Echo 355T Repair Quirk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I worked on an Echo 355T saw last year for a friend and it ran fine. He brought it in yesterday and asked me to repair the pull cord. It seemed OK to pull without removing the outer panel cover for inspection, but I decided to remove the cover and inspect it. Here's what I ran into: the threads on all four screws that hold the panel to the case are completely stripped. Any attempt to remove them with a wrench is impossible, yet the cover is holding tight to the case, and I can't even pry it off or knock any of the screws loose. The screws spin CW and CCW but will not allow removal and I cannot pry them up with any tool that I have.

I have never run into this before, and as it stands, I cannot service this saw in my shop. Any future repairs to the pull cord, flywheel, ignition module, etc. are virtually impossible for me to do. Looks like it might have been done using a torque wrench set way too high and that's my immediate conclusion. There is plenty of evidence that some other mechanic worked on this saw since I last did. I do not even own a torque wrench and never use a power wrench of any kind. Do you also think that is likely what happened? Any suggestions on how I can proceed to remove this cover? TIA.

How about using a screw extractor? If the holes are reamed out try slightly larger screws to reassemble.

Seems like the holes are not really reamed out. There is some tension when turning both directions and I cannot pry the screws out either. That's what makes this event so strange. I don't see how a damaged screw extractor would work here.

I bet they have brass inserts into the plastic like Stihl and others use. Somebody cranked on the bolts or cross threaded and stripped the plastic around the inserts so they just spin. But yes, most times will not come out of the plastic.

Try to drill or cut the heads off if ya can. Went through this ordeal with them 2 TS420 demos saws I had across my bench.

Bought new inserts from the bay and used some JB Weld plastic bonder around the new inserts when put back into the plastic case.....

1691368233784.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3342171908...yJnGwnMn7UFT1mRfIzeRDanC9w|tkp:Bk9SR97miNa5Yg

Yup. Had two of these last year, same issue. I wound up stripping the cases of all usable parts and trashing them. Extremely poor design with those inserts…sad. The inserts stripped…in the plastic. the screws didn’t strip.
I did manage to salvage the recoil units, however but can’t remember exactly how 🤪

all I could do was tell the tree service owner to tell his guys not to over torque those screws next time.

oh, don’t forget to pull the little oil tank vents…🙄

Rear inserts. Looks like they are very slightly recessed.
Edwin pictures of this panel to case area sure would help .
Scott
There is really nothing to show. The screws look good and simply spin either direction like a top. They don't move up or down in either case. This saw will be joining my boneyard as soon as the coil and/or pull cord gives up. It has hundreds of hours on it. I hate to show the owner what happened, but it really is no longer worth fooling with. Thanks guys,

Husqvarna 235, 240 used the idea for the top cylinder cover- covers would not stay on as insert spun and actually came out of block, but no oversized insert to put in that I could find. Jb weld would work as a bandaid to hold insert in.
I wonder if Stihls method of just using screw into plastic housing like on a ms194-200 starter being cheaper idea actually better- at least you can oversize screw once or twice?

Wood Doctor...... as a last ditch effort, try to get a pic or small small small screwdriver under the head of offending bolts. Get a 40 watt soldering iron and put tip on bolt heads, heating them up, and pry up. Idea is to pop the insert out of the case.... hopefully....

This will leave a gaping hole, but you might be able to try new inserts, smoother them in that JB Weld plastic bonder then jamb them in the holes and pray they hold. Let dry for 2-3 days.

Some money and time be involved, but it just may work iffin ya get the old ones out!

https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe

Back