Echo CS-590, what won’t I like about it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Without getting into a tirade about mistreated, unusable saws, I want a decent 60ish cc saw for a truck saw so my 562 can live at my house and the big saws can live at the shop. I am used to Husqvarna professional saws 60cc and up. The Echo seems to only have positive feedback and is priced well below the competition. I just need it to be reliable and big enough for most anything i would tackle in emergency/unplanned situations.
Any input is appreciated.

If you only ever run a 24" bar max the 590 will suit you well. If you go over you may be wishing you got a 620P for a few hundred more. It has more power and better components all around.
I have 2 390xp’s a 385xp, and a 562xp, this is just to rattle around in the truck, between foul weather generator calls and fire stuff I find it necessary to carry a saw. If i need big I have those

It just seems almost too good to be true

I've never run one, but the problem I've had every time I've looked at them is that 3XX or 5XX Husqvarnas have been on sale for close enough in price that I just couldnt talk myself into getting the Echo, and I've never seen Echo have much of a sale.

In Canada the cheapest I can get a 590 is $630 at Home Depot, and I can only get it with a 20" bar. By the time I get a 24" bar on it I've added over $100 which has it costing as much as an anual spring sale 550xp, and within $150 of a Husqvarna 562 or 565 on the same sale. A 620 actually costs more than all of those options, and the crazy thing is that I still know people that buy them and brag what a great "budget saw" they are.

I know the pricing is going to vary from region to region, but one needs to do their homework and be realistic about how much money they are actually saving. Not just parrot the internet opinion while unwittingly paying more for a 60cc Echo than a 70cc Husky. JMO.

I've never run one, but the problem I've had every time I've looked at them is that 3XX or 5XX Husqvarnas have been on sale for close enough in price that I just couldnt talk myself into getting the Echo, and I've never seen Echo have much of a sale.

In Canada the cheapest I can get a 590 is $630 at Home Depot, and I can only get it with a 20" bar. By the time I get a 24" bar on it I've added over $100 which has it costing as much as an anual spring sale 550xp, and within $150 of a Husqvarna 562 or 565 on the same sale. A 620 actually costs more than all of those options, and the crazy thing is that I still know people that buy them and brag what a great "budget saw" they are.

I know the pricing is going to vary from region to region, but one needs to do their homework and be realistic about how much money they are actually saving. Not just parrot the internet opinion while unwittingly paying more for a 60cc Echo than a 70cc Husky. JMO.
I have a family friend who can give me excellent pricing on Husqvarna stuff, but he’s not where I would take it for service, so for the little bit I save, and inconvenience him, I prefer to buy from my local shop. Honestly a 455 would fit the bill just fine for what I want, and probably be cheaper than the 562, these echoes looked like they were straight out of about 25 years ago, which was also appealing, and the same dealer i use for Husqvarna ohhh the agonizing

Worth looking at used saws too. I got a great condition 034 to power a chainsaw winch that became my truck saw when I sold the winch. Think I paid $300 or $350 for it, don't remember.

If the saw is only going to be used a little and might sit a long time between uses, the canned premix is worth a hard look, even though it's stupid expensive for a saw that gets lots of use.

I have a family friend who can give me excellent pricing on Husqvarna stuff, but he’s not where I would take it for service, so for the little bit I save, and inconvenience him, I prefer to buy from my local shop. Honestly a 455 would fit the bill just fine for what I want, and probably be cheaper than the 562, these echoes looked like they were straight out of about 25 years ago, which was also appealing, and the same dealer i use for Husqvarna ohhh the agonizing

For sure, we've all got our reasons, and I'd bet the Echo is a better saw than a 455. I recently agonized over the same thing, different purposes though, and ended up going with a Husky 565.

I've used the CS590 commercially for my landscaping/tree service business, and they've been fairly reliable. Had to adjust the carb a few times, and a handle broke once but was easily replaceable for about $50. Other than that, mostly wear parts like bars and sprockets. I've owned two, one for almost 4 years and another for about 5. It's overall a great saw if you don't want to pay extra for nice fancy things like captive bar nuts, like the Stihl saws. The air filter probably isn't the best (requires more cleaning than my Stihl), but has been adequate. The CS590 is definitely a good bang the for the buck. I've also run echo PAS 2620 powerhead with hedge trimmers, and those have been incredibly reliable, and their hand-held hedge trimmers are high torque, which is nice, but can break. Their 9010 leaf blower is amazing, and very reliable, but their top-handle saws (355t) is high-performance when they run, but quite fragile and susceptible to the handle breaking. I'd recommend the CS590.

A stock 590 benefits from a few simple mods, none of which require a ton of knowledge either. Take the top baffle off the muff but leave the screen intact and re-install the deflector, replace the air cleaner with a Red Beard oiled foam air cleaner / velocity stack and remove the limiter caps and tune accordingly. Very happy with mine and I do run canned gas because it don't get used every day. Matter of fact, it has not run in a month now. 20" roller nose Echo bar for me and Echo bars all have greaseable noses too. Dislikes... The funky on-off toggle switch and the non captive bar nuts and put lock-tite on the screws that secure the felling dogs. I'm quite happy with mine. Best part is the 5 year guarantee (consumer) and the fact that Echo dealers are pretty easy to deal with (I work for one, part time). If you are real anal about the plastic side cover, the 620 alloy side cover with captive bar nuts fits right on. For me, the stock cover is just fine. I may, at some point, install a roller chain catcher instead of the fixed nylon one, but who knows if I will or not. I do like Echo's bar oiling system and it's easy adjustability as well.

Good saw for the price and very reliable as well.

I own some very nice saws, but if the Echo weren’t so affordable. I’d get something cheaper and more disposable. A 590 could last or outlast the saws you already have.

Nice thing about Echo and that is, don't matter where you bought it, every Echo dealer will honor any warranty claim (except if straight gassed) and will be happy to sell you parts and accessories as well, unlike the grumpy Stihl dealers who want you to buy the saw from them and if you didn't, won't give you the time of day.

It's ok to be 'Caddy' I guess but that don't equate to a repeat customer.

The dealer I work for takes in any and all Echo's, don't matter where they came from. In fact, I bought my 590 on the Net from an out of state seller. Same with my CS top handle saw.

I own Stihl's (have 3 of them) but I now prefer Echo's. Like Makita, quality Japanese designed and reliable as a rock.

I have been very happy with my 590 and it has seen some hard use. I will say that the extra $200 or so for the 620 gets you quite a bit in the way of power and features. But by then you are up in price closer to pro saws by other brands. The 590 shines for what it is. Just a solid workhorse at a bargain price. My uninformed opinion is that the 590 is better than the "farm/ranch" saws from the other guys.
If you break or wear out parts on the 590, just replace them with the 620 versions.
Echo runs a "Dealer Days" sale around this time of year (may have already missed it) for another 15% off, I think.

Back