ECHO 58 Volt Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
346cee1f43ed06633d0300c9f99dd299.jpg

56V 2,0Ah = 2.8 lbs
56V 4,0Ah = 4.9 lbs
56V 6,0Ah = 6.3 lbs

Turns out I was a bit off. It's less than one kilogram or two pounds between those two and four Amps 56V batteries.

Do they really want to sell these in stores? I tried to check out the Makita one that uses two batteries and the guy basically said to order it on line at homedepo.com or something of that nature. He even said at first it came with battery and charger. Has some sort of cell phone like device to scroll through while you stand there. If you want to see the batteries and charger it is going to be a while and who knows if they even have them.

The husky dealer isn't a whole lot better, they do have both the top handle and rear handle version but have no interest in saying how much the 1/4 inch sprocket will cost. No break on the price but has one out for six months now on free trial. Kind of a hard sell in my estimation.

Do they really want to sell these in stores?

Good point!

Home Depot sells their Ryobi and ECHO brands, along with the Ego brand in their stores. They do not stock all of the items in all stores - marketed to certain demographic groups? You can check some availability on line. In the city where I live, only a few HD stores actually have the ECHO 58V chainsaw in stock on the shelves, but several have the string trimmer and leaf blower. You can order stuff shipped to a store, and have a return option, but that is not the same as handling one in person, let alone trying it out in wood!

The Makita cordless chainsaw is rented at several of the HD stores that have rental departments (not all have rentals). You can order the Makita gas, corded electric, and battery saws through their 'PRO desks', or sometimes buy them used from the rental department. I have also seen the Makita saw at tool demos held by large contractor supply type stores.

Seen some of the STIHL cordless stuff at a few full line dealers, but ironically, not the full cordless line. Have not seen the Husky cordless stuff in person anywhere - might be the price? Lowes and Sears have their own brands, but not always visible with other chainsaws. Oregon 40v PowerNow brand I have seen at some saw/OPE shops, and upper end hardware stores - they are also available from several Internet sources, including Bailey's, Weedeaterman, etc.

I agree. You should not have to go to an industry trade expo to see this stuff. Sharing experiences here on line helps!

Philbert

I got a sprocket on spare but probably because of the slower chain speed 20 meters per second for the battery powered Husqy compared to the more powerful and 26 meters chainspeed per second of for instance a ms 200 the sprocket doesn't wear that much.

Those Husqy's sell themselves. When someone has one it only takes a very short while before the colleagues have one too. That machine has earned it's place here and the fanbase is growing by the day. If only Husqvarna could provide us with a bigger saw. That's the reason why we're so eager for the Echo an E-go to work well.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want any less capacity....I'm fine with the weight.

Here's a few things I can say in the 20 minutes I've run the saw. It has plenty of power, definitely more than my
Stihls.
I did have a problem though. Two times while I was cutting I released the trigger....when I pulled the trigger again there was no power at all. I had to unclick the battery and click it back in then it worked again. I never lost power while running it though...only when I let off and tried to restart.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want any less capacity....I'm fine with the weight.

Here's a few things I can say in the 20 minutes I've run the saw. It has plenty of power, definitely more than my
Stihls.
I did have a problem though. Two times while I was cutting I released the trigger....when I pulled the trigger again there was no power at all. I had to unclick the battery and click it back in then it worked again. I never lost power while running it though...only when I let off and tried to restart.

Thermal overload protection maybe? Taking the battery out and reinserting might reset it. I am just guessing. I know my Oregon is slow and steady as she goes, let it cool off now and then, push it too hard you ain't cutting nuthin. It is really picky about protecting itself and the battery from too much heat.

No it's not thermalling because it happened several times right at the start of cutting when I wasn't even dug into the wood....no load on the motor whatsoever. I ran the saw a third time about an hour ago and I couldn't keep it running. It would only run about 20 seconds at a time before power cut out

So as I'm typing this I'm sitting in the HOMECHEAPO parking lot. I returned it ....or rather I exchanged it. I'm pretty sure I got a lemon with electrical issues....so I got another one and I'll give it a try tomorrow. I am really hoping it was just a problem with that specific saw, because the saw really rips!!

Yup...im gonna run the crap out of it:). If it don't hold up its going back.

A2048F4F-63C9-4DBA-AF1D-A2E61119808F.jpg

Here's the Echo compared to Stihl. ....the Stihl has seen close to a years worth of work, I would estimate well over 100 charges on the packs. Not one single problem so far.

Here's what I did today with one single battery charge with the Echo....I got this 3 foot bear 3/4 of the way carved on one charge. I didn't time it but it was approximately 20 to 25 minutes of continuous/nonstop running. This bear will cover the cost of the new saw once its all finished/varnished :)
747C2AFB-C4A6-4653-8A8C-C3ED6C0261B1.jpg

The Stihls have been awesome detail/finishing saws. They also work well for carving full small carvings...1 foot to 1 1/2 tall type stuff. .....but I couldn't efficiently carve a 3foot type carving from the start with it(like the rough cut one pictured)

The Echo has much more chain speed and overall power, so this is definitely a possibility now . If I can hopefully get one that runs correctly...I've got my fingers crossed that the instant problems with the new saw today was just a fluke.

For the short time the echo ran properly today it had plenty of chain speed. It didn't even bog down when making full cuts that were almost as wide as the 16" bar. I was extremely surprised....very similar to a mid size gas saw.

Yeah! Thats one of the great things about battery saws. If I'm doing a full day of carving or taking down trees i easily have to start saws 10 or 20 extra times just for quick little odds and ends. It's so nice just to be able to pull a trigger and spare my sore shoulder.

Yikes! More than my Dolmar 7900.

The deal is, it's only been a few years now since the decent battery saws came out. Ya, some earlier ones, I mean the "hit practical use stage". Now in those few short years, they are like *twice* as good! For the same loot or even cheaper! Much stronger electric motors and much longer lasting and more powerful batteries.

Think about ten years from now.

Yep, gas saws still rule on weight and power, but the batt jobs aren't sneaking up, they are sprinting now! Show me any stock (not ported, stock from the factory) saw that in a few years time, same displacement, is twice as good for the same/similar or even less money.

Once graphene and carbon nanotubes are being used in the batts, lookout!

Back