ECHO 58 Volt Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir. It was randomly shutting off, if you waited 10 to 20 seconds it would run again. My theory is the processor is getting confused, and it takes a few seconds to reset. I did not have to pull the battery for a reset, I just waited.

Yup...exactly what happened to the two i tried. I was also able to get it to restart by waiting 10 or 20 seconds too, but reinserting the battery was quicker. And yeah, it simply seems like the speed controller gets confused like you said. It amazes and puzzles me how a company can release a product like this without even testing it to see if it works!! Fricken tarts:)

When it was cutting were you happy with the power it had? I definitely was.

Yup...exactly what happened to the two i tried. I was also able to get it to restart by waiting 10 or 20 seconds too, but reinserting the battery was quicker. And yeah, it simply seems like the speed controller gets confused like you said. It amazes and puzzles me how a company can release a product like this without even testing it to see if it works!! Fricken tarts:)

When it was cutting were you happy with the power it had? I definitely was.
The power was actually somewhat surprising. I ran my Dolmar 421 alongside it, no it isn't as powerful, but closer than I was expecting it to be. When I was boxing the saw up, I noticed that the battery was quite warm, even though it was sitting for at least 15 minutes. I really didn't think I'd be able to run the saw long enough to make it act up, that wasn't a problem.

I'll get the video of the saw running tonight or tomorrow. I'm using a new camera and editing software, so it may take some time.

It amazes and puzzles me how a company can release a product like this without even testing it to see if it works!!
The reviews from pre-release users on the HD website go back to January. So they probably did test it quite a bit. The company making them also has a lot of experience making battery powered tools.

I'm thinking that they made a change going into production, with unexpected results, or maybe there is a quality defect in one of the components. Hopefully, they will get it fixed soon. I was impressed with my short demonstration use, and you guys seemed to really like it while it was working. Maybe we will get more input from other users.

Philbert

The reviews from pre-release users on the HD website go back to January. So they probably did test it quite a bit....

Giving a saw to someone to try out doesn't automatically mean you (as a manufacturer) get the feedback you need. Most of the times you get the feedback you want to hear and that's something completely different and useless.
My Husqy's are in my possession to test them. I do the stuff your not supposed to do with it. When they break down there is a full report with it from the events leading up to the breakdown and if possible a video showing the mishap. They are boxed and shipped through the Dutch import to Sweden.
Whatever happens to the battery topper I'm using now is feedback for the next gen.

No it's not anything to do with torque overload or thermal cutoff. They cut out like this even if you're just revving the saw in the air.....doesn't even have to be cutting in wood. In fact i barely had any cutting out when making big tough cuts . Most of my problems were when I was doing light carving detail work with just the tip of the saw.

Giving a saw to someone to try out doesn't automatically mean you (as a manufacturer) get the feedback you need. Most of the times you get the feedback you want to hear and that's something completely different and useless.

I agree - I posted a similar comment about 'honeymoon' reviews in the other thread. But the cutting out/stopping described is something that should have shown up in early tests. That's why I think that it may be a production issue, rather than a design issue.

Philbert

Here's the quick video I made. As you can see the saw actually stopped dead in the second I made.
Great video - very helpful. Thanks! Except for Chainsaw10's comment about the saw cutting out when revving the saw in the air (quoted below), I would have guessed that it was a thermal overload circuit that was overly sensitive.

No it's not anything to do with torque overload or thermal cutoff. They cut out like this even if you're just revving the saw in the air.....doesn't even have to be cutting in wood.

Andre's video does bring up a comment on expectations for these saws. I have been using the Oregon 4oV (CS250) battery saw for 3-1/2 years now. It came with a 14 inch bar. Just to 'push it', I have cut a 14" log with it (green spruce) - had to let the saw do the work; had to be patient; but made it through. I have cut some dead, dry wood with it - same deal. But this is not what the saw excels at. What it is good at cutting is: green wood up to about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, and dead wood up to about 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Occasional, or incidental use on larger stuff. Smaller branches, etc.: all day, as long as you have the battery packs to swap out.

That wood that Andre' was cutting in that video was pretty challenging for these types of saws, in my opinion. The ECHO should not be cutting out as easily as described, but I would personally recommend a more powerful saw if I was cutting stuff like that on a regular basis.

Philbert

Just watching the echo cut, it seems to hit a torque demand threshold, if that makes sense, after which she no go. And that point is really picky.
That's not how it was behaving, it was shutting off randomly, just look at the second cut, there was very little load on the saw. I also had it stop without any load at all, I just didn't get it on video.

That's not how it was behaving, it was shutting off randomly, just look at the second cut, there was very little load on the saw. I also had it stop without any load at all, I just didn't get it on video.
These saws are really drawing a lot of current, and the protection circuitry (to ensure no thermal runaway) seems to be buggy. It's a rather demanding application. It is a little surprising that such a glitchy product was unleashed on the marketplace.

These saws are really drawing a lot of current, and the protection circuitry (to ensure no thermal runaway) seems to be buggy. It's a rather demanding application. It is a little surprising that such a glitchy product was unleashed on the marketplace.
The whole power management system seemed to be poorly engineered. Not only was the power being cut, it was also fluctuating up and down.

Here's the quick video I made. As you can see the saw actually stopped dead in the second I made.

Im glad i watched this first i was going to pick one up tomorrow.
Kind of dissapointed in echo for this because all of my other echo products have been great

Back