Echo CS-590 -- air filter maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackJ

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what folks do to clean air filters on saws like the CS-590 Timberwolf.

Every few tanks I've got the filter cover off, and use a soft brush on the outside of the filter. But most of the dust accumulates right around the filter intake, and it's awkward to keep that hole covered while cleaning.

So a couple of times I've separated the two halves of the filter--there's a tab on each half that makes this pretty easy to do. But I'm concerned that repeatedly opening it up might create a little gap where the halves meet. Once open, I've run some water gently from the inside out, sometimes with a little dish soap, and that does a pretty good job of displacing most of the dust. I let it dry overnight before reassembling.

Compressed air is another option, but seems like that doesn't do a lot to get dust out of the filter pores, unless you use a lot of pressure, and then maybe it could compromise the filter integrity.

Anyone got a best practice they can give me?

1485199536326-211064585.jpg Somebody will complain but i use foaming shower cleaner in the aerosol then spray it off with water when new i put grease around the intake horn now i put an o ring over it to keep fine dust out doesn't look new but it is over four years old lol i need to clean it before i cut again.1485199446080218819313.jpg

View attachment 553305 Somebody will complain but i use foaming shower cleaner in the aerosol then spray it off with water when new i put grease around the intake horn now i put an o ring over it to keep fine dust out doesn't look new but it is over four years old lolView attachment 553304
I spray all the saws down with this and a water hose usually takes all the dust and oil off sometimes i pressure wash hate working on a dirty saw lol1485199826122-373605405.jpg

Chainsaws are much less problamatic then often thought of. If one looks at the chainsaws of the past and their air filters, all the fines went through WITHOUT any problem. The paranoia of mikroscopic clean airfilter is totally out of reality.

Just use a compressor on the outside and dependant on the amount of sawing you do you can clean it from the inside out once a year or more often. If you use your saw often, then replacement of the air filter is normal maintenance just like sparkplug, fuel filter or anything else.

i blow all mine out with air and then use starting fluid sprayed from the inside out. then more air. cuts the grease/oil/grime and dries fast. most of my saws have at least 2 air filters so i can put a clean one on before i go out to saw.
ps. i have run another members 590 (@James Miller) and it is a rippin saw.

I blow all my filters out with air. Every 20 tanks or so I wash out with warm soapy water.(dish soap) rinse well and let dry. I get a good life out of them. I replace ever 2-3 years just depends.

Back