Echo CS-590 - Strange noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way. I ran my tach on it last night. Believe it or not, the settings were pretty much on the money. Will be checking the H screw as the next 5-10 tanks run through it during the break-in. Looking forward to the saw getting stronger per tank.

It will, I've had my cs-400 for about 5 years with no problem, bought it to have a lighter saw with good power. My dad had a Sthil til it got stolen and my brother got him a echo, mainly because I've never had a problem with mine and I was always having to fix that dang Sthil. Glad it got stolen.

Steve

After 6 tanks I pulled my carb h/l limit caps and richen it up a bit on hi side while cutting, was some what on the lean side. The most restricted part is the muffler cause of the converter so I did a slight exhaust outlet mod and removed the spark screen, seemed to pep it up some. Just don't want to gut it, I like it being some what quit.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Continued luck with your cs-400. It paid for itself already. No problems in 5 years. That's respectable. I here you. I'm not much of a Stihl fan myself. The few Stihl pro saws that I owned gave me problems just a few years down the road. I'm still running a few older Husqvarna's with no problems at all. Just a few bars, rim sprockets, plugs, and filters. I keep my saws clean, and my chains sharp. If the logs are clean and I don't hit buried metal, I pull and clean the bar, sharpen the chain, and blast the saw with compressed air once the chain starts to dull. I cut all my wood at 24" for my outdoor furnace. I'm able to get a decent amount cut before I have to sharpen. I usually cut about 16-18 cord per year. That includes 2 truck loads of log length and several trees that fall after winter.
My TT-20K tachometer showed the factory idle at 2800 rpm and the H limit was a little lean at 12,700-12,800
From what is was able to find, the 590 should be 2,700 at idle and 12,500 H limit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I took the idle down to 2,650-2,700 and set the L limit for good throttle response. I took the H limit down to 12,200-12,300
I like to run a new saw slightly rich for the first 3 or 4 tanks.
So far, I'm impressed

I think I'm just going to remove the inner plate that sits directly above the screen on the 590 once I get 6 or so tanks through it. That's the piece that diverts the exhaust towards the back of the muffler. There are several people on here that did it with good results. Once I do that I'll bring the H limit up to 12,500 and see how she cuts.

I hate that they set these saws to run too lean just to pass epa, bought a new Harley in 06 and it was set lean just to be able to pass epa test, had to rejet it so it would run correctly, dealer wouldn't do it under warranty because it meet emissions. Same as saws.

Steve

If ya don't have the adjustment tool, you can always pull the carb and cut across the needle heads with a hack saw to make slots for a small screw drive, done that a few times. Just don't cut too deep.

Steve

Yes, we are all paying for it one way or another. I'm sure if you bought the Harley new in 06, you probably paid well over $15,000 depending on what bike you bought. It's a shame that we have to do anything to get it to run right.

I think Steve was talking about other saws in general that are not slotted in response to the post above. Not Echo's

How do you like those new spill proof EPA gas cans, more gas has been spilt because of them than ever was before. Anyone know where to get a good spout that doesn't cost as much as new can? Steve

Of all the EPA cans, the "No-Spill" work great and are sealed when not used. For filling small equipment, I wouldn't go back to the older cans. However for larger equipment/vehicles with bigger tanks, the old ones fill quicker.

We pop the seals out of some cans or fine a regular spout that will fit, drill a hole at the top behind the handle and put a valve stem in with out the core and the just crack the cap open when we use them. Tractor Supply sale regular replacement spouts.

Steve

Took the 590 out for it's first day of real cutting along with his older brothers. I'm very impressed with it so far. Ran 3 full tanks through as of now. About midway into the third tank, I needed to make some adjustments to the carb. It's starting to wake up, and cuts real nice and smooth. Great AV system. All this for $360 delivered to my door. Can't beat it for the money. All hard wood in this pile to boot, cuts it like a champ. Not fond of the flimsy bar.

Back