Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta admit...SC is one honest fella! The only saw dealers I have around me are 2 stihl dealers that have that elitist attitude...I played the 'do you guys have the ms261 in yet'...umm that saw isnt out yet....lol....yes it is...noooo your wrong sir....Im gonna take a movie camera in next time just prove it. If stihl dealers in my area werent such azzholes i'd love to get a 261..why cant they be sold online....to guy like myself..dealers are obsolete....I just want a place to buy parts and i'll fix it myself...plus if you want something done right you have to do it yourself unless your lucky enough to know someone thats not like that.

Just got my 152 out and running. :msp_smile: I was wondering if there is a way to know what kind of carburator it has without taking it apart. Do certain years have a certain carb? I know some came with Zama and some came with Walbro. Mine is a 2008(Sept.)

Would you use this 152 crank??

Would you guys use this crank? Its from a new saw that siezed up during its first tank....strait gased I bet. SC what ya think?:help:I got one episan 152 piston left in B grade and all I have is an extra D grade cylinder for this saw...I suspect too much of a difference and it wouldnt last long. What do you guys think? I cant catch my nail on any of the scoring on the crank..but on the crank bearing it looks like some copper has transfered....bearings seems fine.
185520d1306630483-2010saws-012-jpg

Last edited:
Would you guys use this crank? Its from a new saw that siezed up during its first tank....strait gased I bet. SC what ya think?:help:I got one episan 152 piston left in B grade and all I have is an extra D grade cylinder for this saw...I suspect too much of a difference and it wouldnt last long. What do you guys think? I cant catch my nail on any of the scoring on the crank..but on the crank bearing it looks like some copper has transfered....bearings seems fine.

It looks good enough to use as far as I can tell.
Bob

Thats what I figured just wanted to get everyone's opinion....I wasn't sure if it met OEM tolerances or not...hopefully SC can help me on that. I know if it was slipping before..it might slip again and cause overheating with a quickness....maybe not....thats for you guys to talk about and I get to watch and listen..thanks

Just got my 152 out and running. :msp_smile: I was wondering if there is a way to know what kind of carburator it has without taking it apart. Do certain years have a certain carb? I know some came with Zama and some came with Walbro. Mine is a 2008(Sept.)

HDA 205B is whats on my yellow efco 152...might have to let SC answer the Zama side of your question..also if there were other walbro used..he knows more than I do....

I have to thank everyone on here, especially Stihl Crazy for doing this thread. I would have never given Efco a thought..... never had really even heard of them. I ended up buying a 152, mostly because of all the positive things I heard on this thread and other forums. I spent the entire day cutting with it.... and am very impressed. So were the other two guys I was cutting with, and they are die hard Stihl guys. One had never heard of Efco, but they both admitted that if they had to buy a new saw, they would consider them after cutting with my 152. I am very happy with my Efco!!!! Thanks guys!!:blob2:

i agree with redunshee. i would consider polishing that spot very lightly with some emory cloth though.

yeah do we get to see that ported 152 yet? I wonder who all has a modded 152 since not many would invest in port work on that saw. My cub cadet 152 is just about dialed in...Im satisfied now with its performance even though it wont win any races but at least it will run with a stock 346 now. Im going back in soon. Has anyone ran a 152 gasket less....im too lazy to check the squish..do most 152'a have enough clearance?

This and other projects are on hold for awhile. Health issues have forced me out of the woods. Parked the skidder and forwarder approx 3 weeks ago. Have since sold them. 2 weeks ago I was offered a job with the local Stihl dealer. Closed the sales side of my shop and took the job. Still doing Husky/Jon, Efco repairs at home. Starting to feel better so it seems to be the right move. Plan to have the 152 running for a small race Sept 2nd.

The career change just means that since you'll spend less time chasing wood and the all mighty $$ you'll be able to spend more time posting knowledge , experience and know-how .
May be we should get a new forum up and running called "Forestry and Logging forum , the LEast Coast edition" LOL !

I worked my last day in the woods on July 8th, started a construction job on the 11th. Worked in the woods 27 of the last 30 yrs. but everything has been going up except wages so I had to make a move. It sucks but it's something I had to do. Did get to block up 6 cord for a fellow yesterday though. This job s'posed to be done by x-mas so I should get in for a bit over the winter.

wow..that sucks....hope things get better for ya. We've been waiting on this project for some time now. Hope to see that ported 152 this fall. Little question on porting/widening of the exhaust port....when u go too wide what happens? (outside of catching a ring)I had a huge gain the first 2 times i went in to port during a tear down...now after the third its like its back to stock....maybe a little faster than stock....but not like it was....:taped::bang:
im keeping it basic...cleaned up castings and then widend the exahust and intake ports...no air leaks and good compression 150+

Last edited:
366 posts and 25 pages later, I finally get to the end. Thank you all that have contributed to this thread. I have learned quite a bit from you all. Got a new 156 with a 20" bar yesterday and have run two tanks through it. Like it a lot.

The old 152 is running again. Mild port job. Have to find some wood for a video. GTG/race Sept 10. Classes are 0-50.9, 0-60.9, 0-70.9, over 71, open class.

Here is what I am taking;

0-50.9cc---5000 Partner
0-60.9cc---152 Efco, 158 Efco
0-70.9cc---962 Efco, MT7200 Efco
over 71cc--980 Oleo-Mac, 075 Stihl, IEL-R
open-------357 alcohol/pipe

Giving away a new 152 Efco for a prize.

Last edited:
This and other projects are on hold for awhile. Health issues have forced me out of the woods. Parked the skidder and forwarder approx 3 weeks ago. Have since sold them. 2 weeks ago I was offered a job with the local Stihl dealer. Closed the sales side of my shop and took the job. Still doing Husky/Jon, Efco repairs at home. Starting to feel better so it seems to be the right move. Plan to have the 152 running for a small race Sept 2nd.

Best of luck to you Art, working on Stihls has been know to cause a man to grow potatoes and drink!

Ok its Sept 3rd how did the 152 do?

Back