Echo cs-8000 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a larger saw and want to budget $400 - $500. Is a used Echo cs-8000 chainsaw for $500 (maybe a little wiggle room to get the price down) a good purchase? I've been using a smaller Echo with an 18" bar and have been pleased with the performance.

I have had one for 8-9 years.. really good dependable saw.. I think I may have worn my clutch out on mine..i'd buy another one..

I also found a Stihl 311 for $350 and a 440 Mag for $400...which of these three seem to be the better buy?

I agree that the 440 seems to be a beast; but the photos i got of it seems to show it is an older model. The Echo is local so I'm going look at it over lunch and see if I can bargin with them a bit. The two Stihls are something I'd have to take half a day off of work to go see.

Low compression, piston damage, air leak symptoms. 500 bucks is a lot of money, and if you don't know the seller, I would want permission to run the saw (preferably in wood), test the compression, and pull the muffler to inspect the rings and cylinder thru the exhaust port

You are correct. This is an ad on craigslist for a pawn shop for the Echo. The other Stihls are from an individual with a lot of other equipment listed as well; also from craigslist. I could likely run it (and would) but doubt they would let me cut into wood or start undoing pieces. I'd really like to save up for a new Stihl sold at a local dealer...maybe that's the best bet for warranty, service, etc.?

I usually advise buying new unless you either really trust the seller, or are comfortable working on saws

I have a John Deere 800, which is the yellow version of the 8000 and paid $100 for it. It had a broken clutch spring, but that was a $3 fix. In my mind the price is at least $100 too high and for that price it better be in awfully nice shape. Most pawn shops list their items high be can be negotiated down, especially if the item has been there for a while. Don't be afraid to walk away from a sale if they won't budge.
JD8001Large.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Brad Snelling)

What color is this 8000 your looking at? There have been several different 8000's over the years.

Early orange 8000p models had the largest carbs and the cylinders with the smallest combustion chambers. These traits are required to make good power. The yellow Deere 800v above would be an example of this design - high torque closed transfer port cylinder.

Next, along came the EPA...and the gray T1E cylinders were issued in place of the earlier designs. Echo has been very accommodating to the EPA, including building a several million dollar air pollution study lab in Illinois. The T1E cylinders had large combustion chambers, flat top pistons and loose squish to keep the oxides of nitrogen down. I think Echo realized that the T1E engines were heavy and slow, but they could not justify the expense of engineering a new 80cc saw in a market that is shrinking. Ask any saw dealer how many 50cc saws they sell vs 80cc models.

The most recent 8000 has a quad transfer port cylinder, factory pop-up style piston, combined with a hemi head combustion chamber with tight squish. Echo noticed their market share dwindling because of power concerns. The public was not interested in longevity and instead wanted power. The release of the cs-4400 followed by the cs-520 showed Echo that they could take some market share from HVA and Stihl. They went out and re-engineered the top end's for both the cs-670, now the 680, and the latest 8000 right around the time they released the 600p. If you follow their advertising, for the first time in their history, theyre talking about power. Its good to have this competition in the market place because it pushes all of the makers to produce better products.

Just a little long winded history behind the model your considering. The 8000 is built as well or better than most. All have closed port cylinders and scavenge through a windowed piston. All have a metal die cast gas tank/rear handle. All have metal side covers and the only real plastic is the top cover. I especially like that the 8000 will oil any bar length, and comes with a thumb pump standard should you need extra. Some parts prices are reasonable, for instance you can put one of these new piston and cylinder kits on an older T1E crankcase for around $150. Part number P050005320. Check any other manufacturer for a top end price and compare. OEM not aftermarket. Overall, a little heavier but once ported, amazing.
http://store.besttruckeq.com/p050005320.html

They just listed it for sale, but they did say $450 would move it. I noticed there was no decompression valve or primer bulb. For saws this size, most would have at least a decompression valve right? It was a gray model; looked okay, but didn't crank up, so I decided it was best to pass. There was hardly any gas in the tank, but it was a bit heavy for what I want. I think a 440 Stihl would be the max I would need for my cutting. A friend I cut with has an 80cc John Deere that he picked up with a 24" bar and that thing is great for the larger wood. It is not nearly as heavy as the 8000.

FWIW...IIRC...

On a forum very similar to AS that we're not allowed to discuss by name, one of the main guys there cuts (cut?) wood for hire, not exactly logging, more like freelance land clean-up and wood processing. His Echo three saw plan is (was?) a CS-8000, a CS-6700, & a smaller saw (I can't recall the model number).

great information, would that 8000 top end fit on my 6700? It has been a great saw, used hard and just keeps going.
I especially like the air filter and the external idle speed adjustment knob.
View attachment 334626

Something tells me No, the 8000 top end won't fit on the 6700. But I've been wrong many times in the past, and will be wrong many times in the future.

Latest posts

Back