Echo CS 8000 Backfires Through Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For whatever it may be worth -- and you can say it's not much (and that doesn't bother me) -- I have had the problem of spark timing at start (including 'kickback' etc.) when the plug has shown spark and the flywheel key is fine, and I have had the problem of very weak to no spark in compressed conditions at slow rpm when the plug has shown spark (admittedly a little funky-looking, not the sharp little blue snap). Agreed most of the coils that fail just completely fail - no spark at all, a winding opens, or a semiconductor eats it - but I don't think those are 100% of the ignition failures.
You have pointed out another common failure mode, no spark at low rpm. Every ignition system has a minimum rpm that must be achieved before a spark will occur and when electronic components change this minimum rpm can drift up and you can end up with no spark at normal cranking speed.

This one gets style points......how does anyone hold a timing light, in 1 hand, and a drillmotor in the other? Priceless humour.
Chain bar in a vice, sparkplug out and grounded (get creative to hold it down) to visually see spark, leaves (2) free hands for timing light and drill.

You have pointed out another common failure mode, no spark at low rpm. Every ignition system has a minimum rpm that must be achieved before a spark will occur and when electronic components change this minimum rpm can drift up and you can end up with no spark at normal cranking speed.
Usually what I have found to happen when a coil starts to take a sh#t. Low rpm and cold temps and they don't act right.

There were two different coils and two different flywheels used on the 8000. They dont mix and match. The early system uses 3 magnets on one side of the flywheel. The later system uses 2. The early coil has a JEL stamp and the later is Oppama. Another indicator on the later coil is the letter 'A' over near the hold down bolt. Early coil is not marked.

If a late model coil is bolted down with one of the earlier flywheels the spark timing is around 50 degrees out of time. You will get a back fire but that is all.

Identify which flywheel you have and go from there.

Echo sells a kit which has a new flywheel rotor and a new ignition coil for $100 under part number 15600230831. If you want to go thru ebay, I see Duke selling the kits. If you have questions shoot me a message.

Latest posts

Back