Ebay screwup!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The carb does not respond well to adjustments.
At one point, with the air cleaner off, it was stumbling, trying to rev and spraying out fuel mist OUT of the carb. Next second it takes off like a jet!
I'm thinkin this may have to go to the dealer as it's probably beyond my very limited experence.

Probably end up close to what I coulda bought a new 260 pro for!

Reminds me why I just bit the bullet and bought most of my other saws new.

If you need a good carb to try, you can borrow one of mine off a known good runner.

At one point, with the air cleaner off, it was stumbling, trying to rev and spraying out fuel mist OUT of the carb. Next second it takes off like a jet!
I'm thinkin this may have to go to the dealer as it's probably beyond my very limited experence.

Probably end up close to what I coulda bought a new 260 pro for!

Reminds me why I just bit the bullet and bought most of my other saws new.

Interesting Dan, sort of backfiring would you say? Lead's me to think ignition still, but as Andy mentioned they are usually good or not. The fact that it was flooding quite badly leads me to agree with Brad to get a carb kit. They are cheap and easy too install. Look carefully at the metering tab/arm level. That being set too high or having dirt, or an obstruction causing it stick or not too close fully could cause your flooding condition.

As 2000 mentioned/offered a swap off a known runner would eliminate or not, the coil/ignition.

Last edited:
Dan, I've found that taking a carb apart, to include removal of the needle valve, etc, and soaking it over night in 'carb cleaner' fluid or kerosene, solves a lot of carb problems. Just blow it out good the next morning with an air hose to remove all dirt and sludge. Re-assemble and its amazing how many carbs will perform well. In this process you can also inspect the diaphragm and the tip of the needle valve; if a parts replacement is needed, its usually one of these two that needs it.

028 I'm messing with was doing the exact same thing. Intake boot was split on the bottom underneath the clamp.

He ll, put it in a box and send it to me, I will find out what it needs, no charge.

P.M. Me if you are interested.

I deal with a lot of 026's also and can echo what Andy has said. I highly doubt it is a seal or a coil problem. Once you get it figured out you'll have yourself a nice looking 026 pro. Take Fish up on his generous offer.

I follow 026's on ebay and there are a few reputable sellers that focus on 026's (paulpk6 and pudgetsoundwaters). If anyone else was looking for an 026 I would feel comfortable buying from either of these individuals.

Last edited:
Don't do that yet. Get that carb off there and take it apart. There's VERY little to it. If it needs a kit, they're only like $10-$15. Coils are cheap too for that saw. I'd rather throw parts at something and fix it myself. It usually ends up cheaper in the long run.

I love this post!!!
"Hey , hold my beer and watch this!!"

"I have no idea what I am doing, but if I spend enough I can figure it out!"

Sorry Brad, been there, done that, and lost a really good saw because I was too stuborn to take it to the dealer, and spend maybe $50 to get it fixed right.

That is an awsome offer by Fish, I would be hard pressed to turn that down Dan!

I love this post!!!
"Hey , hold my beer and watch this!!"

"I have no idea what I am doing, but if I spend enough I can figure it out!"

Sorry Brad, been there, done that, and lost a really good saw because I was too stuborn to take it to the dealer, and spend maybe $50 to get it fixed right.

I need a tongue sticking out smiley:laugh: Unfortunately, unless you have a good shop, a well educated consumer is likely to know more than the person behind the counter. I've seen it happen too many times over the years. I'm not just talking about saws. Let's take electronic components on cars for example. I'll take an educated guess and replace a sensor or two before I'll take it in to the dealer. I've saved myself a lot of money over the years.

I have two friends that are certified Master techs and both have the new Snap-on Modus. I went to school and don't live three miles from a guy that won the Ford national diagnostics championship (I'll PM his name if you like) and my neighbor is the parts manager at the Toyota dealership that I bought both of our last two cars from, he TELLS the service manager who is going to work on my wifes van!
My good dealer sells and services Stihl, Husky and Echo. They guy behind the counter knows his stuff, and the tech reminds me of Lakeside, but with a gruff attitude. He and I get along pretty well:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry, I have tried to take "Chance" out of the major things anymore!

You're a lucky man with that kind of service personell around. Of course I feel even luckier when I don't have to pay the dealer for service at all. Every now and then they'll get my money for parts and diagnosis. I'll still usually take it home and fix it myself.

Last edited:
I can understand both of your points of view. I personally try to do most all of my vehicle servicework also, but there are times I pay others to do it. I'm fortunate enough to have my own local "cooter's garage" with a mechanic that really knows his stuff and is super reasonable. Last summer the clutch went out in one of my SHO's and he quoted me $250 for labor. He also lets me bring my own parts in. I'm pretty confident I would have no problem doing it myself, but it probably would have taken up a good portion of a weekend to accomplish it. Instead of doing it myself I fixed up a project saw I had laying around and dumped it on ebay. I was able to use the profit of the saw sale to pay for the clutch labor plus its something I'd rather do anyhow. To me this was a great alternative to doing it myself for this particular instance.

Last edited:
I fix all mine too.I've never hurt any saws by fixing them myself,just saved alot of money.I do have a degree in small engine repair though.I have also fixed alot of saws that other people messed up though.:dizzy: I wouldn't trust anyone with my saw or vehicle.Never have never will.:)

Don't misunderstand me, I do all I can myself as well, but with cars this day and age, throwing parts is not a viable option!! I am fortunate I can call one of my buddies, they hook up the Modus right here in the driveway, and we can narrow it down! Big problems with my truck? That is when the other guy comes in!! He can bring home the fancy whazoo Ford scanner/computer thingy (don't ask me, it's AWESOME!!!) and tell me the last time I farted in it!!! $30 bucks here, a case of beer there, take a tree out over there, you get the idea. They only go to the dealer when it's bad!
The saws I am not afraid to work on, and do, but the regret I have was not taking the 262 in to have them look at it before getting frustrated and just selling it!! As much as I had bought from them, they probably would have looked it over and pointed me in the right direction happily.

I guess I have learned to utilize my resources efficiently.

Well I just thought I would offer, as I have worked on that model a lot, 10-12$ each way by UPS, surely would be cheaper than taking it to a dealer.
I am still not quite busy here yet, and would diagnose the problem the
day I got it, I even have a new 026 carb to pop on just to be sure, If a
leakdown test showed nothing. But I expect it to be a fuel line collapse,
or more likely a rotted impulse, maybe a torn boot, which is possible if the
av mounts are out.

Anyway, the offer still stands.

Last edited:
Don't misunderstand me, I do all I can myself as well, but with cars this day and age, throwing parts is not a viable option!! I am fortunate I can call one of my buddies, they hook up the Modus right here in the driveway, and we can narrow it down! Big problems with my truck? That is when the other guy comes in!! He can bring home the fancy whazoo Ford scanner/computer thingy (don't ask me, it's AWESOME!!!) and tell me the last time I farted in it!!! $30 bucks here, a case of beer there, take a tree out over there, you get the idea. They only go to the dealer when it's bad!
The saws I am not afraid to work on, and do, but the regret I have was not taking the 262 in to have them look at it before getting frustrated and just selling it!! As much as I had bought from them, they probably would have looked it over and pointed me in the right direction happily.

I guess I have learned to utilize my resources efficiently.

Good post. To add to that, most of our 06 and up Nissan's require a laptop based system to diagnose. You will not work on those in your garage or backyard, unless you know me, LOL.

All vehicles will be going this route, we have to be trained and certified to even get a hybrid car in this dealership, to sell. Too many guys getting killed from the high voltage.:eek:

I fix all mine too.I've never hurt any saws by fixing them myself,just saved alot of money.l.:)

+1 Me too. Have you seen some of the shop rates these days? It's like deciding whether to go too the Doctor's or have your "whatever" worked on! Well I suppose you could look at it like a Doctor is really a high priced Mechanic, but..............Really it's whatever Dapper Dan feels comfortable doing or not.

Last edited:
Well I just thought I would offer, as I have worked on that model a lot, 10-12$ each way by UPS, surely would be cheaper than taking it to a dealer.
I am still not quite busy here yet, and would diagnose the problem the
day I got it, I even have a new 026 carb to pop on just to be sure, If a
leakdown test showed nothing. But I expect it to be a fuel line collapse,
or more likely a rotted impulse, maybe a torn boot, which is possible if the
av mounts are out.

Anyway, the offer still stands.

Fish...I'm gonna take you up on your kind offer....sent ya a PM.
Bought a carb kit but....got cold feet! I'll send it along.
No point in sending bar and chain, is there?

Like to thank bcorradi for sending me the PRO decal (free) for this saw, too.

Just went back and tried to fire it up again...same thing.
Fired off on full choke, after about 5 pulls ran 2 seconds and died.
kicked it off choke and pulled and pulled and (well you get it)
Would not restart.
Didn't bother to look at the plug, again

I knew I found a good place when I found AS! :)

Fish...I'm gonna take you up on your kind offer....sent ya a PM.
Bought a carb kit but....got cold feet! I'll send it along.
No point in sending bar and chain, is there?

Like to thank bcorradi for sending me the PRO decal (free) for this saw, too.

Just went back and tried to fire it up again...same thing.
Fired off on full choke, after about 5 pulls ran 2 seconds and died.
kicked it off choke and pulled and pulled and (well you get it)
Would not restart.
Didn't bother to look at the plug, again

I knew I found a good place when I found AS! :)

Sounds like you got a good deal going with Fish. If I hear you call 026's mickey mouse again I'm going to have to ask for the sticker back ;).

Sounds like you got a good deal going with Fish. If I hear you call 026's mickey mouse again I'm going to have to ask for the sticker back ;).

Didn't mean the whole saw....just the way the filter cover attaches! ;)
If ya want the sticker back...I'll have to send the MM cover and all....I don't think I can get it off in one piece!

Hmm, looks like Flea-Bay is only really good for "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" junk. I don't even look for stuff there anymore. Keeps the blood pressure down :)

Back