Echo 620P Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarshark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since Masterminds thread on the ported CS 600, I have been looking for a CS 620, but refused to pay retail. I stayed up late one night last week and snagged a non-runner from a liquidator for less than 1/3 of MSRP. The saw arrived and according to the mfg tag, it is less than a year old and in very good shape. One pull on the starter handle and I knew it needed the compession guage....85psi. The pic below is the exhaust side of the piston. Note the correlation of the lean score to the limit tabs on the Walbro HDA 316. Both high/low needles are set to max lean on the stops. I have ne reason that this saw was ever into other than taken out of the box and run til it quit.
My only point of even posting this is to inquire if we may have a site sponsor/or contributor who may have a piston for this saw. According to the Echo parts list and serial number, the Echo part number is P021043990.

IMG_0935.JPG

Since Masterminds thread on the ported CS 600, I have been looking for a CS 620, but refused to pay retail. I stayed up late one night last week and snagged a non-runner from a liquidator for less than 1/3 of MSRP. The saw arrived and according to the mfg tag, it is less than a year old and in very good shape. One pull on the starter handle and I knew it needed the compession guage....85psi. The pic below is the exhaust side of the piston. Note the correlation of the lean score to the limit tabs on the Walbro HDA 316. Both high/low needles are set to max lean on the stops. I have ne reason that this saw was ever into other than taken out of the box and run til it quit.
My only point of even posting this is to inquire if we may have a site sponsor/or contributor who may have a piston for this saw. According to the Echo parts list and serial number, the Echo part number is P021043990.

View attachment 418211
Cranked all the way rich is usually to lean and bet it never seen more than 50to 1 mix on break inn.

Cranked all the way rich is usually to lean and bet it never seen more than 50to 1 mix on break inn.

I bet you are right. I could tell by the condition of the bar(got too hot) that as the saws performance started to suffer, the owner leaned on it harder and it was "all she wrote" from there. We will get her fixed though. I have a 590 Timberwolf and love the saw. Very easy to work on. Took 20 minutes to get the jug off the 620. I wish they all were so simple. A gripe: The 620 has an aluminum handlebar but composite(plastic) handle. I am sorry but a $600 saw should have a magnesium handle. Guess I am just too old.

I bet you are right. I could tell by the condition of the bar(got too hot) that as the saws performance started to suffer, the owner leaned on it harder and it was "all she wrote" from there. We will get her fixed though. I have a 590 Timberwolf and love the saw. Very easy to work on. Took 20 minutes to get the jug off the 620. I wish they all were so simple. A gripe: The 620 has an aluminum handlebar but composite(plastic) handle. I am sorry but a $600 saw should have a magnesium handle. Guess I am just too old.
Yeah im with you there. If im gunna buy new il be cheep and get the poulan wild thing. Other than that i will stick with the slightly old saws of almost any make stihl husky. But my echo 360t is one saw im glad i bought the biggest engine displacement for a top handle no replacement for displacement.

Yeah im with you there. If im gunna buy new il be cheep and get the poulan wild thing. Other than that i will stick with the slightly old saws of almost any make stihl husky. But my echo 360t is one saw im glad i bought the biggest engine displacement for a top handle no replacement for displacement.

I have the 330T and I love that little saw. At 62 it's nice to hold on to something while pruning off a ladder.

Isn't the rear handle the fuel tank? my stihls tank/Handel is plastic

have one on the shelf. $55. so whenever you get that cylinder cleaned up and know for sure that all you need is a piston pm me. Echo has good prices on parts but sometimes they amaze me...piston for a 620 is $55 but what should be a $15 clutch drum also costs $50 :nofunny:

have one on the shelf. $55. so whenever you get that cylinder cleaned up and know for sure that all you need is a piston pm me. Echo has good prices on parts but sometimes they amaze me...piston for a 620 is $55 but what should be a $15 clutch drum also costs $50 :nofunny:

Thank you very much for looking. I should know by late this aft if the jug cleans up. Would you happen to have a base gasket as well ? Might as well get it all in one order.

Thank you very much for looking. I should know by late this aft if the jug cleans up. Would you happen to have a base gasket as well ? Might as well get it all in one order.
for whatever stupid reason i dont have a base gasket. i will add a couple to my next order.

just looked it up and add a couple to the order..bad news though. they are back ordered

Spent a couple hours with the 620P cylinder this afternoon and my jewelers grinder. I believe the jug cleaned up well and is serviceIMG_0938.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG able. I believe the quality of the jug is good. The transfer edges are chamfered well and the overall casting is very good IMHO. Perhaps Brad or someone w/ more experience than I could give me an opinion.
Brad Snelling has graciously offered to port this saw after some well deserved time off. My intent is to prepare for the day when my shop will be much smaller, and I would like a stout 60cc saw combined with a 16", 20" and 24" bar to cover all my needs with a minimum number of saws. And, my neighbor has a MS390 and he needs a spanking !

PM sent. Thanks

Back