ECHO 58 Volt Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should pick one up....there's really no risk. Just time and a little gas money for the trip to return it if you don't like it. I would like to see if someone else is having the same problems.

The problem is electronic I'm pretty sure. No real rhyme or reason when it happens. Just cuts out, but almost never under heavy load use. There is no active chain break(chain coasts to a stop over 3 or 4 seconds)...many times the brown outs happen when I get back on the throttle before the chain comes to a complete stop,

You should pick one up....there's really no risk. Just time and a little gas money for the trip to return it if you don't like it. I would like to see if someone else is having the same problems.

You and I think alike. I may very well pick one up, as I found an HD not too far from my woork that has both the Ego and Echo, so if I have the same issue as you, I'll just exchange it for the Ego.

The problem is electronic I'm pretty sure. No real rhyme or reason when it happens. Just cuts out, but almost never under heavy load use. There is no active chain break(chain coasts to a stop over 3 or 4 seconds)...many times the brown outs happen when I get back on the throttle before the chain comes to a complete stop,

That does sound like glitch, not just bad contacts.

How do you think the Echo would compare to this saw? I know you really can't say for sure having only the the video to go by. It honestly doesn't look all that great, and wonder if it really puts out 80V.

I bought the 80v snowblower and leaf blower in November. I have to say I'm really impressed with the power of both and battery life. The snowblower would handle even wet heavy snow and last about a half hour. The second battery would be just about charged even using it nonstop. The leaf blower flat out rips. I haven't used it long enough to kill the battery in one sitting though. I keep it in my truck and the battery last a couple weeks using it here and there.
It gets heavy though after a few min.

I've been contemplating getting the saw but the videos of it are less than impressive and I can't get it locally yet that I know of to try it.

Lowes also has an 80v chainsaw (Kobalt)....coming soon? Their 40v looks like junk though.

d9714fa087cff650a9ab9d70e77a9b44.jpg

One guy on consumerreports says he had two echo batt blowers in a row with a bad switch. So, starting to see a pattern maybe where the problem might be.

Maybe the same saw wearing different clothing???
That's where I got my snowblower.
I looked at the kobalt blower and it looks identical other than color and logos. The string trimmer looks a little different but the batteries look the same.the batteries are even green like mine.

. . . it looks identical . . . the batteries look the same.the batteries are even green like mine.

Do you think that the batteries would actually fit / interchange? One concern I have with 'house brand', battery powered tools (Sears, Lowe's, etc.) is that they make their battery packs unique, so that you have to buy replacements from them, at any price they decide. With cordless drills, etc., many older battery packs have been discontinued, although, some are available from aftermarket vendors, or rebuilt by places like Batteries Plus (no endorsement intended).

Support for a brand that is more widely distributed (many stores, internationally, etc.) is more likely down the road IMHO. This is important to me, as I tend to keep things a long time.

So, starting to see a pattern maybe where the problem might be.

Hope they work it out. It looks like an attractive line if they hold up well in use.

Philbert

Do you think that the batteries would actually fit / interchange? One concern I have with 'house brand', battery powered tools (Sears, Lowe's, etc.) is that they make their battery packs unique, so that you have to buy replacements from them, at any price they decide. With cordless drills, etc., many older battery packs have been discontinued, although, some are available from aftermarket vendors, or rebuilt by places like Batteries Plus (no endorsement intended).

Support for a brand that is more widely distributed (many stores, internationally, etc.) is more likely down the road IMHO. This is important to me, as I tend to keep things a long time.

Hope they work it out. It looks like an attractive line if they hold up well in use.

Philbert
They sure "looked" identical. Even had the same push button battery life indicator.
But all it takes is one minor case build difference and it won't fit... So I'm not sure.
I'll take a look at mine at home compared to online pics. Doesn't appear to be anything in stock yet at lowes to go look at.

They sure "looked" identical.
Of course, Lowe's (Sears, Home Depot, etc.) doesn't build anything. They either re-label items, or have things made to their specs. One possible scenario is that some light Dremel tool work on the plastic case of one battery will allow it to fit into the mounting slot of the other, giving the user a choice.

I have carried stuff into these stores to compare compatibility. I stop at the 'Returns' counter, show them what I have, and ask if it is OK to bring it in to 'see if it fits'. They are usually OK with that, especially, if they do not sell that particular item. Some stores (e.g. Menard's) place a sticker on the item I carry in to show the security guard on the way out if there is a question.

I carried my Oregon 40 V chainsaw into Northern Tool to see if it fit in one of their generic PowerBoxes when I first got it (almost 4 years ago!). Spent 1/2 hour with the Department Manager who had never seen one. Have carried my batteries into surplus stores and home centers, still searching for the ideal carry pouches (garage sale camera case is so far still the closest!).

Interested to hear what you find.

Of course, Lowe's (Sears, Home Depot, etc.) doesn't build anything. They either re-label items, or have things made to their specs. One possible scenario is that some light Dremel tool work on the plastic case of one battery will allow it to fit into the mounting slot of the other, giving the user a choice.

I have carried stuff into these stores to compare compatibility. I stop at the 'Returns' counter, show them what I have, and ask if it is OK to bring it in to 'see if it fits'. They are usually OK with that, especially, if they do not sell that particular item. Some stores (e.g. Menard's) place a sticker on the item I carry in to show the security guard on the way out if there is a question.

I carried my Oregon 40 V chainsaw into Northern Tool to see if it fit in one of their generic PowerBoxes when I first got it (almost 4 years ago!). Spent 1/2 hour with the Department Manager who had never seen one. Have carried my batteries into surplus stores and home centers, still searching for the ideal carry pouches (garage sale camera case is so far still the closest!).

Interested to hear what you find.
Have you heard any gossip on the brushless Oregon? Voltage or any other specs?

It's just gonna cost more if I like the Ego... $300 to get started...then if I like it I'm gonna need the 4ah battery($200) and a quick charger($100)

Don't! In my Ego is a 4 amps battery.
When your buying, go for two of the two amps. You will thank me for that two pounds less weight. The cost will stay the same and with the quick charger you'll be able to cut constantly.

Have you heard any gossip on the brushless Oregon? Voltage or any other specs?
Supposed to be available 'very soon'. Still 40 V. Uses same batteries. Supposed to be 40% more power.

Apparently, the designers have to choose / make trade offs between chain speed, torque, and battery life.

Anxiously waiting!

Philbert

Supposed to be available 'very soon'. Still 40 V. Uses same batteries. Supposed to be 40% more power.

Apparently, the designers have to choose / makes trade offs between chain speed, torque, and battery life.

Anxiously waiting!

Philbert
Are you gonna get one, Philbert? It sounds like you've been pretty happy with the old model. I think this saw should be light enough for me, and I really like the idea of the auto sharpener on this type of saw. I think I'm fine with 10 18650 cells, would probably get another battery pack. Could probably rebuild the pack with the best Panasonics; I've had great performance from other battery packs I've had rebuilt.

Back