Echo CS-590 Timberwolf Muffler Mod - Flow bench Measurements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Team FAST

If I sent you a modified 590 muffler would you be willing to test it?

I just got done porting my 590, still fighting some carb issues. But with a hole punched around the tube. Roughly 3/4" area and a new deflector on top, I feel it gained a good bit. Other than being real loud.

I added one of my large deflectors, and opened up most of the area around the tube.
I have 2 mode 590's to port, would be nice to Taylor port timing to flow bench numbers. Similar to selecting an auto camshaft to match head flow.

Sure. PM me.

Sure sounds like it huh. I never caught that before.
Surprisingly you can sometimes tell the difference between 4-stroking and rev limiting by looking at the spectrum plot. If it is visible, 4-stroking actually does show up as an every-other revolution firing at 1/2 rpm. But the rev limiter appears as a every 3rd revolution firing at 1/3 the fundamental rpm. It's hard for me to hear the difference.

If I can find some time this weekend I'll see if I can tell from your video.

Surprisingly you can sometimes tell the difference between 4-stroking and rev limiting by looking at the spectrum plot. If it is visible, 4-stroking actually does show up as an every-other revolution firing at 1/2 rpm. But the rev limiter appears as a every 3rd revolution firing at 1/3 the fundamental rpm. It's hard for me to hear the difference.

If I can find some time this weekend I'll see if I can tell from your video.
I'd like to see what you find. It would be nice to know what that distinct burp I'll call it is as that's the second 590 iv heard do it.

@Team FAST what's done to your cs400? Just muff mod and retune or is there more to it?

That one just had a carb tune and muffler mod per my own instructions in the CS-400 muffler mod thread I stated a few years ago.

Actually that is my second saw. I have two CS-400s

I'd like to see what you find. It would be nice to know what that distinct burp I'll call it is as that's the second 590 iv heard do it.
I can't see all that much because those are pretty short burps. There are two events I can make out at around 1:05 and 1:06, and both have a noticeable spike at 1/2 rpm, so I would guess it's just 4-stroking (rich). That's hardly very conclusive though. Listening to it the whole cut sounds a little like it's 4-stroking, but it doesn't look that way in the spectrum plot - I suspect it's some sort of reverberation in the audio track.

Then again, it is an Echo........

Great thread. I love Echo and Shindaiwa stuff. Last of the good quality saws. Fully Japanese. Not chinese. I modified the muffler on my Shindy 757 and it made a real big difference.

I've had my 590 for two years and 00 months and I really like it!. I haven't done anything to it yet but I will be doing the mentioned mod to it manana (means tomorrow to those east of the New Mexico). Personally I like Echos, they have been reliable and get the job done, maybe not as glamorous as my Stihl or Husky but they are reliable and faithful... akin to someone you would take home to meet mom. Thank you Team FAST for putting your information out! I look forward to reading more info put out by you!

Attachments

• 20161008_102204.jpg
    20161008_102204.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 20161009_120431.jpg
    20161009_120431.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
Here's a video of the CS-590 with the muffler mod cutting in red oak. It was a tad rich in this video.

In the second video, I leaned the hi speed screw slightly. Pretty happy with the way its running! I am seeing some chain stretch. How much is typical? Seemed to get more frequent the more I cut.

Here's a video of the CS-590 with the muffler mod cutting in red oak. It was a tad rich in this video.

In the second video, I leaned the hi speed screw slightly. Pretty happy with the way its running! I am seeing some chain stretch. How much is typical? Seemed to get more frequent the more I cut.

The stock chain on mine stretched some adjusted once or twice and it was fine. I had the 20" bar on mine buried in red oak noodling Friday they cut well above there price point. @farmer steve likes it and he's a stihl guy so it must be a good saw.:lol:

Is that just muffler modded and retune?

Latest posts

Back