Electric power generator standby

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We had (again) a power outage in Sweden after a storm. This time it lasted a full week, so I went out and bought a (Chinese) 3-phase electric power generator. I know that many of you people live in rural areas and have the same problem. My question is: How often do you test-start your generators to keep them operative during the year, and how do you avoid that the gasoline in the tank becomes old before use?

I would suggest exercising the generator for about 10 minutes once a week. Regular pump gasoline here in the US is pretty crappy any more. Can you get aviation gas? It is a much more refined and stable gasoline although more expensive.

The Generac home standby units that we sell exercise themselves once a week for 12 minutes. If you had to do that manually that would likely be a pain in the backside. You could likely get away with running it for 45 minutes once a month and keep stabilizer in the fuel. That way you will keep cycling fuel through the system and keep it topped up with fresh stuff.

here in the usa--we have all diff brands of gas stabilizer you can buy---i use stabil brand for allll my small engines--as you never know when youll be running them or not--and it doesnt cost that much--

If you plan on keeping as a standby for a long period of time, do a propane or natural gas conversion. It can sit for years and still fire right up.

I run mine at home for at least 10-15minutes every 2 weeks with a load.This is important.If not you might find out that it needs to be "excited" to work again.And dont forget Stabil or a similar brand for fuel treatment.

Part of my last job at the phone co. was to test out gen sets in the remote and local offices. We ran them full load for two hours once a month. These were propane and diesel units. We actually did a power failure simulation to test them for auto start. Very few failures. They were Onans, Stamfords, Volvos and Duetrz air cooled. All had block heaters or oil pan heaters. The diesels had their fuel remotely filtered and treated once a year to keep it good.

Bob

Bigbadbob, I also used to work in phone company COs. We had Detroits, Cummins, and Ford 460 (natural gas) gennys we ran for an hour every 2 weeks. This was a full load transfer test.

I know my little Honda 2000i genny doesn't like gas over a month old. I keep a couple of gallons at home, dump 'em in the vehicles and refill the cans once a month. My mom & dad are considering a whole house natural gas genny also.

If you have stabilized gas (good for 12 months or more), once a month or two, is plenty... Sometmes mine goes 4 months or more (I forget in the summer). Had it for 10 years..

If you have an electric start, invest in a decent marine type multistage charger (not just a "trickle charger") and leave it connected at all time.

I have a 5,000 watt Honda gas generator. I have had it for almost 20 years. It was a god-sent during the winter of 95. We had no power for 2 and a half days when heavy snow took down the area power lines. I fire it up the first of every month and put a load on it. I also change the oil once a year if I don't put more than 25 hours on it. And only keep a small amount of gas in it so that it won't go bad. If I had the money, I would go to a propane gas standby model. That's where it's at.

Honda ES6500 here. It's not picky about fuel. Every couple of months or so. Stabil. Run it through this rig:

attachment.php

Hello Folks
I will be buying a generator in the near future, do I get a stand-by or a portable? What brand should I consider? Summer time I need our Fridge/freezer, and TV.. Winter time furnace, fridge, TV, Well pump...
God Bless
Big Daddy

Here, Ill get it On topic.......

Homelite started out as "The Home Lighting company" Making generators in the 20's? 30's?.

They were used in rural locations as back up to the "Newfangled Electricity" when the power went out.

Fire departments also used them for on scene lighting during emergency's.

Heres mine.......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok, now lets talk about generators.

Last edited:
If you have stabilized gas (good for 12 months or more), once a month or two, is plenty... Sometmes mine goes 4 months or more (I forget in the summer). Had it for 10 years..

If you have an electric start, invest in a decent marine type multistage charger (not just a "trickle charger") and leave it connected at all time.

What's the difference between a marine multistage charger and a trickle charger?

This is not off-topic, it's for the electric starter of my chain saw:hmm3grin2orange:

Back