Echo's new top handle: CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are a combination of factors as to why most saws are piston ported. The main factor is packaging. A saw engine needs to be light and compact as well as inexpensive. Since saw engines don't use a tuned pipe, they just don't flow enough air/fuel to where a reed valve induction would be a benefit. The piston port conveniently locates the piston higher on the cylinder which allows the fuel tank to be mounted right under it, or at least in the case of most 50cc and larger saws. A reed valve adds additional expense and doesn't give a performance gain for the hp derived from a saw.

yes, i think you're right. the expansion chamber on a high performance 2stroke uses it's standing wave to force unburned gases back into the exhaust port so there is more fuel/air mixture and a higher combustion pressure. as i recall the parameter for this was brake mean effective pressure, though i may be wrong. by using longer interval port timing one can get even higher pressures. that's probably where the reed valve really does the work since it closes the intake side which would otherwise be open. but... in these racing engines, isn't the reed valve used in combination with a piston ported intake?

Ive owned a 360t for about a year and have done a lot of cutting with it. It ALWAYS starts, and it cuts as fast as I need it to while in a tree. I gutted the muffler and had to retune the carb but did notice better performance. Not even kidding, it will start cold in one pull on choke, then I just squeeze the throttle which automatically switches it from choke to run. I like my 360t well enough but my 2 biggest complaints seem to have been addressed with the new 355t. First the chain brake, never liked the single post, it just feels a tad floppy. Second, the width. I felt like the 360 could have been narrowed down, particularly on the flywheel side. I might have to pick one of these new 355t's up.

The echo bashing continues to baffle me. I own and run stihl and echo saws on a regular basis. At least 2 each. I've run the echo's every bit as hard as my stihls and they are both great products. I have a 600p that is my favorite saw, it has hours and hours of use and zero issues, ever. My pro stihls are without a doubt excellent saws and the fit and finish is second to none, but WAY harder to start and much costlier cc for cc. I've been around saws my whole life but have only been cutting seriously with my own saws for a little over a year. I've never seen a destroyed saw that was anything but a victim of operator ignorance, old age, or bad maintenance, much less "piles" of them.

yes, i think you're right. the expansion chamber on a high performance 2stroke uses it's standing wave to force unburned gases back into the exhaust port so there is more fuel/air mixture and a higher combustion pressure. as i recall the parameter for this was brake mean effective pressure, though i may be wrong. by using longer interval port timing one can get even higher pressures. that's probably where the reed valve really does the work since it closes the intake side which would otherwise be open. but... in these racing engines, isn't the reed valve used in combination with a piston ported intake?

Piston port reed induction was early in the development of reed valve engines, but to my knowledge hasn't been used in decades on a high performance engine. Modern reed valves are typically referred to as case reed, where the intake dumps into the crank case. There may be some port coverage from the piston, but they'll be auxiliary ports to side to provide fuel mix flow to the transfer ports.

Here's a TM 125cc skifter kart engine ~45 hp. Basically a straight dump into the crankcase

DSC02291.jpg

Here's a skidoo 800cc rotax twin ~120hp stock, ~150 with some porting and head work. The center port is blocked by the piston at the bottom of it's travel but the side ports provide plenty of flow to the transfers, and the center port is just feeding the boost port when the piston blocking the center port.

$T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihpYCBQc1eT6e!w~~60_3.JPG

Forget the Haters.

One thing not to forget is that some on AS are highly invested in a particular type of saw/brand.

or their brother in law or whatever sells a particular type of saw. Who cares what one dork says. :msp_smile:

I have a good friend who loves his little echo's. Said he tried to kill them but they just keep on goin. :msp_smile:

Adam

Talked to my local echo dealer. He's cut me a good deal a couple times and said he can get me out the door, tax included for $400 even. Soooooo tempting. Maybe I'll sell my 360t and snag one of these little rippers. I can't justify it unless I sell the 360 though. Life is full of tough choices...

Piston port reed induction was early in the development of reed valve engines, but to my knowledge hasn't been used in decades on a high performance engine. Modern reed valves are typically referred to as case reed, where the intake dumps into the crank case. There may be some port coverage from the piston, but they'll be auxiliary ports to side to provide fuel mix flow to the transfer ports.

Here's a TM 125cc skifter kart engine ~45 hp. Basically a straight dump into the crankcase

DSC02291.jpg

Here's a skidoo 800cc rotax twin ~120hp stock, ~150 with some porting and head work. The center port is blocked by the piston at the bottom of it's travel but the side ports provide plenty of flow to the transfers, and the center port is just feeding the boost port when the piston blocking the center port.

I could be wrong but, to me, it looks like both of those engines use reeds. Those big holes into the crankcase are there to insert the reed valve assembly. Maybe I'm misunderstaning your point.

Last edited:

DSC02291.jpg

thanks for the great pictures. the box between the actual port and the carb mounting flange interests me. it's sort of a plenum. perhaps it serves to detune the intake.

i did some checking around and found the parilla cart engine. it has the carb bolted on the crank case, definitely not piston ported. looks like a grown up echo 3400!

the epa being what it is we'll probably be climbing trees with electric saws or leaning out of buckets with hydraulics very soon. never mind that if you combined all the two stroke saws running for one day in the entire country, it would be insignificant to a single boeing 757 taking off from your local airport...

the epa being what it is we'll probably be climbing trees with electric saws or leaning out of buckets with hydraulics very soon. never mind that if you combined all the two stroke saws running for one day in the entire country, it would be insignificant to a single boeing 757 taking off from your local airport...

And there is the rub. Instead of our governments cleaning up their own act with for instance, just cleaning up all the buses in use in our cities, they find it more prudent to go after the OPE industry which generates what, 0.2% or so of pollution?

I'm all for doing our part for the environment but seriously, lets at the very least look at a what makes sense first instead of knee-jerk reactions.

And there is the rub. Instead of our governments cleaning up their own act with for instance, just cleaning up all the buses in use in our cities, they find it more prudent to go after the OPE industry which generates what, 0.2% or so of pollution?

I'm all for doing our part for the environment but seriously, lets at the very least look at a what makes sense first instead of knee-jerk reactions.

I fully agree.

Cancel a couple naval war games exercises or a few unnecessary FA18 cross country joy rides and the fuel saved will likely compensate for all of the two cycle OPE used in Canada in a year. Coming down on two cycle OPE is an exercise in "green" window dressing. Nothing more.

The box as you refer to is where the reed blocks mount, it is not a plenum and does not detune the engine.

$(KGrHqRHJCIF!dKlbyPiBQfMp(vPvg~~60_1.JPG

The question I was answering was in reference to a piston port reed engine, which is a piston ported engine that has a reed valve added. The engines I showed are reed valve induction, they will not run without the reed valve.

there's way too many threads with the word echo in them, shouldn't be tolerated, numbskulls like this onthelevel monkey probably voted for loser romney btw. all the creeps here getting shirty about their junk red jappo chainsaws would have too, clueless as ever

there's way too many threads with the word echo in them, shouldn't be tolerated, numbskulls like this onthelevel monkey probably voted for loser romney btw. all the creeps here getting shirty about their junk red jappo chainsaws would have too, clueless as ever

Seriously are you the only Stihl dealer in NZ? I've only run into one jerk on this website. You are he. PPG. It appears you are the

only one who nobody cares about their opinion. From now on I will ignore this **********. Oh yeah. I am gonna buy an echo too.:laugh:

Adam

Hmmm Ill informed and racist? I suppose Toyota and Nissan make "Jappo" junk as well?

Funny for the number of echo products sold, you don't see many threads on them. Working on this stuff day in and out, echo is one of the least visited piece of equipment in my shop or any other shop I visit for that matter. It is not uncommon to hear stories from unsatisfied Husky 455 or Stihl MS390 owners on a weekly basis. Funny I can't remember the last Echo that showed up with an owner stating it was junk from day one.

Anywho, some related Shinny reed valve "junk" for the thread.

[video=youtube_share;nz6Ud84A03o]http://youtu.be/nz6Ud84A03o[/video]

Looks like junk to me....

[video=youtube_share;_7zCzjuxp_g]http://youtu.be/_7zCzjuxp_g[/video]

And...

[video=youtube_share;7uc8Lc3aDaE]http://youtu.be/7uc8Lc3aDaE[/video]

Latest posts

Back