Echo 590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncturkeypro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Couldn't pass up a deal today on a echo 590. I've never owned an Echo before so is there anything I need to know about this saw for tuning? I cranked it today but have not put it to wood yet. I don't have a manual but will try to download one. I will probably do a muffler mod this weekend if it will ever stop raining.

Just like any chainsaw. Make sure it is tuned right, good fuel w/ correct mix, and a sharp chain. Always drain the fuel and run saw dry whenever you are storing the saw for anything more then a week or two.
Welcome and enjoy. FYI no photos or video means it did not happen.

Anybody have pointers on the muffler mod? I did my 550 xp and it was impressive afterwards but have not looked at the echo yet

Cut the 90 out of the deflector first. You will see a nice gain just from this. If you want more, punch a hole (or holes) in the muff but be prepared for the extra noise (which I like).

And by all means, do a tab delete. Go to your local Dental office and see if they will give you some of their old tools. Take a dental pick and pull that metal retainer (around the plastic tabs) out. Then take your pick and pull the tabs out. Trim them with a Dremel, put them back in, then snap the metal retainer back in.

You can do the dry wall screw into the tabs but it boogers up the flathead slot. I think the dental tool works much better.

Attachments

• 620-7.JPG
    620-7.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 620-8.JPG
    620-8.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 074[1].JPG
    074[1].JPG
    718.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 073[1].JPG
    073[1].JPG
    835 KB · Views: 120
  • 070[1].JPG
    070[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • 620-4.JPG
    620-4.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 123
  • P1020334.JPG
    P1020334.JPG
    995.3 KB · Views: 103
  • P1020335.JPG
    P1020335.JPG
    962.5 KB · Views: 76
I cut the deflector off mine a couple days ago, and modified the muffler. It looks crazy ghetto compared to the pics above. I ran a 3/4 hole saw around the exhaust pipe and cut the whole thing out. I reaffirmed that I used my crappy hole saw because I wore all the teeth off of it by the time I made it through the muffler. Finished up with a dremel cutoff wheel and sanding drum. Not a whole lot louder than before except at idle. Has a nice pop to it. Hopefully gonna get it in some wood tomorrow and re-tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut the deflector off mine a couple days ago, and modified the muffler. It looks crazy ghetto compared to the pics above. I ran a 3/4 hole saw around the exhaust pipe and cut the whole thing out. I reaffirmed that I used my crappy hole saw because I wore all the teeth off of it by the time I made it through the muffler. Finished up with a dremel cutoff wheel and sanding drum. Not a whole lot louder than before except at idle. Has a nice pop to it. Hopefully gonna get it in some wood tomorrow and re-tune it.

I left the exhaust pipe because it actually moves a lot of exhaust once the deflector is cut out. I drilled six smaller holes in the muff to add a little as well. It is very impressive how the 600p cuts with such simple mods and I would expect the same out of the 590.

I left the factory pipe because it actually moves a lot of exhaust once the deflector is cut out. I drilled six smaller holes in the muff to add a little as well. It is very impressive how the 600p cuts with such simple mods and I would expect the same out of the 590.
I was surprised how restrictive it was with the baffle plate, pipe, and deflector. All I can comment on now is the throttle response, which seems lightning fast now. It was fats before, but crazy fast now. I'm excited to see how that correlates to actual usable power. Worst case, it sounds bad ass. :) If Hondas get faster with a trash can exhaust tip, this thing should be able to drag race.

I'd like to see a good video as the saw are very well built. I'm sure anti-Echo trolls will be around shortly in order to bash them a bit...

Lol, I know what you mean!!! They may be heavier,but their over built and I dont think any other saw make looks as good inside....they are super clean with their castings and details.

I will see if I can get the guy I did the 620 for out of the woods long enough to get a video made. Im a conservative porterI know more can be gotten!!!

Lol, I know what you mean!!! They may be heavier,but their over built and I dont think any other saw make looks as good inside....they are super clean with their castings and details.

I will see if I can get the guy I did the 620 for out of the woods long enough to get a video made. Im a conservative porterI know more can be gotten!!!

Ready to cut, they are closer in weight than anyone wants to admit:

cs590- PHO: 13lb, 3.2 oz......Fuel: 21.8 oz......Oil: 10.1 oz......TTL: 15.19
562xp- PHO: 13lb..................Fuel: 22 oz........Oil: 11.83 oz....TTL: 15.11
ms362- PHO: 13lb, 3.2 oz......Fuel: 20.3 oz.....Oil: 11 oz........TTL: 15.16

To me a saw can be heavier but it's the feel while working is what's important. If a saw balances good and feels good to me is what I look for. A few ounces doesn't make a difference if things are right with a saw but if it doesn't feel good those ounces are magnafied and the saw just doesn't feel good or make you fatigued using it....that's what important not what the scales say.
There's to much focus on static weight instead of the physical feel of the saw. We all have our favorites and it's not all about performance. Everyone bonds with as saw through feel....if a saw doesn't feel good you don't use it or sell it looking for the right saw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ready to cut, they are closer in weight than anyone wants to admit:

cs590- PHO: 13lb, 3.2 oz......Fuel: 21.8 oz......Oil: 10.1 oz......TTL: 15.19
562xp- PHO: 13lb..................Fuel: 22 oz........Oil: 11.83 oz....TTL: 15.11
ms362- PHO: 13lb, 3.2 oz......Fuel: 20.3 oz.....Oil: 11 oz........TTL: 15.16
Not related to this directly, but how well do you like the CS-800 in your sig?

Update....... I got the muffler mod done today and all I can say is WOW! This thing sounds like a dirt bike! It started raining again so I didn't get to tune it but it sounds close already.

Back