Ebay why some get good bids and some sellers get didlisquat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have as good a luck on ebay as anywhere. Start looking at ms390 chainsaws. Brand new 469.99 with a 20" bar. Many USED ones on ebay going for 480+ shipping.

Offer an IPL on there as well as the parts....

There should be a separate forum on here for "Antique chain saw repair and resto".

It's pretty easy to figure out how to sell on Ebay... find the sellers who are successful, and see what they are doing.

Like this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/randysenginerepair/

Notice how he sticks an IPL as the picture for his ad and he has tons of links for the different models this part fits.

I should point out that the auction listed has a shipping cost of over $20! $20, for a bunch of small parts that weigh - according to his description - 4 lbs??? No wonder he's not getting bids (well, in addition to the crappy photo, non-segregated parts, sparse description, substandard grammar and punctuation...)

Here's a news flash, Skeezix: the USPS has this nifty "flat rate box." The boxes are free, and 4lbs to anywhere in the U.S. should run $4.80. Most people won't begrudge an extra dollar for packing material and labor, but $20 is outlandish. When I see that kind of robbery on an auction listing, I pass it by. Every time. Most others do too.

(In a previous life I was a consultant to specialty retailers, and one of my niches was teaching small business owners how to compete against WalMart. It's actually pretty easy to do; in fact, a smart business owner will actually see their sales rise when Wally World moves to town. Unfortunately, not many small business owners are terribly bright. A surprising number of them, after paying me good money to learn what they should do, simply sat back on their butts, complained about WalMart, and went bankrupt. Many eBay sellers do the same thing. If you want to make money on eBay, you gotta work at it.

Oh, my qualifications? I once ran a company that had a large and quite profitable eBay presence. We did very, very well because we took it seriously.)

Last edited:
I should point out that the auction listed has a shipping cost of over $20! $20, for a bunch of small parts that weigh - according to his description - 4 lbs??? No wonder he's not getting bids (well, in addition to the crappy photo, non-segregated parts, sparse description, substandard grammar and punctuation...)

Here's a news flash, Skeezix: the USPS has this nifty "flat rate box." The boxes are free, and 4lbs to anywhere in the U.S. should run $4.80. Most people won't begrudge an extra dollar for packing material and labor, but $20 is outlandish. When I see that kind of robbery on an auction listing, I pass it by. Every time. Most others do too.

Excellent point. I haven't looked at Calvin's eBay stuff, but if the shipping is like that, don't expect any bids. Padding profits with shipping is a load of BS in my book. If you profit margin on a piece is $.75 at your shop, don't expect it to be $15.75 when sold online. And if that means that the effort-$$$ ratio that comes with selling small stuff online just doesn't do it for you, well, then online ain't the way to go.

At the end of the day, parts that are in demand will sell. Those that are kinda-sorta in demand will sell if priced right. And other parts, well, they will languish in the back room of your shop until such a time as a particular customer is seeking out that particular oddball part.

i buy lots of parts on e-bag, chainsaw boat motor and truck, i like them coming to my house and i can almost always get them cheaper but i don't go by a part number always, i want to see the part, with more than 1 picture and i will NOT buy any part that the shipping is just stupid!! and there are a lot of auctions that it is

Actually the small flat rate box is $4.95, but the regular flat rate box is $10.35. You cannot get too many parts in the small one.

Actually the small flat rate box is $4.95, but the regular flat rate box is $10.35. You cannot get too many parts in the small one.

It's only $4.95 if you're crazy enough to stand in line at the Post Office to buy the postage - if you do it online it's $4.80. An eBayer who's not doing it online is a) wasting money and b) wasting lots of time.

If the parts won't fit in the small box, the large is still only $9.85 - less than half of what he's charging. Also, sometimes stuff that won't fit into a small box will go into a Flat Rate envelope, which is (again) $4.80 (or $4.95 if you've never heard of usps.com)

No matter how you slice it, his shipping is outrageous.

Calvin, that's one of the worst Ebay auctions I've seen. You won't get any decent money from anyone looking for one item when they have to buy a load of other crap aong with it, probably no use to them, even if they manage to work out what it's for from the p/n.
Start an Ebay store, list everything seperately. List what it is, what saw(s) it fits, it's condition, etc, and take a good picture of each part.
I wouldn't buy a box of NOS Stihl stuff like that - most of it would be of no use to me because it would just leave me with a load of unwanted spares. It's like trying to sell a Jimi Hendrix fan a box of "Assorted rock records", which happens to include the record they want. Not going to happen, when they can find the record on it's own elsewhere, without paying $20 shipping.
Look at Curt's store - not a huge effort needed to do the same for your own stuff, and you might actualy sell something...

No need to lecture me on e-bay and shipping..

I quoted the post office price, but I print my postage
in my underwear watching the Sopranos, thank you very much...............

He is fairly new to e-bay, shipping, etc..

But like I said, the point being, is that the parts would not
likely fit in the small one, not trying to fight about it.

Oh my qualifications? None .....

People love freebies. Promise to throw in at no cost an antique dried tree leaf or a very well preserved old blade of grass that is still green. Your sales should go spiraling upwards.

Sorry, but i'm with several others on here...Calvin needs to quit whinin and gripin and just get it done.
If your service on Ebay is anything like what I got from ya on this site then I can understand why your not getting any sales. I left to messages for you about some dawgs w/ no response after your original reply. I've since found and purchased one set...and sold the other saw. I was a sale that you missed out on! Rant complete.

Latest posts

Back