Electric Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1348

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I did a quick search, but I didn't find quite what I was looking for. Anyway, I am just wondering if there are any electric chainsaws currently available in the US that are worthwhile? I certainly realize that most electric chainsaw are not going to perform like a gas chain saw, but most of the ones I have seen lately seem to be poorly made.

Never mind performance, for some people the reliability aspect of having an electric saw for very occasional use is probably becoming a better option with all the ethanol fuel related issues and OPE. I bought my dad a rechargeable line trimmer and it's the best money I've spent, it always runs right for him!

Some people just don't need performance, what they do need is a low maintenance tool that works reliably for occasional homeowner use.

That 316E Husky sure looks like a nice saw for someone that is willing to pay for quality.

Last edited:
I have three electric chainsaws. I really like my Makita UC 4000 - has been replaced by a newer model. Husqvarna and Johnsered make good electrics in the same $200 - $300 price range. STIHL makes a number of heavy-duty electric chainsaws, but I have not tried them personally.

These saws do not spin as fast as two-cycle saws but have a lot of torque, and several advantages in the right use. Not like the $40 - $60 saws at home centers. You can rent the Makita at Home Depot to give it a try.

Get a heavy-duty (12 - 14 gauge ) 2 wire extension cord - hard to find, but worth it.

Philbert

I did a comparison a while ago and it's on my youtube channel sawfun1. The Stihl 220e is by far the best and most expensive, if you find and old Milwaukee it has a lot of torque and is tough. The best for the money is the Makita or Husky inline saw. Look for the most amps to get the most power.

I use the Stihl 220E at work to cut up large coils of 3" and 4"polyethelene pipe have been using it for over 5 years and can say it is a tough saw not sure about price but I know they are expensive but it has held up very well to a very tough job.

Thank you very much for the replies. As a kid growing up on a dairy farm, we always had a Homelite chain saw around. Our neighbors, who were loggers, made fun of anything that wasn't a Stihl.

Fast forward to my adult experience with chain saws. I had a gas burner for a while. My electric saw experience started with a Poulan Pro 400E 18-Inch 4 HP electric chain saw. It worked for my needs at the time, but I eventually wore it out. Then I bought a Sears Craftsman 4.0 Peak HP 18 in. chain saw Model 34118. I think it was made by Poulan for Sears. I had some issues and it went back to Sears last year. Last year and now this year, when I look for replacements, I don't see much on the shelves at the various Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, Tractor Supply, Northern Hydraulics, and Mills Fleet Farm stores.

However, when I checked a bit further on line, I sort of narrowed to the following:

-Stihl MSE 220

-Husqvarna 316E

-Makita UC4030A

I suspect that the Stihl MSE 220 is the clear winner of the above group and at over $500 for one locally, it certainly ought to be. So, as I go down the list, The Husky seems to have mixed reviews on line. The Makita seems to have consistently better reviews. So, for those familiar with both the Husky and Makita, would it be sort of "a horse a piece" between those tow or would one be a clear winner over the other one?

Check auctions and secondhand stores for older domestic electric saws, many of them are really good and used little. My uncle had a little Homelite back in the 80's and it worked great. I see nice older McCulloch electrics on fleabay all the time for low money.

I bought 2 Makita electrics used from Home Depot rentals. Worked for me, but another A.S. member had issues with one. I know of some Dolmar dealers that will sell you the same saw in red for not much more than $200. That is the way I would go if I had to replace mine today.

Where in MN are you?

Philbert

I am in Rosemount. I have never heard of Dolmar before. It does look like a red Makita. I might just go that route.

Last edited:
The rechargeable battery saws are another option if you want to drop the coin. Starts at the ryobi 40 volt for I think around 200 bucks (don't even bother at less than 36 or 40 volts...), then goes to the oregon/stihl/husky/makita/bosch models for around 400 and up.

I can only speak for the oregon, it works fine for a small occassional use saw.

I think all of them now have various tools that use the same battery and charger, but..not sure. .

Don't forget about the trusty Sawzall either. I use it for stumping small trees and bushes. Works well on roots when digging trenches too. Cheap and the ultimate in reliability.

Don't forget about the trusty Sawzall either. I use it for stumping small trees and bushes.

Sears, Bosch, Vermont-American (?), and a few other companies sell recip blades with teeth like those on a bow saw - cut limbs and branches much better than the construction blades. I use them for pruning lilacs, etc. - places where it is hard to get a chainsaw, and sometimes, even a pruning saw.

Philbert

Sears, Bosch, Vermont-American (?), and a few other companies sell recip blades with teeth like those on a bow saw - cut limbs and branches much better than the construction blades. I use them for pruning lilacs, etc. - places where it is hard to get a chainsaw, and sometimes, even a pruning saw.

Philbert

Milwaukee does too. The 48-00-1303 12" pruning blade. They also make a 9" which is the 1301.

I have a Makita UC4030A and am very happy with it. Just used it the last weekend to cut up the old boards from my terrace. On weekends it is nice for the neighbors to have less noise. I have also read very good reviews from the "side engine" Makitas. It always depends on how much you need it. I got mine on sale for an el cheapo price. Actually I got the last two. One I gave to my BIL(He's not a friend of gas chainsaws). He made his firewood with it for the last few years. Never missed a beat. Now he used it to cut up the construction wood (lot of abbrasive stuff f.e.sand, concrete, etc. in that wood) of the house he is building.

I have a $100 'chainsaw-on-a-stick' pole pruner that I have used on many trees. But very light duty - won't hold up to any heavy or extended use.

Philbert

Probably same thing I have, and specifically why I got it was to trim a few limbs every year. Ended up pruning a lot of limbs and even got carried away and felled and bucked 2 trees about 8 inches in diameter and about 15 foot tall. Thing never missed a beat. Now, it's possible the thing could catch fire next time I use it, but so far it's been great.

Back