Efco and Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sj701

sj701

Thanks for all the replys I think I'm going to look for an Echo based on dealer count in my area. Only one Efco dealer in my area, while there are quite afew Echo dealers. The only thing is the local Menards has 2 new in the box Efco 152's and I may see if they want to discount them since they have been sitting there unsold for quite some time. The average Menards shopper chooses the Poulans there due to price.

Matt81

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Thanks for all the replys I think I'm going to look for an Echo based on dealer count in my area. Only one Efco dealer in my area, while there are quite afew Echo dealers. The only thing is the local Menards has 2 new in the box Efco 152's and I may see if they want to discount them since they have been sitting there unsold for quite some time. The average Menards shopper chooses the Poulans there due to price.

In the 50cc area, I would look at a 445 or 450 husky for a basic saw, or a 545AT or 550xp for a more heavy duty saw. If i were in your shoes and were choosing between these 2 brands i would probably go Echo also. Everything Echo i have ever owned or run has been excellent build quality and reliability and worked well.

I have owned a Echo600P in the past and it was heavy but a great saw. I currently own a 360T as a back up to my main climb saw (338XPT) I have used many blowers and hedgers and pole-saws from Echo and all have been well worth the money. None of their saws have ever really excited me with performance or handling, but they are reliable and well priced.

I have run Efco's also just to see what the fuss was about. They make well built saws that are the equal of several better known brands. I have run a 152 and it was ok. It was heavy (despite the optimistic 10.7 lbs official specs!!) real world more like 12 lbs. Felt heavier and fatter than my Dolmar 5105 though and has noticeably less chain speed (torque) in the cut. I have heard about people who use the 152 and 156 saws a lot going through a kill switch every year. o_O Don't know what causes this but it is something i have heard from multiple sources.

Just my 2 cents from hands on experience.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
What I find funny is the kill switch comments repeated here a few times. Don't remember the kill switch ever being a problem in the thread of the efco 152 with over 600 refills. I haven't had a problem with them sofar and I use efco and also my new tanaka/hitachi 3801 also has the same switch type. What I do is use some spray can grease into the switch when the saw is brand new. Haven't had a problem with my saws.

Matt81

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
What I find funny is the kill switch comments repeated here a few times. Don't remember the kill switch ever being a problem in the thread of the efco 152 with over 600 refills. I haven't had a problem with them sofar and I use efco and also my new tanaka/hitachi 3801 also has the same switch type. What I do is use some spray can grease into the switch when the saw is brand new. Haven't had a problem with my saws.

Same with anything mass produced. Heaps of people will have zero issues, but you always hear about the few who do have problems. Kind of blows something non existent out of proportion sometimes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. ;)

I have not owned one or run one for anything more than a day or 2 so i cannot comment. I did hear it from several different sources, but honestly it may just be brand haters trying to tarnish the rep of a good saw.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did hear it from several different sources, but honestly it may just be brand haters trying to tarnish the rep of a good saw.
esp on this forum,,as if it aint stihl,,its junk............
I am sorry but I must correct you, the correct sentence would be if it ain't got an outboard clutch and is heavier than the lightest saw on the market, then it's junk!

Latest posts