Ebay steal - Thumbs up to my buddy!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarylB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I've been noodling around for a while, looking for a good deal, and I get a yahoo message that this saw was up, buy it now for a reasonble price. So I look it over, and take the plunge. The saw ends up being local, in Arkansas, which is uber rare. What's even funnier is I was trying to figure out who owned it and I called a Belinda Lawson (seller's name) that came up on the pre-invoice. So I give them a call, a guy answers. It was obviously the wrong number because the guy said "She better not have sold my Saw, I paid over $600 for that thing!" I was like, Ok Thank you.

Ended up having the wrong person, but got a good laugh out of the deal anyway. Got in touch with the real owner an hour or so later, got to talking and went and picked the saw up right there. Ran great, looked great. It's going to clean up even better once I can hit the car-wash and get a little pressure. Here's a few pics.

DSCF0816.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0817.jpg

Last edited:
Even for an 038, this thing cranks like a new saw.

It looks like a new saw...even before you cleaned it. You should have been out sawing instead of pressure washing!

It looks like a new saw...even before you cleaned it. You should have been out sawing instead of pressure washing!

That's because it may be newer than you think.........................

...............take a look at the recoil cover.:)

Took it out today, cuts like a charm. Used a big block of dry white oak. All it needs now is an 8T rim & a roller tip bar.

Daryl...that saw looks as clean if not cleaner than the ebay ad. Looks like you got a steal on it. Keep me updated on how you end up liking it.

Daryl...that saw looks as clean if not cleaner than the ebay ad. Looks like you got a steal on it. Keep me updated on how you end up liking it.

I ran it threw a pretty good piece of white oak, about 24" with a fairly sharp chain. It did quite well - I couldn't bog it even leaning on it, probably due to that 7 tooth rim. I pulled the flywheel cover off and it's got very, very little sawdust, just a little cake in there, but not much. Going to get a couple of 8 tooths next week for the Mag & 440. A roller tip bar should help it out too. I believe it's still got the original air-filter in it. It's black plastic with the felt covering. I haven't pulled the plug yet or muffler cover, but doesn't look like there's any real need to :)

Great looking saw!

If you ever feel neighborly (Mississippi) and want to rid the saw, give me a shout.

:c:greenchainsaw:

You dirty dog!

That was the first saw I idolized as a kid. The boss use to use a Stihl 038 and none of the crew was suppose to touch it. It was "his" bucket saw.

One day I was cutting up brush from a tree he just took down and I said "Heck with it" and grabbed the saw, fired it up and started cutting. The dang thing went through the limbs like it was a light sabre going through warm butter! Wow! He had that thing SUPER sharp and it ripped through the brush like it wasn't even there.

I've since passed on my 038's looking for the "deal" on eBay for a while now. Looks like I dropped the ball on that one!

Nice buy and great looking saw!

StihlRockin'

I swapped the 8T from my super and added an old roller bar. Cuts even faster now, but it was through some small 6-8" stuff. I need to get some more big wood to buck up - I think the wife's grandpa has an oak down now that needs cut up, may go over there and block it up for him.

Back