope yours is the bigger one and not just a scammer selling a 65 as a Xtra torque .

Latest posts

Back