Efco 156 - recent purchase from dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CbusRog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got what I thought was a decent deal on a new (NOS?) 156 from a dealer in the city where I live. Build date is 12/09. It was sitting on a shelf along with a 152 and 137. All the saws had dust on them, but was told the 156 was on the shelf for probably four months. It was the only one they had in stock. It was tagged for $459, but I got it for $445. They through in the large Efco carrying case for $14.

They fueled it up and started it, letting it warm up for about five minutes. The guy made some adjustments on the carb screws before handing it off to me and sending me on my way.

The saw starts fine, 4-strokes a little at WOT and smooths out in the cut. WOT rpm tachs at 12,700. I'm still breaking it in, so no real complaints except its a little slow to accelerate. I'd like to fatten up the Low screw a tad, but it's already at the limiter stop (no surprise). So I took the top cover off to assess the situation and observed that the High screw was also at the rich stop. That doesn't concern me so much as I usually cut in warmer weather and by then the saw will be broken in and I'll probably need to lean it up a bit.

Anyhow, as much as I'd like to just cut the limiter tabs off and be done with it, I'm concerned about warranty issues. I'd like to re-index the Low limiter by maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn rich. Is there an elegant way of removing a limiter that doesn't involve a drywall screw? My Internet searches only came up with a tool that can be used on some Huskys.

Speaking of warranty issues, while inspecting the carb, I noticed that the diaphragm cover gasket looked wet. I dabbed my finger tip on it and it was indeed wet and smelled of fuel. It's not dripping wet. Damp or weeping would best describe it. No way to tighten the screws without removing the carb.

Would it be best to approach the dealer with what I found and why I found it, expressing my concerns about the slow acceleration, and let them deal with it? I guess I'd find out if they'd run interference for me, or toe the company line. For what it's worth, I live about 100 miles from Emak's USA headquarters.

Thanks for listening.

If it is doing ok in all other respects, I would work through the dealer until there is now warranty left, then do what is needed to make it sing!:rock:

Take it back and let them be a dealer... Have them deal with the weeping gasket, and re-set the limiter for you.
Any dealer worth their salt would oblige those requests. If not, you'll have to come to the conclusion I did...

You're on your own.....
:amazed:

I'd run a few tanks(5-10) through it as is. After that a retune by the dealer is in order. Don't know what type of limiter caps are mounted on your saw but on my Dolmar it wasn't to difficult to dismount the caps. No chance for drywall screws but there was a little lever that was engaging a notch in the carb screw. By lifting that plastic lever and simultaniously pulling it off it was easy to take off and it should be easy to reposition as needed. I haven't remounted it so far.

5 year no fear. take it back the the dealer. thats what its all about.
in 5 years i have only had to put on a fule line. they wont warenty those due to the fact they cant make sure you dont use ethanole. but it got the part from chainsawr and did it myself.

The 2009 build date is normal. Efco imported enough saws before the most recent emissions laws went into effect to see them through about another 4yrs (supply should start running low in 2016 or so based on sales projections). So, don't expect any fresh saws for a while, or truly new models to be coming out.

I have a 156 that I bought new a couple years ago, and it takes a while of running them before they "wake-up". Mine didn't start running right until after the 4th or 5th tank. Good idea to take it back in to the dealer, though.

Update

I took my saw back into the dealer yesterday and all is good. I stood right there and watched while they checked it over in their shop. The communication was great. They removed the carb and tightened the diaphragm cover screws. They told me to not worry about it as long as it wasn't sucking air, which it isn't. They also reindexed the low side limiter and readjusted the carb. They sent me on my way in less than an hour, telling me to have fun with it and to not hesitate to let them know if I have any further problems. That's customer service!

I took my saw back into the dealer yesterday and all is good. I stood right there and watched while they checked it over in their shop. The communication was great. They removed the carb and tightened the diaphragm cover screws. They told me to not worry about it as long as it wasn't sucking air, which it isn't. They also reindexed the low side limiter and readjusted the carb. They sent me on my way in less than an hour, telling me to have fun with it and to not hesitate to let them know if I have any further problems. That's customer service!

Good to hear the dealer took care of you. Wish there were more out there like that.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back