Echo 340

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemclimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a looong time lurker, have learned a great deal from everyone here, and haven't had a question I couldn't find the answer to until now. My backup top handled saw is an Echo 340. The problem is it seems to have no power. I mean very little power. It dogs even in 6" soft wood. Pulsing the throttle seems to help a little but not much. My first thought was that the air filter was clogged so I deep cleaned it (dipped in gas and blew it out, I brush it off on every fill up as well) that didn't help, then I made a quick cut without the air filter just to check if it was the problem and that didn't seem to be the problem though. I made a quick attempt at adjusting the carb but did not take the limiter caps off. That didn't seem to help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hopefully Erik will chime in as he seems to be very fond of this saw.

Thanks,
Jason

The screen looked fine but I took it off and cleaned it anyway. I also ran it without for a few cuts and the same thing. I guess a more acurate description would be to say that it dies in the cut. Anymore suggestions????

It the airfilter is clean and the spark arrestor is clean then I would say that you have a carburetor adjustment problem or a fuel problem. Replace the fuel filter and if that doesn't cure it then look for fuel line cracks, and adjust the carb.:)

has the saw been setting for a long time with mix in it?.....if so then you might want to rebuild the carb and clean it really good with some spray carb cleaner...rebbuild kits are cheap and easy to do....to check your fuel filter too

Thanks! I will replace the fuel filter to start, and then take a look at the carb. I never have gas sit in it too long so I hope the carb isn't gummed up. This saw is only a year old. On a side note when turning the high carb adjuster it makes no difference in rpm's at full throttle. It does seem like it's not getting gas. After I replace the fuel filter I'll let you know. My dealer often takes over a week to get me parts. Thanks again for the help.

I'm just guessing, since I dont have the saw infront of me to examine.

sounds like the high end is too lean.

either the carb is out of adjustment,and/or a cracked fuel line or clogged fuel filter.

You can cheat a little-pull the fuel filter and run it a few minutes without a filter.-Only do that if you are confident that you have a clean fuel tank with clean fuel. I've found a number of "maladjusted carbs" that were really clogged fuel filters- the saw gets enough to run but starves under load.Replace the filter and all is well.

Tried running it without the fuel filter on and same thing. The saw will die if left at full throttle for more than a few seconds. There's not much room for carb adjustment without removing the caps.

Remove and chuck those stupid caps.

Does it run any different upside-down?

;)

Oh, and it's not that I'm fond of the saw...

I just haven't been able to kill the 'lil bugger yet! :laugh:

I have not seen the companies complain about the limiter caps.
Infact I've been told several times, that they think it is a good idea. ??????
I understand, If someone wants to adjust the carb. then the carb will be adjusted. No matter what.
I have a freind who comes now and then, he always have a saw with him. He has good "ear for engins" and knows a little about saws. His saw (357xpg) got really hot at work, and the questions olympics started. I learned that he was falling for the havester at the time. We agreed at the end and made 3, 8mm holes in the muffler, reset the carb and off he went.
Havent seen him for some time now, so I called him. It has been a lot better, but not perfect.

I don't feel uncomfortable about removing the caps, it's just that I didn't think that was the problem. It seems as though it's starving for fuel or air the way that it dies when at full throttle. I would like to become more knowledgeable about playing with the carb and if I take it to my dealer the only thing I learn is that it costs money to fix equipment. I guess I already knew that though so no lesson learned. I'm one of the people who like to do everything I can myself unless it involves knowledge or equipment I don't have. The knowledge part is something I think I can gain. You know I'm a cheap SOB.

I took the carb out unscrewed the diaphragm screws that looked ok and then I took the screws off the bottom and there is a little screen under that gasket that had some junk in it. I cleaned it out put it all back together and now the primer bulb on top won't pull up any gas. I can't see any kinks in any of the lines but there must be something stopping the flow right???

I should mention that about 3 months ago I was using this saw to remove a tree for a friend (no charge of course I think his wallet has more moth balls in it than mine) and when I sent the saw down to be refueled he mixed up the gas and oil and I was wondering why it wouldn't start for me. I proceded to drain out and rinse both tanks a couple of times and it started right up.

You may be on to something.  If the fuel pumping circuit had a weak check "valve", it might not be able to pump enough fuel for full-power operation yet work well enough at idle.  It's possible it's failed entirely now, hence the inability to prime the system.

Either that or you re-assembled it incorrectly.

Glen

Oh Bull$hit Rocky,

If you want to learn how to adjust your saw ask someone who knows. Have your shop show you how, even if you have to pay to learn, it will be worth it. joe

Rocky he has to learn somewhere, Keep on banging the newbie. Hell I didn't know how to file until I was shown. People come here for advice not a verbal beatdown.

this is just a guess because i have never worked on such a saw but you said lines, and your primer ball now doesnot work , my guess would be you have the 2 lines on backwards, the line for the primer ball going to your carb and your carb line going to your primer ball, like i said a guess cause i donot know if it has 2 lines but i have seen a lot of weed eaters that will not run after people fix them and it is the lines on backwards

The lines aren't on backwards and it is put together properly. I'm very mechanically inclined and can fix almost anything after looking at it for a while. I didn't want to take the carb completely apart because I see a small spring below the diaphragm and don't know how much of a pain in the a$$ it will be to get back together. I took the diaphragm off again tapped gentle and must have loosened something because it started to pull gas with the purge ball for about 3 pumps and then it seemed to be "locked" again.
I have adjusted the carbs on a few of my saws and I know how to do it.

Latest posts

Back