Echo's new top handle: CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of guys say that they buy the less expensive saws because the guys on the crew have bad habits of dropping them out of trees or straight gassing them or whatever. I understand the logic behind this, i really do.
But
There are many "skilled trades" out there such as mechanics that have to buy their own tools. So why not in the tree industry? Sad but true is the fact that people take care of their own stuff better than they take care of yours.

I had to put my hands on a 200 t and it was nice. Spins fast; whoever, IMO i am rooting for my cs 355 to kicks its lily ass! I'm not concerned with the 201. The 201 has no place on this forum IMO. its time!

I wish I could be a sthil fan, but unfortunatley I'm not ever going to be one unless they can really prove their products to have fuel caps that don't take five minutes to put on and off, and that don't have air filters that pop off while I'm cutting in the tree, and carbs that I don't have to switch through several adjustments, and of course: less people running around hoo-rahing when my echos simply doing all the work. They all run to this day. Several years into business I ain't seen too many echos that don't simply run. Because echos are the tough stuff that starts on a cold day, that out performs simply because they choose to run and not die half way through a cut. You could beat the hell out of an echo and it will bring you through hell and back. I sold my Sthil back pack blower (yeah it runs sometimes!) and got me an echo too (pb 770). If anything, I'll by a 3120 xp for a logging saw, and not some over rated cream puff that has a particular ring to the name.

here is one close up view (be careful of hazard space) cs 355 with descent gas cutting. you can't get no closer than this in the wild![video=youtube;Vs64Uai6z88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs64Uai6z88[/video]

Last edited:
I have the 355, didn't really want to buy it but I was in a jam at the time and its all they had. I have ZERO complaints about it. It's the only non stihl I own so it sticks out a little but other than that it runs great, and to be honest it sounds pretty cool right out of the box. It was carelessly dropped about 50ft out of a tree and landed perfectly upside down on its top handle which promptly exploded into about 3000 tiny pieces. Got the whole top handle assembly new for about ~$40. Had it back up and running in a few hours. The fuel line routing is a little annoying when pulling the carb but it actually works pretty well.

Ok i got the video

Well as you might know Im an echo fan. Pound for pound dollar for dollar I find echos a great deal for there cost. That being said, I hired a contract climber today, who came equiped with his own stihl ms200t. Just what I've been looking for a 200t, to race against my echo 330t. A smaller predecessor to the echo 355t.

Before I post the video. I would like to take a poll on what you think the actual times were.

These are the parameters.

Wood: dead red oak
wood size: 12" across

Please list: echo 330's time and then the stihl 200's

Only hitch, each saw used the chain that was on it, ( both were sharp ). I didn't really have time to get new chains for each, and all that.

The video is getting edited, so in the mean time, give me your guesstamates on the time you think they cut the wood in.

The 330 is almost 7 years old and its straight up stock, well broken in. The chain was on its last sharpening, just nubs and missing a cutter. Like I said it was a spur of the moment thing and not premeditated at all. So granted the race had some variables between the two saws. I don't own a 200t. I do own an 011 I keep around the house for the wife and kids to play with.

He told me his 200t was over 3 years old, and what appeared to be a fairly new chain the video will show the saw and chains.

well..

I'm far from having any grounds or reference to base my guess on, u know?
Even owning a 360T (that's been broken-in in factory settings plus 10 or so tanks through it after cat' and carb'-limiters removed and re-tuned for 200 meters below-sea-level......and running sweeter than ever) - even that's no reference for me..

I could just take a wild guess, for the sport, that it ended in a tide, since I run 200T & 360T everyday.. Although I have both - I never thought to do head to head because they are both set around 14k'ish RPM no-load , and both do a good job.. u know?

just that one happened to function as a 14" and the other 16" because of the slight bigger bore.. but no actual good reason for that. Just a decision on-the-fly..

I cold keep telling more about it, but I doubt it's gonna do any good :p :)

Jo.

How does the working weight (bar, chain, fuel and oil) of the 355 compare with a 200t?

wait a minute i though the 200T was untouchable....it was only 1 second faster than a 330?

i thinks me laughing at the guys spnding $1400 on ebay for them :laugh:

Good video. It does sound like the 200T still has the spark arrestor in though. One screw and I'm pretty sure it would be a game changer.
I have 2 x 200T's and neither are that quiet so assume it's still got it in. Stock out the box though it's a good video :cheers:

Good video. It does sound like the 200T still has the spark arrestor in though. One screw and I'm pretty sure it would be a game changer.
I have 2 x 200T's and neither are that quiet so assume it's still got it in. Stock out the box though it's a good video :cheers:

The Echo is quieter than the 200t so it could use a little muff work also, no matter how you look at it they're close. It's about time we have a vid of the hyped 200t against another saw. Steve

I could..

The Echo is quieter than the 200t so it could use a little muff work also, no matter how you look at it they're close. It's about time we have a vid of the hyped 200t against another saw. Steve

If u guys want, I can run 200T vs. 360T , both no Cat' and no limiters, also both broken in well and screaming.

Latest posts

Back